Vegas 12 totally unstable!

marcel-vossen wrote on 12/20/2012, 1:40 PM
Today I installed V12 after a long period of hesitation, because I was working on some important projects with V11 and with the trouble I had in the past with earlier versions I waited and now I know that was not a bad idea.....

After I installed it, I started my first project and encountered that very familiar feeling of constant random crashes, hangups and problems....

Reading some of you posting very positive feedback, I realize that it must be either my plugins (I have Newblue and Magic Bullet) or the footage I work with (MOV from a Canon 5D and MP4 stockfootage for this one)

Today I even managed to see a RED preview window followed by a crash after just dragging 1 M2T video file into the timeline and trying to preview it...:(

Does anyone have any suggestions to what is causing this?

Marcel

Comments

TheLaw wrote on 12/20/2012, 8:04 PM
Works well for me. I've seen the red window when I had plugins loaded, Neat Video along with NewBlueFX. It's probably a plugin causing the problem. Vegas 12 otherwise is pretty stable at this early stage.
Geoff_Wood wrote on 12/20/2012, 9:52 PM
Did you give V12 it's own personal brand-new virgin Temp file location ?

Projects originated in V12, or from V11 ?

Does it do it before an NewBlue added ?

geoff
Grazie wrote on 12/21/2012, 1:19 AM
Marcel, do yourself a favour- fill out your PC specifacations. Help us to help you. Do this will show us that we are speaking about a PC that has at least a minimum level of capability. You might want to enter the drivers for your Graphics Card too.

We need more detail. Click on my name and you'll be able to view my specs and the level of detail we can share and compare.

Cheers

Grazie

DanHarr wrote on 12/21/2012, 7:52 AM
I'm another constant crash sufferer, but you guys mentioned something I haven't tried. I have some old NewBlue plug-ins and I've noticed I have several iterations of the NB Titler. Is there an easy way to disable all 3rd party plug-ins, give V12 a test and determine if it improves reliability?
DanHarr wrote on 12/21/2012, 7:58 AM
...Also, being primarily an "audio guy", I've got the Waves Mercury bundle which is over 100 VST plugins, now all 64 bit. I wonder if THAT provides another hit on relibility? I've already had to give up my regular audio system because Sony's ASIO is super buggy. Also had to give up my Tranzport and Mackie Control because they stopped working in Vegas vers. 10 (or maybe 11).
DanHarr wrote on 12/21/2012, 8:07 AM
-and Grazie, you and I have very similar systems. Is it my older graphics card? MADI hardware? UAD VST plugin board?

And really, to what degree are we end users responsible for making Vegas work on our systems? I've used Vegas since the introduction of the product. I don't mind making a few changes but if I have to eliminate all my plug-ins, buy a different computer and eliminate all my other software in order to make Vegas work, well, it doesn't make for a viable product.
notsopro wrote on 12/21/2012, 9:13 AM
I had this same problem after installing the NB titler over an old one. Uninstalled both then re-installed newest and no more problem. Worth a try.
DanHarr wrote on 12/22/2012, 6:43 AM
Thanks for the suggestion- tried uninstalling all my newblue plug-ins and have only re-installed the titler, but for me I'm still getting 10+ crashes per hour.
ScheffFrog wrote on 12/23/2012, 8:18 AM
Just saw your post and wanted to throw my two cents into the ring. After years of frustration with Vegas Pro running as smooth as she did in the earlier versions I discovered simply by turning off all the Windows 7 visual effects that not only did all my problems go away, but I have configured things since in my system and have been rendering two files at a time, (two different V12 programs opened on the same CPU.) Plus working with other projects in a third opened V12. Now I do this in a multiprocessor I-7 board, but I would still give this little secret a try.

Many have found this to be quite successful in eliminating the crashing, red-screens, ect. And I have been able over time to test how much of the windows 7 gooey I can allow without effecting V12.

On the New-Blue issue... I use almost anything they have created except for the last Essentials package. Which I hope to get for Christmas! I do, however, still have problems using their Titler. I understand Version 2 is working very well with V12. I'm frustrated that in our purchase of V12 we did not get a free upgrade to NB Titler 2. I think that should have happened seeing that NB is now a part of the V12 package. I just wanted to say I think that was a unkind move in the promise of an additional plug-in that would come in the volume of purchasing V12, but then to find out that the plug-in still didn't work, and the update still has bugs, but you can purchase NB Titler 2. Unless Sony Vegas has decided to no longer continue having New Blue Titler in the volume of the purchase of future Vegas Pro. Not mad, just felt that wasn't entirely fair to those who really anticipated the resolve between V12 and a wonderful plug-in.

Best wishes, and may God in heaven give you great peace and you endure the process to finding it easier to work with V12. Everyone on this forum are wise and know a great deal of things that will help. Keep searching the forum for answers. They are there!

MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone!

Ribbit!
DanHarr wrote on 12/23/2012, 2:33 PM
Thanks ScheffFrog!
I'm gonna try it as soon as the football game is over (Redskins Eagles).
I think you are on the right track- V12 has been better today after setting my preview window to a much lower resolution. This to me is odd since I tried turning off gpu acceleration with no improvement in reliability.
marcel-vossen wrote on 12/24/2012, 6:32 AM
@Grazie: My system specifications are completely filled in, but they don't show up when I click my own name....another thing from Sony that doesn't work? :(

Here they are again:

System #1

Windows Version:7 64-bit

RAM:16Gb

Processor:i7 2600

Video Card:Gigabyte GTX-550 Ti

Sound Card:External USB Edirol UA-25 EX

Video Capture:none

CD Burner:none

DVD Burner:PlextorBlueray

Camera:Canon 5D mark II

Add. Comments:Using Vegas Pro 11 built 595 64 / 594 32
vkmast wrote on 12/24/2012, 6:46 AM
Marcel,
re your system specs showing, did you select to 'Display system information on my forum profile page' and 'Submit' in Forum Settings? And like Grazie said, the graphics card driver version probably matters too.
VidMus wrote on 12/24/2012, 7:44 AM
"...And like Grazie said, the graphics card driver version probably matters too."

Drivers for audio and other add-on devices also matter.

Vegas 12 is normally quite stable here but if I mess with audio drivers for instance then Vegas 12 can get very unstable.

Vegas seems to be driver/device sensitive.

An O.T. Note: My dad passed away on December 18 so I have not/will not be here much for a while. A lot of things going on right now. He was a Marine in WWII.

marcel-vossen wrote on 12/24/2012, 8:42 AM
Thanks , I guess now my hardware is visible here too!

Driver versions are the latest, I updated the driver of my videocard to 9.18.13.1070 as part of the troubleshooting process....

The audio is an external device and I've never seen any updated version of the drivers, its still UA-25EX Driver Ver.1.0.0 for Windows® 7 64-bit Edition

That might be because the drivers are superb or because they can't be bothered to bring out new drivers...

Regards,

Marcel

marcel-vossen wrote on 12/24/2012, 8:44 AM
@Vidmus thanks for your input, and I wish you strength with the loss of your dad!
VidMus wrote on 12/24/2012, 9:24 AM
@ The Dude

I did a Google search for 'USB Edirol UA-25 EX' and according to B&H it is no longer available. So that is probably why they do not update the drivers. It may be obsolete and not compatible with Windows 7 64 bit? A number of other places say it is no longer available.

There was info about it being for Windows Vista so it might not be 100% compatible with Windows 7 especially 64 bit.

You might try Vegas without it using a backup boot without the drivers it uses and just use a standard sound card or the built in MB one for testing and then see if Vegas becomes stable or not.

You might need to get a new Edirol or something else.

Thanks for your comments on my Dad.

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com/ccm
Laurence wrote on 12/24/2012, 1:32 PM
For my system and stability, the big thing is the RAM preview memory. I can only use the GPU acceleration if I set the RAM preview memory to zero. Even then, I can't render if the RAM preview memory is set to some value other than zero. For me at least, V12 stability is all about setting the RAM preview memory to zero. Yeah, I miss shift-b, but at least it doesn't crash.

I would love if this was fixed some time before V13 was released, but frankly I don't expect it to be.
dk101 wrote on 12/25/2012, 9:29 AM
I too am finding 12 to be more unstable than 11 at the moment. The minimal test "project" i have that crashes all the time is a simple pan'n'scan image with noise generator on top. image has pan/crop->brightness and contrast->colour correction on it. nothing too taxing, really. switch to any full preview, play (nothing happens), stop and ... it hangs. always. granted, i am doing it at 1920x1080x128, 50p but still. my machine is not that bad and it should be able to do this without too much trouble. i will see if i can remove more from the project and see what the problem is.

interestingly 11 is fine with this (as it should be).
dk101 wrote on 12/26/2012, 8:49 AM
some digging around finally pointed at the likely root cause. i was using floating point (full range) pixel format with 2.222 gamma and ACES RRT sRGB transform and i forgot i had this on. if i switch go with 8-bit all is well. v11 was in 8bit and that is why it was working. doh!

we all know that plugins behave differently under 32bit and that historically there have been probs with 32 bit so i guess i should have expected this...
GuidoR wrote on 12/27/2012, 1:43 PM
I have absolutly the same combination in all Terms and the same Problems too, plus trouble with GeForce GT640 hangers.
I startet MB or Titler and after short working with, Vegas crashes!
And most the time of normal work, some strange effects brings it to crash down.
I don´t know what Sony thinks of that?
mx1497 wrote on 1/1/2013, 10:17 PM
Yes, I heard something to that effect also. I was having bad crashes - so I right-clicked on the Vegas Pro 12 desktop shortcut and, on the Compatibility tab, checked "run this program in compatibility mode for" and selected Windows Vista.

It's been working so far.