VP18 Update 334 released

Dexcon wrote on 9/21/2020, 2:56 AM

Just opened VP18 and the update dialogue box came up. The list of new features is:

Changes in Update 1  build 334

Features

Support for HEVC HDR presets available for NVENC

AMD support for Driver Update dialog

NVIDIA Quadro support for Driver Update dialog

Smart proxy generation based on GPU capabilities

Greater ability to move the Region of Interest for Video Stabilization

Interface to VEGAS Image

Direct control of Motion Tracking from withing the Bezier Masking FX

Progress bar on the Motion Tracking panel is now clickable

Bug Fixes

Better handling GPU auto selection

Fixed crash on startup related to some Intel GPU drivers

Flicker Control FX thumbnail now displays properly in Plugin window

Colorization FX thumbnail now displays properly in the Plugin Window

Auto update for VEGAS Image and VEGAS Effects now functions

VEGAS Pro 17 projects that have the Slow Motion FX will no longer cause a crash

Grids in Expert mode on the Video Stabilization FX now work properly

Style Transfer and Colorization plugins now work on all supported hardware

Motion Tracking icon in the timeline toolbar correctly opens the Motion Tracking panel

Render progress dialog now remains in focus when open

VEGAS no longer freezes when clicking into another application while the Render Progress dialog is open

Proxy generation and use of Proxy files now work as expected

Motion data now properly applied to 2D parameters

Fixed problem where some Notebook GPUs are not detected by the Driver Update dialog

Exposure control in the Color Grading panel no longer clips in full-range projects

Fixed crash when reading in a file that was rendered from a 360 project with a non-hardware accelerated template

Improved performance of Plugin window thumbnail generation

Some iPhone files will no longer appear inverted in the Explorer window

Clicking on a Panasonic P2 template in the Render As dialog and then clicking a different format now allows editing of the file name

Fixed crash on shutdown

Adding Motion Tracking to a Lens Flare FX will no longer cause a crash

Picture in Picture FX now works properly in Free Form mode

Pan and Crop will no longer crash if "Collapse loop region" option is enabled in preferences

Hide the Third Party tab in the plugin window if no third party plugins are installed

Default format for Save Snapshot feature is now PNG

HDR templates now displayed when they should be available in the Render As dialog

Change the default render formate in the Render As dialog

Video Stabilization no longer causes VEGAS to hang on playback with some AMD GPUs

Interlaced templates now available in the MAGIX AVC/AAC render plugin

Fixed problem with selection of animation keyframes that are not aligned with frame boundaries

Crash when clicking on the Creative Tab in the Video FX plugin window is fixed

Saving and loading of Favorites in the Plugin Windows now works as expected

Collapsing track groups with a fade applied to events no longer results in crash

Opening the Motion Tracking panel from an event's burger menu now properly selects the event

Fixed a crash when reading some MP4 files with an unusual AAC format

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX100E; GoPro Hero 11 Black Creator Edition

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 2TB Samsung 990 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

E: drive: 2TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD

F: drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

Dell Ultrasharp 32" 4K Color Calibrated Monitor

Comments

Dexcon wrote on 9/21/2020, 3:16 AM

Style Transfer and Colorization now work. Yay!

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX100E; GoPro Hero 11 Black Creator Edition

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 2TB Samsung 990 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

E: drive: 2TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD

F: drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

Dell Ultrasharp 32" 4K Color Calibrated Monitor

vkmast wrote on 9/21/2020, 3:35 AM

Expect an official announcement here later today when the U.S. office in Madison WI wakes up.

alifftudm95 wrote on 9/21/2020, 4:50 AM

I still dont see render dialog upon rendering

Editor and Colorist (Kinda) from Malaysia

MYPOST Member

PC DEKSTOP

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x

GPU: RTX3090 24GB

RAM: 64GB 3200MHZ

MOBO: X570-E

Storage:

C DRIVE NVME M.2 1TB SSD GEN 4

D DRIVE NVME M.2 2TB SSD GEN 4

E DRIVE SATA SSD 2TB

F DRIVE SATA SSD 2TB

G DRIVE HDD 1TB

Monitor: Asus ProArt PA279CV 4K HDR (Bought on 30 August 2023)

Monitor: BenQ PD2700U 4K HDR (RIP on 30 August 2023)

andyrpsmith wrote on 9/21/2020, 5:20 AM

Looking good so far. Colorization fx now shows where before did not work. Also looks like the crash has been fixed if you try and open new file while Vegas is opening an existing project. well done Vegas team. Thanks.

Last changed by andyrpsmith on 9/21/2020, 5:58 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

(Intel 3rd gen i5@4.1GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, 1080Ti GPU, Windows 10) Not now used with Vegas.

13th gen i913900K - water cooled, 96GB RAM, 4TB M2 drive, 4TB games SSD, 2TB video SSD, GPU RTX 4080 Super, Windows 11 pro

chris-minchin wrote on 9/21/2020, 6:01 AM

All good for me from what I have looked at so far. Keeping fingers crossed that they have got the whole nest of bugs.

Former user wrote on 9/21/2020, 6:03 AM

Loading Sony A7SIII HEVC 4:2:0 10bit still crashes Vegas. Sources said Magix were going to fix that even if 4:2:2 was never going to happen anytime soon.

Looks like a problem with building proxies using NVENC. it keeps building the proxy over and over, also it's very slow at encoding, only encoding for 50% of the time, also it's encoding at 1080P, if vegas has to playback a proxy file of 1080P60fps many slower computers will have problems. I think anything above 30fps resolution of proxy should drop to 720P automatically and should be an option to choose 720P or 1080P as default option for proxy

pierre-k wrote on 9/21/2020, 6:47 AM

in the I / O tab I cannot activate GTX970 in a new update.
In the Video tab I have the GTX970 active.
Game drivers 456.38

j-v wrote on 9/21/2020, 7:30 AM

It is possible by activating legacy AVC decodingg and after restart the other possibilities become possible.
When I did it, I became all kind of renderproblems and -faults.
The best setting for me is to use the default settings the program finds at the new start for Video and I/O File.

met vriendelijke groet
Marten

Camera : Pan X900, GoPro Hero7 Hero Black, DJI Osmo Pocket, Samsung Galaxy A8
Desktop :MB Gigabyte Z390M, W11 home version 23H2, i7 9700 4.7Ghz,16 DDR4 GB RAM, Gef. GTX 1660 Ti with driver
560.70 Studiodriver and Intel HD graphics 630 with driver 31.0.101.2127
Laptop  :Asus ROG Str G712L, W11 home version 23H2, CPU i7-10875H, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Studiodriver 560.70 and Intel UHD Graphics 630 with driver 31.0.101.2127
Vegas software: VP 10 to 21 and VMS(pl) 10,12 to 17.
TV      :LG 4K 55EG960V

My slogan is: BE OR BECOME A STEM CELL DONOR!!! (because it saved my life in 2016)

andyrpsmith wrote on 9/21/2020, 8:06 AM

Game drivers 456.38

Same for me with 1080Ti card

(Intel 3rd gen i5@4.1GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, 1080Ti GPU, Windows 10) Not now used with Vegas.

13th gen i913900K - water cooled, 96GB RAM, 4TB M2 drive, 4TB games SSD, 2TB video SSD, GPU RTX 4080 Super, Windows 11 pro

alifftudm95 wrote on 9/21/2020, 8:08 AM

Game drivers 456.38

Mine doesnt display since day 1. RTX2060, seems VP18 cant find my GPU.

only VP17 can detect my RTX2060

MYPOST Member

PC DEKSTOP

Storage:

E DRIVE SATA SSD 2TB

F DRIVE SATA SSD 2TB

G DRIVE HDD 1TB

Former user wrote on 9/21/2020, 8:22 AM

I can confirm GPU video decode does not work for Nvidia or INTEL. This is a shameful embarrassment. You need to cancel whoever is beta testing for you, Send a kill signal on this version to disable, and never admit to ever releasing it. I am returning to previous version

j-v wrote on 9/21/2020, 8:24 AM

@andyrpsmith and @alifftudm95

Which cards does the program find at Help/check for driver updates?

Last changed by j-v on 9/21/2020, 10:36 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

met vriendelijke groet
Marten

Camera : Pan X900, GoPro Hero7 Hero Black, DJI Osmo Pocket, Samsung Galaxy A8
Desktop :MB Gigabyte Z390M, W11 home version 23H2, i7 9700 4.7Ghz,16 DDR4 GB RAM, Gef. GTX 1660 Ti with driver
560.70 Studiodriver and Intel HD graphics 630 with driver 31.0.101.2127
Laptop  :Asus ROG Str G712L, W11 home version 23H2, CPU i7-10875H, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Studiodriver 560.70 and Intel UHD Graphics 630 with driver 31.0.101.2127
Vegas software: VP 10 to 21 and VMS(pl) 10,12 to 17.
TV      :LG 4K 55EG960V

My slogan is: BE OR BECOME A STEM CELL DONOR!!! (because it saved my life in 2016)

andyrpsmith wrote on 9/21/2020, 8:33 AM

Just tried a render using Magix AVC and looking at task manager it is showing the GPU as using both video encode and encode during the render. (j-v using driver update it finds my 1080Ti just fine and has in in the video tab). Looks like the Auto (off) is still using the GPU as both timeline is good as before and render seems to work as before.

Last changed by andyrpsmith on 9/21/2020, 8:35 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

studiolynga wrote on 9/21/2020, 8:55 AM

Is there a direct link to the update somewhere?

I tried 3 times now without success. "Cannot perform update while program is running" even if I shut it down.

vkmast wrote on 9/21/2020, 9:00 AM

I would expect there will be an "official" announcement in Forum's News / Patches later today.

Meanwhile try https://www.magix.com/int/support/my-service-center/product-downloads/

Former user wrote on 9/21/2020, 9:26 AM

Looks like the Auto (off) is still using the GPU as both timeline is good as before and render seems to work as before.

No it's not. I returned to previous version of vegas18, and found to my horror that it also no longer could use gpu for decode, set to auto(off). I chose the reset to default option, restarted vegas original release vp18, and got both intel and nvidia decoding options back. I then reinstalled latest vp18 and this time the video decoder settings stuck. Try choosing default decoder settings for FILE IO and restarting. it is possible it will work fine

Mohammed_Anis wrote on 9/21/2020, 9:34 AM

I can confirm GPU video decode does not work for Nvidia or INTEL. This is a shameful embarrassment. You need to cancel whoever is beta testing for you, Send a kill signal on this version to disable, and never admit to ever releasing it. I am returning to previous version

No issues here on my 1080ti.

Although, I should note that I did install the Studio Driver they released a couple of days ago.

Also QSV rendering is functioning appropriately.

So far, so good.

Last changed by Mohammed_Anis on 9/21/2020, 9:36 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

"I'm a part of all that I've met." Alfred Lord Tennyson

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/VEGASCREATIVEACADEMY

Card name: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor             (24 CPUs), ~3.7GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM
Monitor Id: PHLC18F
Native Mode: 3840 x 2160(p) (59.997Hz)
Storage Devices: 2 SSDS, One large HD. VEGAS is installed on SSD

Former user wrote on 9/21/2020, 9:40 AM

Yes, all their testing may have been done with latest studio drivers, and it all worked, and if you already have those installed, maybe everything works without problem. If not, while in file IO, click "DEFAULT ALL , and restart, it should bring back Nvidia/Intel decoder options

I should also note I did install studio drivers after problem with no gpu decode, and before resetting decoder settings, but It asked me to reset computer, so I took that to mean those drivers are not active yet, but if people reset and still have no decode settings then it means the new drivers did take effect and they need to install new drivers

VEGASHeman wrote on 9/21/2020, 10:06 AM

For those having issues with Hardware Decoding in the latest update, here are some more details of what has changed:

- One of the major sources of crashes in the earlier versions of VEGAS was related to hardware decoding, more specifically, crashes in the drivers. This would occur when the user would actually try to use the hardware decoder (either showing thumbnails, or adding files to timeline). Besides this issue, the user needed to manually set the hardware decoder to use anything other than Intel QSV - it was up to them to set the right decoder.

- In VP18, we decided to detect all hardware decoding solutions available on the system, and try and instantiate them ahead of time (at application startup), to help us automate the process, and make a better choice for the user. However, this caused application crashes/freezes on certain systems with out-of-date drivers. So for Update 1, we move the detection to a separate process which is run when VEGAS starts up. If this independent process crashes or freezes up, VEGAS will simply disable the hardware decoding feature, instead of itself crashing. The detection code is the same as what was available in VP18 original release, just the process it executes in has been moved, so we would not expect users who had this working in VP18 to see problems. We did test this extensively (both internally, and through the beta process), but it is hard to cover all possible cases of OS/Driver configurations, so we will work with those of you who see issues to try and help you resolve it.

- For those of you who see issues with the hardware decoding not showing up, and who have otherwise up to date GPU drivers (which can be verified using the Help -> Check for Driver Updates feature), please post the contents of the files in the following folder "C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\MAGIX\FileIO\1.0" (replace <USERNAME> with your actual Windows user account name). In case of normal detection, there will be a file called "So4HardwareDetectionOutput.xml", otherwise there will be a file called "So4HardwareDetectionError.log". Please post the contents of the latter file if you run into issues, or contact me directly via a PM.

Video_flaneur wrote on 9/21/2020, 10:08 AM

In my case, things now appear to work provided I disable my Intel driver (even though latest driver installed) before running VP18 and leaving just the Nvidea drivers. No need for me to rename So4Reader.dll any more.

Laptop: Asus W.10, 64 bit, i7-3630QM @ 2.4 GHz; 16 GB Ram, Intel HD Graphics 4000 and NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M

Vegas Pro 19 (Build 643); Vegasaur Toolkit 4.0.1; ProDad Mercall v.4; HitFilm Pro Version 2021.1; Acid Pro 10; Sound Forge Pro 12;

VEGASHeman wrote on 9/21/2020, 10:35 AM

@Video_flaneur: Do you also have your Windows 10 machine up to date? We have found that sometimes the latest drivers will not work correctly with older versions of Windows. For the situation you face otherwise, we do plan to enhance this detection process going forward, so that if we run into problems with a particular driver, we only disable that, instead of disabling everything - in your case, that would allow you to continue to use your NVIDIA decoder, and not have to manually disable the Intel device. As this has been such a troubling aspect of the VEGAS experience, we decided to go for the conservative approach first.

andyrpsmith wrote on 9/21/2020, 10:35 AM

For those having issues with Hardware Decoding in the latest update, here are some more details of what has changed:

- One of the major sources of crashes in the earlier versions of VEGAS was related to hardware decoding, more specifically, crashes in the drivers. This would occur when the user would actually try to use the hardware decoder (either showing thumbnails, or adding files to timeline). Besides this issue, the user needed to manually set the hardware decoder to use anything other than Intel QSV - it was up to them to set the right decoder.

- In VP18, we decided to detect all hardware decoding solutions available on the system, and try and instantiate them ahead of time (at application startup), to help us automate the process, and make a better choice for the user. However, this caused application crashes/freezes on certain systems with out-of-date drivers. So for Update 1, we move the detection to a separate process which is run when VEGAS starts up. If this independent process crashes or freezes up, VEGAS will simply disable the hardware decoding feature, instead of itself crashing. The detection code is the same as what was available in VP18 original release, just the process it executes in has been moved, so we would not expect users who had this working in VP18 to see problems. We did test this extensively (both internally, and through the beta process), but it is hard to cover all possible cases of OS/Driver configurations, so we will work with those of you who see issues to try and help you resolve it.

- For those of you who see issues with the hardware decoding not showing up, and who have otherwise up to date GPU drivers (which can be verified using the Help -> Check for Driver Updates feature), please post the contents of the files in the following folder "C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\MAGIX\FileIO\1.0" (replace <USERNAME> with your actual Windows user account name). In case of normal detection, there will be a file called "So4HardwareDetectionOutput.xml", otherwise there will be a file called "So4HardwareDectectionError.log". Please post the contents of the latter file if you run into issues, or contact me directly via a PM.

in my case there is no file present at all in fileio\1.0

alifftudm95 wrote on 9/21/2020, 10:42 AM

- For those of you who see issues with the hardware decoding not showing up, and who have otherwise up to date GPU drivers (which can be verified using the Help -> Check for Driver Updates feature), please post the contents of the files in the following folder "C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\MAGIX\FileIO\1.0" (replace <USERNAME> with your actual Windows user account name). In case of normal detection, there will be a file called "So4HardwareDetectionOutput.xml", otherwise there will be a file called "So4HardwareDectectionError.log". Please post the contents of the latter file if you run into issues, or contact me directly via a PM.

Theres no file in my file i/o too

MYPOST Member

PC DEKSTOP

Storage:

E DRIVE SATA SSD 2TB

F DRIVE SATA SSD 2TB

G DRIVE HDD 1TB

VEGASHeman wrote on 9/21/2020, 11:08 AM

@alifftudm95, @andyrpsmith: Can you run the hardware detection application (called 'So4HardwareDetection.exe' in a command window, and let me know what happens. The steps to do so are as follows:

1. Open Command Prompt Window (type "cmd" in the Windows Search/Run box next to the Start button in the lower left corner of your screen)
  2. Navigate to the VEGAS folder by typing in the following: cd "\Program Files\VEGAS\VEGAS Pro 18.0"
  3. Execute the following command: So4HardwareDetection.exe, and please let me know what happens.  Under normal circumstances, something like the attached image will show up.
  4. If the application freeze up, you should see it in Task Manager -> Details tab, as shown below:
  5. If the application crashes, there may or may not be a prompt from Windows, but you may be able to see it show up in the Task Manager for a few seconds, and then go away.