WTH is this ongoing Error Code -10 I keep getting!?

Cliff Etzel wrote on 1/8/2019, 12:39 PM

Rant alert... YET AGAIN.

I've been pretty patient with Vegas and all of it's bugs/lackluster stability and performance... I've been using Vegas for quite awhile and started using it back around version 4 and had even settled on Vegas 15 (currently using build 416) as my new primary editor.

Now I get this weird error message anytime I try to render out a video - I've had this happen more than once and given the lackluster customer service of MAGIX and their wonky hours of availability, I've had to literally edit in software mode only in PPro CS6 or now I'm starting to edit Davinci Resolve. I have non negotiable 48 hour turnaround times for one of the production houses I work with and this is totally unacceptable.

I've literally made technology purchase decisions in hardware specifically for Vegas and now my newish laptop with it's integrated Intel GPU (which I purchased to specifically edit in Vegas with) barely runs Resolve 14 and I can only barely cut with it while out in the field.

I'm pretty much fed up - This is ridiculous given I've spent hard earned money on software that I make a living with. I find it ironic that free software is more professional and stable than software I paid for.

This is total BS and I'm pissed off... 😡😡😡

Comments

klt wrote on 1/8/2019, 12:53 PM

Do you have some firewall or antivirus software, that might interfere with internet connection of applucations other than the browser?

Cliff Etzel wrote on 1/8/2019, 1:05 PM

Do you have some firewall or antivirus software, that might interfere with internet connection of applucations other than the browser?

No - I have made sure firewall rules are set for both incoming and outgoing for Vegas... I have no idea why this is happening but it's prevented me from getting projects rendered. I've had to export bare bones XML files and then have to re-edit my title graphics and color corrections which only protracts my efficiency in post.

klt wrote on 1/8/2019, 1:16 PM

Ok, it may be yiur router, or even badly configured IPV6 at your ISP.

Vegas needs one time internet cinnection to activate. And certain cidecs need that too.

I'd try first disable ipv6, then try on another internet cinnection (mobile 4G, wifu at neighbour, etc...)

Cliff Etzel wrote on 1/8/2019, 1:53 PM

Ok, it may be yiur router, or even badly configured IPV6 at your ISP.

Vegas needs one time internet cinnection to activate. And certain cidecs need that too.

I'd try first disable ipv6, then try on another internet cinnection (mobile 4G, wifu at neighbour, etc...)

my copy of Vegas has been activated for months... And the fact this intermittently happens - and is usually during a short deadline project has become more than I am willing to accept any longer. My wifi connection settings on my desktop are set for IPV4 only and I have no idea how to go about changing the settings on my Xfinity Router. This is nothing more than another form of hostageware...

As a side note: I just discovered how to activate proxy files/render cache within Resolve 14.3 (Resolve 15 won't run on my Ultrabook with Intel iGPU) just now that all of a sudden makes my editing experience on my Dell Ultrabook much smoother using HD footage.

Like many others... I'm done with using Vegas...

OldSmoke wrote on 1/8/2019, 3:00 PM

@Cliff Etzel You “might” be barking up the wrong tree. Xfinity’s DNS servers are not as reliable as one might think and it could well be that your router just can’t make a proper DNS query. In such a case, it may help restarting the router and as a further measure set a static IP on your computer and also enter Xfinity’s DNS server as a secondary server; primary is your router.

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

VEGAS_EricD wrote on 1/8/2019, 3:16 PM

I recommend creating a support ticket for this issue so our technical support team can look into this further for you.  https://support2.magix.com/customer/en/vegas/form

Please also provide your serial number on the support ticket.

Cliff Etzel wrote on 1/8/2019, 3:49 PM

@Cliff Etzel You “might” be barking up the wrong tree. Xfinity’s DNS servers are not as reliable as one might think and it could well be that your router just can’t make a proper DNS query. In such a case, it may help restarting the router and as a further measure set a static IP on your computer and also enter Xfinity’s DNS server as a secondary server; primary is your router.

hmmm..... Thanks for the heads up @OldSmoke - I'll look into it and see what I can do about that

**Update - I made the changes you suggested, still unable to connect so I can render....

OldSmoke wrote on 1/8/2019, 4:13 PM

@Cliff Etzel Unfortunately I don't know the Magix Server's name or IP that takes care of the codec activation; try pinging magix.com from a command prompt.

I would also raise ticket as per Erik's post; this is a serious issue I think they will help quickly.

Can you render to a non MAGIX codec, one that doesn't need a activation/verification?

Last changed by OldSmoke on 1/8/2019, 4:15 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

System Spec.:

Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

Cliff Etzel wrote on 1/8/2019, 4:18 PM

@Cliff Etzel Unfortunately I don't know the Magix Server's name or IP that takes care of the codec activation; try pinging magix.com from a command prompt.

I would also raise ticket as per Erik's post; this is a serious issue I think they will help quickly.

I've submitted a support ticket already - I'll ping their server

Cliff Etzel wrote on 1/8/2019, 4:44 PM

I just attempted using my cel phone as a wireless hotspot to attempt to connect to the activation server - I still received the same error -10 notification. My laptop is able to render in Vegas Pro 15 Edit without the message so it's not my wireless network as far as I can tell.

I wish MAGIX actually had phone based tech support...

Cliff Etzel wrote on 1/8/2019, 4:49 PM

I was able to render to an MXF format - I am unable to render to HEVC, AVI or MP4 without the error message

OldSmoke wrote on 1/8/2019, 4:55 PM

I was able to render to an MXF format - I am unable to render to HEVC, AVI or MP4 without the error message

Not good but something. If you can, I would render to XAVC-I or if you have MagicYUV.

System Spec.:

Former user wrote on 1/8/2019, 5:06 PM

@Cliff Etzel

If this is about a codec not activated then this link might help. https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-pro-faqs-and-troubleshooting-guides--104787/

See point 10. A script “activate renderers.cs” was also made available some time back that would activate all codecs that needed activation after a new version was installed.

JJKizak wrote on 1/8/2019, 5:33 PM

Some facts here: Modems are constantly being upgraded from their sources for more speed/bandwidth, etc. In my case three out of the four computers work fine but the fourth will error 10 which dumps the modem to red light condition. After rebooting (cold boot) the modem it works fine sometimes. Then after rebooting the 4th computer it works fine all the time.

When your system isn't working correctly the applications will run micro slow until the modem dumps off to red lights. All of this is because of the modem upgrades in your system which are out of your control. You will probably need a genius to get things to work properly if that is possible.

Note: All of my computers worked fine until the modem was upgraded from 6 to 10 megs speed then the problems started.

JJK

Cliff Etzel wrote on 1/8/2019, 6:12 PM

Some facts here: Modems are constantly being upgraded from their sources for more speed/bandwidth, etc. In my case three out of the four computers work fine but the fourth will error 10 which dumps the modem to red light condition. After rebooting (cold boot) the modem it works fine sometimes. Then after rebooting the 4th computer it works fine all the time.

When your system isn't working correctly the applications will run micro slow until the modem dumps off to red lights. All of this is because of the modem upgrades in your system which are out of your control. You will probably need a genius to get things to work properly if that is possible.

Note: All of my computers worked fine until the modem was upgraded from 6 to 10 megs speed then the problems started.

JJK

Modem cold reboot - still the same issue. I also tried connecting via cel phone data wifi hot spot and also received the same error message.

Cliff Etzel wrote on 1/8/2019, 6:23 PM

@Cliff Etzel

If this is about a codec not activated then this link might help. https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-pro-faqs-and-troubleshooting-guides--104787/

See point 10. A script “activate renderers.cs” was also made available some time back that would activate all codecs that needed activation after a new version was installed.

I found the link to the script and installed - still getting the same error message...

Cliff Etzel wrote on 1/8/2019, 6:59 PM

OK - as I last ditch effort, I deactivated the software on my desktop and reactivated it. I'll be damned - It worked!

I can now render successfully - go figure... 😒😒😒

@VEGAS_EricD Given I've seen this issue discussed in other threads - maybe a sticky someplace here on the forums about if you get an Error: -10 message - try deactivating Vegas and reactivating it. As soon as I did that - Vegas went back to normal.

Former user wrote on 1/9/2019, 3:31 AM

@Cliff Etzel “I found the link to the script and installed - still getting the same error message...”

Great you found a solution. My suggestion above wasn't so much to fix your problem now, more to avoid it later by activating all codecs that needed activating online. I assumed incorrectly from the ongoing discussion that you couldn’t get online to connect to the Magix servers.

albiman wrote on 5/25/2023, 2:58 AM

OK - as I last ditch effort, I deactivated the software on my desktop and reactivated it. I'll be damned - It worked!

I can now render successfully - go figure... 😒😒😒

@VEGAS_EricD Given I've seen this issue discussed in other threads - maybe a sticky someplace here on the forums about if you get an Error: -10 message - try deactivating Vegas and reactivating it. As soon as I did that - Vegas went back to normal.

Hi, what means exactly deactive-reactive? Uninstall-reinstall?

RogerS wrote on 5/25/2023, 3:09 AM

No, on the help menu you can remove the activation that connects the software to your account/ license to use it on this machine. You don't have to uninstall Vegas.

Custom PC (2022) Intel i5-13600K with UHD 770 iGPU with latest driver, MSI z690 Tomahawk motherboard, 64GB Corsair DDR5 5200 ram, NVIDIA 2080 Super (8GB) with latest studio driver, 2TB Hynix P41 SSD, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

Dell XPS 15 laptop (2017) 32GB ram, NVIDIA 1050 (4GB) with latest studio driver, Intel i7-7700HQ with Intel 630 iGPU (latest available driver), dual internal SSD (1TB; 1TB), Windows 10 64 bit

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208

Try the
VEGAS 4K "sample project" benchmark: https://forms.gle/ypyrrbUghEiaf2aC7
VEGAS Pro 20 "Ad" benchmark: https://forms.gle/eErJTR87K2bbJc4Q7

vkmast wrote on 5/25/2023, 3:50 AM

@albiman for more on deactivating, please see this FAQ item 9.