Got a VEGAS Post 19 Upgrade Email Offer

MH7 wrote on 9/17/2022, 1:00 AM

Hi guys,

I received an upgrade offer for VEGAS Post 19 which made me wonder if there was something wrong with the newer VEGAS 20 (Edit/Pro/Post) software that was released last month. I wondered if the VEGAS team had pulled the software because of some problem. Because, I have previously been getting offers (or promotional email) for VEGAS Pro 20 and so was wondering why the offer changed and went back a version.

Also, I had talked, on here, about upgrading to VEGAS Post 20 (from my VEGAS Pro 18). So when I got the upgrade offer email for VEGAS Pro 19, it did, initially make me wonder, as stated previously, about VEGAS 20. However, I have since looked and found out that VEGAS 20 is still up and being offered, so I’m good now.

Just a question though. I imagine that MAGIX know I have VEGAS Pro 18 and were offering me the direct (numerical) upgrade to my version of VEGAS Pro 18 — VEGAS Post 19. Would this be the case, or did even customers who have VEGAS 20 already receive this upgrade offer?

One off-topic question: How’d the NLE VEGAS software get it’s name (something to do with the place Vegas)?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Last changed by MH7

John 14:6 | Romans 10:9-10, 13, 10:17 | Ephesians 2:8-9
————————————————————————————————————

Aussie VEGAS Post 20 User As Of 9th February 2023 — Build 411 (Upgraded from VEGAS Pro 18)

VEGAS Pro Help: VEGAS Pro FAQs and TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDES

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@TechWiredGeek

Video Cameras: Sony FDR-AX700 and iPhone 12 Pro Max (iOS 17)

============================================

My New Productivity Workstation/Gaming PC 2024

CPU: AMD R7 7800X3D

Motherboard: ASRock X670E Steel Legend (AM5)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory

Main SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB SSD
Storage SSD: Western Digital Black SN850X 2 TB SSD

GPU: Asus TUF GAMING OC Radeon RX 7800 XT (16 GB)

Main Monitor: LG 27UD88-W 4K IPS

Secondary Monitor: LG 27UL850 4K HDR IPS

Comments

jetdv wrote on 9/17/2022, 8:19 AM

Using VEGAS Pro 20 every day. It has NOT been pulled and is the current version for sale at vegascreativesoftware.com.

vkmast wrote on 9/17/2022, 8:37 AM

@MH7 seems this very low-priced special offer was mailed to users of a couple of earlier VEGAS versions who have not upgraded.

For your off-topic question, please see this comment from a (the?) Vegas guru (Douglas Spotted Eagle, google for more). It's pretty much confirmed here (a 9 minute read) by Michael Bryant (closely associated with the Vegas software through the Sonic Foundry and Sony/SCS eras).

MH7 wrote on 9/24/2022, 12:35 AM

Just something I’m wondering. Would there be any benefit in going with VEGAS Post 19 vs the newer VEGAS Post 20. If so, what would they be? Also, whilst I know it’s possible to create your own video transitions with keyframes in VEGAS, as I’ve done it, I am very interested in the video transitions that come with VEGAS Post 20. Does VEGAS Post 19 have the same customisable video transitions?

Aussie VEGAS Post 20 User As Of 9th February 2023 — Build 411 (Upgraded from VEGAS Pro 18)

Former user wrote on 9/24/2022, 1:13 AM

Just something I’m wondering. Would there be any benefit in going with VEGAS Post 19 vs the newer VEGAS Post 20. If so, what would they be?

VP19 636 and 643 use more ram, and are more buggy. I think my build643 also became corrupt, because it would crash so often not doing anything special, I know this happens to people, but never to me for VP18 and 19, I went to build 550, because I had been on b532 for the longest time. b550 fixed some slight bug that was never a problem for me, so I hoped 550 would be stable. it's behaving much better than 643 and has less bugs, as odd as that sounds.

Why am I telling you this?

Because I think the transition to VP20 started with vp19 b636, so from my experience if that is the case I have no interest in VP20 or trialing it except if they bring out the promised new GPU decoder before the next release. I think that's a possibility because it has never seemed like they thought stability was a selling point, only new features. HOWEVER, I do recall Magix Video Pro X doing a huge song and dance about their new render engine which they waited for the new version release and was a big part of their marketing so it could be a VP21 release.

At this point VP20 has nothing to offer me, and I"ll be sticking to VP19b550

MH7 wrote on 9/24/2022, 2:49 AM

Just something I’m wondering. Would there be any benefit in going with VEGAS Post 19 vs the newer VEGAS Post 20. If so, what would they be?

VP19 636 and 643 use more ram, and are more buggy. I think my build643 also became corrupt, because it would crash so often not doing anything special, I know this happens to people, but never to me for VP18 and 19, I went to build 550, because I had been on b532 for the longest time. b550 fixed some slight bug that was never a problem for me, so I hoped 550 would be stable. it's behaving much better than 643 and has less bugs, as odd as that sounds.

Why am I telling you this?

Because I think the transition to VP20 started with vp19 b636, so from my experience if that is the case I have no interest in VP20 or trialing it except if they bring out the promised new GPU decoder before the next release. I think that's a possibility because it has never seemed like they thought stability was a selling point, only new features. HOWEVER, I do recall Magix Video Pro X doing a huge song and dance about their new render engine which they waited for the new version release and was a big part of their marketing so it could be a VP21 release.

At this point VP20 has nothing to offer me, and I"ll be sticking to VP19b550

Well, I currently have VEGAS Pro 18 (Build 527) and came from VEGAS Pro 15. So, in conclusion skipping VP 20 would be advisable? One of my reasons for wanting to go with VEGAS Post was for VEGAS Image so that I had a production suite that was all-in-one for me. I might still trial VEGAS Post 20 myself because many of the problems that people have had I have never experienced. I’m not saying they don’t or haven’t happened, but they don’t seem to happen for me (and I do have 32GB of RAM — My PC specs are below in my sig).

Last changed by MH7 on 9/24/2022, 2:52 AM, changed a total of 4 times.

Former user wrote on 9/24/2022, 4:24 AM

People are still reporting the memory problems in VP20 that were there in the late VP19 builds which could be the reason for my record breaking crashing in b643. The ripple edit crashing has been fixed, if that was VP19 and your work flow would often trigger that crash that alone is worth the money. Also I think I heard it said the black flashes when dynamic ram preview is greater than 0 was supposedly fixed, although not fully as it still happens with certain files, and the fix is still setting DRP to 0.

Wait for some feedback from VP20 owners, if this new decoder were to happen in VP20 you'd have to buy it, once the bug are ironed out. The GPU decoder is my pet gripe due to the stability and performance issues it causes. Also I have never had Post, just edit.

jetdv wrote on 9/24/2022, 8:25 AM

Using version 20 every day... I see no reason to use older version at this point except for testing purposes.

MH7 wrote on 9/25/2022, 4:37 AM

I know that the best thing I can do is trial VEGAS Post 20 and see how it works for me.

walter-i. wrote on 9/25/2022, 1:37 PM

I know that the best thing I can do is trial VEGAS Post 20 and see how it works for me.

Testing yourself makes you smart 👍

RogerS wrote on 9/25/2022, 3:21 PM

If you want to save $100 consider the POST 19 deal you got. If you want to be on the latest, 20 is an option. For me I find VP 19 unreliable after 550 or 636 (not sure) so I stayed on 550 and am not using 20. I suspect 20 will mature and I'll move over to it after the first or second update. It has a new audio engine and I really need it to work properly with the VSTs I have, for example.

Custom PC (2022) Intel i5-13600K with UHD 770 iGPU with latest driver, MSI z690 Tomahawk motherboard, 64GB Corsair DDR5 5200 ram, NVIDIA 2080 Super (8GB) with latest studio driver, 2TB Hynix P41 SSD and 2TB Samsung 980 Pro cache drive, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

Dell XPS 15 laptop (2017) 32GB ram, NVIDIA 1050 (4GB) with latest studio driver, Intel i7-7700HQ with Intel 630 iGPU (latest available driver), dual internal SSD (1TB; 1TB), Windows 10 64 bit

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208
VEGAS Pro 22.93

Try the
VEGAS 4K "sample project" benchmark (works with VP 16+): https://forms.gle/ypyrrbUghEiaf2aC7
VEGAS Pro 20 "Ad" benchmark (works with VP 20+): https://forms.gle/eErJTR87K2bbJc4Q7

Seb-o wrote on 9/26/2022, 1:25 AM

My educated guess tells me you could use the accessory programs that "Post" represents going forward with any subsequent Vegas version, as these are really programs that stand on their own, AFAICT, both of which offer plenty of facility of which one would not need to upgrade to derive plenty of usefulness out of each of those. (Hitfilm Pro and Imerge both from FX Home). Please correct me if this assessment misses the mark.

MH7 wrote on 9/26/2022, 8:28 PM

My educated guess tells me you could use the accessory programs that "Post" represents going forward with any subsequent Vegas version, as these are really programs that stand on their own, AFAICT, both of which offer plenty of facility of which one would not need to upgrade to derive plenty of usefulness out of each of those. (HitFilm Pro and Imerge both from FX Home). Please correct me if this assessment misses the mark.

We, there’s no need to correct you. You hit the mark perfectly (seriously). I do know and believe that I would use the additional applications, apart from VEGAS Pro 20 itself, pretty frequently, in particular VEGAS Image, because I currently do all my computer graphics (or even just computer graphic design ideas (like title cards, lower-thirds, etc.) in, yes, Microsoft PowerPoint (you can do more in this program than people realise; if you want an example of graphics that I have design in PowerPoint, go and have look at my YouTube channel banner and videos (the link is in my sig below) that I have made).

So, I have been looking for a suitable application to progress to and VEGAS Image looks like my cup of tea, so to speak, a good choice that I could see myself using. It might be AU$400 if I do end up buying it, but I think it’d be worth the expense.

On a different note (I’m not sure if it’s a bad, bad as in forbidden, application to mention on here), but I have looked at DaVinci Resolve 18 and, whilst I’ve tried previous versions before, I didn’t really know how to use it. But with some good and simple tutorials on YouTube for it, it does look quite enticing. I may even trial the latest version to see if I like it (since I now know how to keyframe in it). Just something I’m thinking about. Also, it being cross-platform would mean I would have options.

Last changed by MH7 on 9/27/2022, 12:13 AM, changed a total of 3 times.

Former user wrote on 9/27/2022, 12:19 AM

On a different note (I’m not sure if it’s a bad, bad as in forbidden, application to mention on here), but I have looked at DaVinci Resolve 18 and, whilst I’ve tried previous versions before, I didn’t really know how to use it. But with some good and simple tutorials on YouTube for it, it does look quite enticing

Editing in Resolve is cumbersome, it doesn't work how your brain would logically tell you it should. Premiere Pro also requiring learning, but once done it makes sense, even if it lacks the initial intuitiveness of Vegas. Resolve isn't like that, even when you know how to use the edit page it's annoying at how many steps it takes to do something simple. This is all criticism of the edit page, Fusion and color page are better because they're more modern.

I use the edit page for things Vegas don't do well such as optical flow slow motion, video stabilization, optical flow transition and modern looking transitions, automatic re-framing(paid version) and noise reduction(paid version). I try where possible to do rough cuts in Vegas first where I can work faster assuming no crashes. Stability is a Resolve positive, it never crashes for me, the worse that happens is a feature doesn't work as it should. Restarting fixes the problem.

I've been using Resolve since version16, Resolve Studio(paid version) since V17, yet here I still am still using Vegas. If BM ever radically redesign their edit page to make it more intuitive and efficient I would have no reason to use Vegas. I don't think that will happen, they seem very stuck in their ways for the edit page, no matter how much criticism they get

MH7 wrote on 9/27/2022, 12:43 AM

On a different note (I’m not sure if it’s a bad, bad as in forbidden, application to mention on here), but I have looked at DaVinci Resolve 18 and, whilst I’ve tried previous versions before, I didn’t really know how to use it. But with some good and simple tutorials on YouTube for it, it does look quite enticing

Editing in Resolve is cumbersome, it doesn't work how your brain would logically tell you it should. Premiere Pro also requiring learning, but once done it makes sense, even if it lacks the initial intuitiveness of Vegas. Resolve isn't like that, even when you know how to use the edit page it's annoying at how many steps it takes to do something simple. This is all criticism of the edit page, Fusion and color page are better because they're more modern.

I use the edit page for things Vegas don't do well such as optical flow slow motion, video stabilization, optical flow transition and modern looking transitions, automatic re-framing(paid version) and noise reduction(paid version). I try where possible to do rough cuts in Vegas first where I can work faster assuming no crashes. Stability is a Resolve positive, it never crashes for me, the worse that happens is a feature doesn't work as it should. Restarting fixes the problem.

I've been using Resolve since version16, Resolve Studio(paid version) since V17, yet here I still am still using Vegas. If BM ever radically redesign their edit page to make it more intuitive and efficient I would have no reason to use Vegas. I don't think that will happen, they seem very stuck in their ways for the edit page, no matter how much criticism they get

Thanks for your input re this. I, personally, have been using VEGAS Pro since version 10 (still under Sony at this time). I remember trialing VP 9 and I didn’t like how it was laid out (preview windows in the bottom-right and timeline up top - opposite to what it is today), At this time I was used to using Corel Video Studio and so I just didn’t like VP 9. Then, later, I tried 10 and liked it. I taught myself how to use it and it was good. Of course, I’ve been using VEGAS Pro 18 (upgrade from VP 15) and I’ve had no problems, except the occasional freezing (either in 15, 18, or both), but I think that was, possibly, a RAM Preview problem.

What am I saying? Well, I’m always up for trying new software, especially video editing software, and I might still try the free version of DV 18 to see how if I like it. But, yes, I do know VEGAS Pro like the back of my hand, so to speak, so I will most probably stick with VEGAS Pro and try and, possibly buy, VEGAS Post 20. I do like how easy it is to use.

Last changed by MH7 on 9/27/2022, 12:44 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

misohoza wrote on 9/27/2022, 6:18 AM

If you are considering Vegas Post be aware that Vegas Effects is tied to a specific Vegas Pro version.

What I mean by that... I have Vegas Post 19 and also Vegas 20 Edit. I cannot use Vegas Effects from Vegas 20. It says I need to purchase Vegas Post license. I can still use it as a standalone app but the project timeline exchange doesn't work.

On the other hand Vegas Image will open just fine. It doesn't care if it's Vegas 19 or Vegas 20.

Crowyote wrote on 9/27/2022, 8:53 PM

I get jealous when I see these posts. I'd like to upgrade to VP20, but Vegas stopped hitting my newsfeed when I opened VP17 earlier this summer. I've also received no emails about VP20 or 19 since last Spring too. I find this all very weird. Yes, yes I know about the default $199 upgrade, but I was getting offers way better than that.

MH7 wrote on 9/27/2022, 11:21 PM

If you are considering Vegas Post be aware that Vegas Effects is tied to a specific Vegas Pro version.

What I mean by that... I have Vegas Post 19 and also Vegas 20 Edit. I cannot use Vegas Effects from Vegas 20. It says I need to purchase Vegas Post license. I can still use it as a standalone app but the project timeline exchange doesn't work.

On the other hand Vegas Image will open just fine. It doesn't care if it's Vegas 19 or Vegas 20

Thanks for that clarification. I’m not too worried if I couldn’t use any of the VEGAS Post 20 additional applications with previous versions (my VEGAS Pro Edit 15 and Pro 18). I’m perfectly fine with that as I’d most probably be using VEGAS Pro 20 anyway. So, as long as they work with VP 20, that’s completely fine with me.

Last changed by MH7 on 9/27/2022, 11:24 PM, changed a total of 3 times.