How to use (convert) a MOV file?

robert-kjonaas wrote on 2/17/2018, 5:19 PM

I have the Zoom Q2n which does an excellent job of music videos due to excellent audio. However it exports in the mov format. My Vegas Movie Studio 14 Platinum will not accept these and suggest to download quicktime. I have win 10 OS which is no longer supported by quicktime. I have found some online workarounds so that I can possibly install quicktime on win 10 but then my machine is vulnerable to security breaches. What do you all do when faced with a mov file? Convert it to .avi? If so what's a good method to do so?

Comments

EricLNZ wrote on 2/17/2018, 6:51 PM

My understanding is that it's the browser version of Quicktime that may have possible security flaws. There's minimal risk in using the Quicktime that MSP14 needs to handle mov files.

As for converting files I've gathered from Forum posts here and elsewhere that avi is best avoided. It's not a suitable container for modern highly compressed codecs. Stick with mp4 and personally I'd try Handbrake if it will handle your mov files.

vkmast wrote on 2/17/2018, 6:59 PM

Further reading.

robert-kjonaas wrote on 2/17/2018, 8:09 PM

Thanks for the reply, I'm really trying to get this project done.

My son who works in film also suggested I try handbrake.

I'm really interested in audio quality and what I really need to do is keep the audio quality of the music recorded (48/24). Will converting it to mp4 compress or downgrade the audio? That's why I was thinking avi. Once I've processed the audio in a separate DAW, I re-import it, mute the original wav file and then export the whole project to YouTube.

I did this on my older pc and it worked great, but it died. I didn't expect to run into this roadblock...

Thanks again!

robert-kjonaas wrote on 2/17/2018, 8:12 PM

Further reading.

Thanks, I am looking at this now, very helpful!

But unfortunately, I do not have Vegas Pro...shucks...

NickHope wrote on 2/17/2018, 8:34 PM

Further reading.

That doesn't matter. The article is about converting outside of Vegas, to a format that opens nicely in Vegas.

robert-kjonaas wrote on 2/17/2018, 8:50 PM

Further reading.

That doesn't matter. The article is about converting outside of Vegas, to a format that opens nicely in Vegas.

The article states: Right click on a .mov video file in the VEGAS Pro Explorer window, choose Properties, then scroll to the bottom of the window. The Plug-In Name identifies which codec Vegas will use to decode the file.

However, in Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 14, the properties do not list any such "plug in name" so I'm dead in the water before I start, I think, unless I am not understanding?

EricLNZ wrote on 2/17/2018, 9:06 PM

This isn't a mov file but you should see something like this:

EricLNZ wrote on 2/17/2018, 9:09 PM

Audio - if you have the original good quality audio then on your timeline you could replace the "converted" audio with your original. Obviously the files would need to be unedited so the audio streams match.

robert-kjonaas wrote on 2/17/2018, 9:21 PM

Audio - if you have the original good quality audio then on your timeline you could replace the "converted" audio with your original. Obviously the files would need to be unedited so the audio streams match.

Yes that is it exactly, that is what I used to do, I export the audio and process it in my DAW, then replace the new audio. But to do that, you must be able to open the project. MSP14 will not open my mov file without quicktime installed which I do not want to do for security reasons, but I can't find anyway around this...

robert-kjonaas wrote on 2/17/2018, 9:23 PM

This isn't a mov file but you should see something like this:

No I don't, just a general tab with no plugn info...Again, this isn't pro..

robert-kjonaas wrote on 2/17/2018, 9:34 PM

I can't see anyway around this but to try and install quicktime which is not very easy to do with win 10...shucks, I'll start up tomorrow again...

EricLNZ wrote on 2/17/2018, 9:38 PM

My image is from MS14.

robert-kjonaas wrote on 2/17/2018, 9:42 PM

My image is from MS14.

I opened up my project and in the windows explorer tab, I right clicked on the mov file and selected properties...there is one General tab with General, Other Metadata and Media Manager, nothing more...However, if I click on an mpg file, then I have all the info listed under a single General tab!

EricLNZ wrote on 2/17/2018, 9:52 PM

Ok. From the Explorer Tab the window is different but if you scroll right down the Plug-in details are there (or should be). This is from the Explorer tab with an old mov file.

EricLNZ wrote on 2/17/2018, 9:53 PM

Of course. The penny has dropped. With mov files your MS14 hasn't a codec to use so none is shown!

robert-kjonaas wrote on 2/17/2018, 9:58 PM

Of course. The penny has dropped. With mov files your MS14 hasn't a codec to use so none is shown!

Yes there is no scroll bar...so I have to install quicktime, I think, not much choice...

Thanks so much for the help though! I'll try some more tomorrow, my brain is frazzled right now...

NickHope wrote on 2/18/2018, 10:28 AM

Doh! That's a very good point which I hadn't considered, and I think will probably happen in Vegas Pro too, if Quicktime is not installed and another codec can't be found. I will amend the article to reflect that.

Anyway @robert-kjonaas, I checked the spec and those files should be AVC in an MOV wrapper.

• Video format: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 (MOV)
  • Video resolutions: 1080p/30 fps HD, 1080p/24 fps HD, 720p/30 fps HD, 720p/24 fps HD

So just ignore section 1 of that guide and start at section 2. It's not as scary as it looks and really fast to convert files once you have it set up, and the files should play nicely.

robert-kjonaas wrote on 2/18/2018, 10:35 AM

Doh! That's a very good point which I hadn't considered, and I think will probably happen in Vegas Pro too, if Quicktime is not installed and another codec can't be found. I will amend the article to reflect that.

Anyway @robert-kjonaas, I checked the spec and those files should be AVC in an MOV wrapper.

• Video format: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 (MOV)
  • Video resolutions: 1080p/30 fps HD, 1080p/24 fps HD, 720p/30 fps HD, 720p/24 fps HD

So just ignore section 1 of that guide and start at section 2. It's not as scary as it looks and really fast to convert files once you have it set up, and the files should play nicely.

Thank you kindly Nick Hope, I will get on it this afternoon and followup. I really, really appreciate the help!

And you are amazingly correct, my files are 1080p HD, MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 (MOV) files and I'm pretty sure I chose 24fps ahead of the recording.

robert-kjonaas wrote on 2/18/2018, 6:41 PM

Well that was rather intense, but following the instructions to a "t" worked fine and the MOV file converted to a MP4 file, same length and size and all so I was hopeful, but, alas, Movie Studio 14 Platinum crashed after each of three separate attempts to add the MP4 file. I don't know why.

I created a new project and tried adding the file first by, dragging and dropping into the video tracks. I got the spinning circle and then a dialog it has stopped working. Same when I attempted to "browse to file" at the onset to set media properties. It crashed or ended again when I selected the MP4 file. and I got a message saying the program has ended and I could send a report, I forget now but I think I tried File/Add Media.

So it is a no go.

I do appreciate the help. Thanks very much for the help as the conversion did work and I was successful in creating a MP4 file but now I can't get that into the project unfortunately.

Shucks. I did this all last year with an earlier version of Movie Studio, my old one from Sony and on a win 7 pc with quicktime. No problem except the video and sound didn't line up. I just ignored that as I only edited the start and end points and it was fine when I uploaded to YouTube after replacing the music with a produced file. It was one of my favorite things to do. I thought sure with a new pc and a newer version of Movie Studio, I was good to go. This whole win 10 game is an uphill fight...

Just to see, I also opened the file with windows media player and the video is fine but the music is gone and there is only a very loud hissing sound.

robert-kjonaas wrote on 2/18/2018, 7:19 PM

Now I opened the MOV in windows media player and it is perfect (unlike the MP4 file). But that is odd, on my old machine, that windows media player would not play the MOV files, only quicktime would. Anyhow, it also used to be that I could upload the MOV file to youtube and then download the audio, process it and upload the audio and replace it. But they stopped that a year or so ago...dead end's every where I go. Now, I either install quicktime via a workaround (install the updater and see if it will install quicktime) and deal with the security risk or find a free video editor that will open MOV files (are there any?) to do the simple job. But shucks again, over the years I've gotten so used to Movie Studio...

EricLNZ wrote on 2/18/2018, 10:09 PM

Robert - this thread may help https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/quicktime-security-and-flaws--102415/#ca630020

Personally I have Quicktime installed for the occasional mov files I encounter. But I don't have it installed as a Browser plugin.

NickHope wrote on 2/18/2018, 10:32 PM

Sorry it didn't work. Can you share a sample file of an original file? (e.g. on Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, mega.nz, wetransfer.com or mediafire.com) I'd like to do some tests with it and also alert the developers to it.

I'm also comfortable having Quicktime for Windows 7.7.9 installed so that the codec is on my system. I never ever open the player.

robert-kjonaas wrote on 2/19/2018, 10:20 AM

Robert - this thread may help https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/quicktime-security-and-flaws--102415/#ca630020

Personally I have Quicktime installed for the occasional mov files I encounter. But I don't have it installed as a Browser plugin.

Thanks Eric, I'll follow up on the link in a short while and, yes, Quicktime is where I'm going now, if I can only get it installed on win 10 :)

robert-kjonaas wrote on 2/19/2018, 10:27 AM

Sorry it didn't work. Can you share a sample file of an original file? (e.g. on Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, mega.nz, wetransfer.com or mediafire.com) I'd like to do some tests with it and also alert the developers to it.

I'm also comfortable having Quicktime for Windows 7.7.9 installed so that the codec is on my system. I never ever open the player.

Yes sir I can post the file, it is 1.32 gigs and I don't know how to split it since I don't have an editor, I have room on my dropbox account. How can I get it to you? Can you email or call me with the info I need to share it? Can we pm on this forum?

All the help is much appreciated. FYI, my son is an independent filmmaker (mostly dp I think they call it) in Los Angeles and works fulltime in the UCLA film School. I have a lot of fun in Vegas but I'm no film guy by any stretch :)