Overlay Text

HotMocha wrote on 10/26/2017, 10:28 PM

I am trying to make a guide video on how to overlay text without using the media generato. Since this is a guide, I am planning quite a lot of words, however, I attempted to create a separate video track with the text on it, but that track doesn't show up while the normal video keeps playing without the text on the side.

Comments

john_dennis wrote on 10/26/2017, 11:16 PM

Perhaps, you shouldn’t be ‘splainin’ how Vegas works?

Rainer wrote on 10/27/2017, 3:04 AM

Agree with John that a little knowledge.. etc, but there's lots of ways to achieve what you appear to be trying to do and maybe we can be more helpful if you, say, post a grab?

Richard Jones wrote on 10/27/2017, 4:34 AM

I don't want to seem rude but, if you don't know how to do it, how can you make a credible guide?

Richard

Grazie wrote on 10/27/2017, 8:39 AM

@HotMocha : What's your question?

HotMocha wrote on 10/27/2017, 10:23 AM

I am sincerely sorry if this is confusing since I've only ever used Vegas Pro to render Videos, but what I am "attempting" to ask is how to make the text in a separate video track pop up as the main video on another video track is showing up while the text is not.

HotMocha wrote on 10/27/2017, 10:25 AM

I don't want to seem rude but, if you don't know how to do it, how can you make a credible guide?

Richard

You're not being rude, and you are probably right. I just want to figure out how to do this as I am making guides to help others with no benefit to myself.

HotMocha wrote on 10/27/2017, 10:28 AM

Perhaps, you shouldn’t be ‘splainin’ how Vegas works?

I am guessing your talking about me attempting to make a guide on how Vegas work, I am not, this is for another project that has nothing to do with explaining on how Vegas works.

john_dennis wrote on 10/27/2017, 12:14 PM

"what I am "attempting" to ask is how to make the text in a separate video track pop up as the main video on another video track is showing up while the text is not."

Do you mean like this?

"I am trying to make a guide video on how to overlay text without using the media generato."

If you're not using the Media Generator, how are you creating the text, (Word, Photoshop, etc) and what file type(s) are you using to get the text into Vegas Pro?

Richard Jones wrote on 10/27/2017, 12:20 PM

If this is not a Vegas guide I happily withdraw my previous comment and instead ask why you do not want to use Media Generator?

Richard

HotMocha wrote on 10/27/2017, 2:15 PM

If this is not a Vegas guide I happily withdraw my previous comment and instead ask why you do not want to use Media Generator?

Richard

I have attempted to use it, and it wouldn't show up either, the original video would cover the text.

HotMocha wrote on 10/27/2017, 2:15 PM

"what I am "attempting" to ask is how to make the text in a separate video track pop up as the main video on another video track is showing up while the text is not."

Do you mean like this?

"I am trying to make a guide video on how to overlay text without using the media generato."

If you're not using the Media Generator, how are you creating the text, (Word, Photoshop, etc) and what file type(s) are you using to get the text into Vegas Pro?

Quite frankly, I do not know if this is much more different, but I am just using the Vegas Insert Text option. And yes, I do want it like that if there is way you can tell me about.

JackW wrote on 10/27/2017, 2:17 PM

Text with transparent background needs to be on a track above the original video. That way the text won't be covered by the video.

HotMocha wrote on 10/27/2017, 2:52 PM

Text with transparent background needs to be on a track above the original video. That way the text won't be covered by the video.

Is there any way to do this in Vegas?

OldSmoke wrote on 10/27/2017, 3:14 PM

I am sorry but if you have that kind of questions then you should watch Vegas tutorials on YT first before you make your own.

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

HotMocha wrote on 10/27/2017, 3:48 PM

I am sorry but if you have that kind of questions then you should watch Vegas tutorials on YT first before you make your own.

If you scroll up, I said I am not making a vegas Tutorial...

vkmast wrote on 10/27/2017, 4:16 PM

First, add (Insert > Video track)

a track above the original video. That way the text [with transparent background] won't be covered by the video.

I attempted to create a separate video track with the text on it

Did you attempt to create a separate video track the way JackW already told you?

usbsound wrote on 10/27/2017, 4:23 PM

That's basic. Two video tracks, in the above the text with transparency and in the track below you put the video.

Track Video 1: Text with transparency

Track Video 2: Video

Regards

Edit: Order of numbers tracks

Former user wrote on 10/27/2017, 4:29 PM

usbsound, if you go by the way that Vegas numbers tracks it would be just the opposite. Track 1-text, track-2 video

usbsound wrote on 10/27/2017, 4:54 PM

usbsound, if you go by the way that Vegas numbers tracks it would be just the opposite. Track 1-text, track-2 video

Right, corrected.

Richard Jones wrote on 10/28/2017, 4:48 AM

Ctrl+Shift+Q for a new video track. The Help button and its Menu at the end of the line at the top of the screen should be your first port of call ---it's a comprehensive selection from the Manual.

Richard