POLL - Should MAGIX change the name?

Comments

FPP wrote on 6/25/2016, 6:05 PM
If (MAGIX) does an overhaul or perhaps make enough changes that all the other NLE's will view as a new standard and maintain the familiar "essence" , then maybe the name "Vegas Phoenix Pro".
As soon as everyone stops laughing, I will still be serious..
The name has a built in backstory in it.
JJKizak wrote on 6/25/2016, 6:22 PM
I already know the backstory---plane (Vegas) crashes in the desert , a German designer creates a new plane (New Vegas) , the new plane (Phoenix) carries New Vegas to the promised land.
JJK
Kit wrote on 6/25/2016, 6:29 PM
Now there's a name that people can get behind.
FPP wrote on 6/25/2016, 6:33 PM
@JJK
If we just have to put any emphasis on the name, then a backstory in the name seems like a neat way of claiming its place in NLE history.
John_Cline wrote on 6/26/2016, 5:56 AM
It's not that we don't care about names, it's that the vast majority of us are just fine with the name Vegas, I've been fine with it for around fourteen years now.
vkmast wrote on 6/26/2016, 6:42 AM
One might note that the MAGIX CEO posted e.g. the following in his email to some of the users recently.

"~~~ at the end of February 2017, you can look forward to the most advanced Movie Studio yet. The new version will come with exciting new features and "

See the whole email in the MS forum thread "We have a timeline for V14".

weevil_ wrote on 6/26/2016, 7:31 AM
@John_Cline It’s not you guys they need to convince to buy the product.

They could call it Stinky Fart Editor for all I personally care. But names do influence some people, branding is important. A percentage of customers will be hung up about looking professional and being perceived as having the highest quality professional tools. They may be lame but their money is worth the same as anybody else's. Don't give people a reason not to buy your product.

Preaching to the converted is not good enough, the need to get out and win over new customers for the platform to get really healthy.
vkmast wrote on 6/26/2016, 7:37 AM
weevil,
there will be always a percentage of customers hung up whatever the name is.
Tech Diver wrote on 6/26/2016, 9:09 AM
Yesterday I read about a new product that is an ocean-going garbage collection boom called Boomy McBoomface. It just goes to show you that a name is far less important than its functionality.

Peter
Kit wrote on 6/26/2016, 9:54 AM
Boomy McBoomface - now there's a good rename for Sound Forge...

The existing names already have name recognition, why bother changing any?
Westside Steve wrote on 6/26/2016, 11:12 AM
Name recognition. Bingo. No change necessary.
WSS
travel_addict wrote on 6/26/2016, 3:05 PM
How about VegasM , then VegasM 2 and so on....I thought maybe
Vegas ProM, but sounds like a high school dance.
weevil_ wrote on 6/26/2016, 3:42 PM
@Tech Diver Okay great let’s call it Vegas Mc Vegaface and see how it goes. Have you thought that perhaps perhaps ocean-going garbage collection and video editing might be two different markets???
weevil_ wrote on 6/26/2016, 3:47 PM
@Westside Steve there is certainly some validity to what you are saying about name recognition... I'm sure the 5 people left still using Vegas will be happy to keep the name the same.
videoITguy wrote on 6/26/2016, 5:34 PM
to : weevil_
remark -Date: 6/26/2016 1:47:23 PM

FYI - the market that currently exists worldwide for VegasPro end-user customers outnumbers the sum of customers of all other NLE combined! That number includes the licensed customer base + the pirated copy user group.

So when it comes to name recognition, it can be argued that VegasPro is even better than another 'well-known' name like AVID. That fact alone offers huge argument for not touching the name at all.

As for gaining new customers, the name of VegasPro will not be a deterrent to gaining such a customer, and that again argues for leaving the name as it is.
VMP wrote on 6/26/2016, 5:47 PM
+1 VideoITguy

I have posted this link before showing that Vegas Pro is on the top 4 list of the most used NLE in the world:

Not sure where weevil got the "5 people left still using Vegas" statistics from. Or was that a trolling remark?

Also the name Vegas Pro makes the software much more 'Cooler' to youngster below 30.
Most 30 below users that I know of (the future generation pro NLE editors) have an opinion that NLE like Avid are old and dusty.

Image statistics:

VMP

Tech Diver wrote on 6/26/2016, 6:20 PM
@ weevil_
"Have you thought that perhaps ocean-going garbage collection and video editing might be two different markets???"

Yes, garbage collecting booms are designed and used by marine biologists and oceanographers, most of who are Ph.D. scientists. Most Vegas users do not have a Ph.D.

Peter
(who performs machine vision research on automated marine substrate classification at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution)
Earl_J wrote on 6/26/2016, 7:04 PM
riredale. . .

it has Split and Monitor(?) Wall now. . . (grin)

John Cline. . . when the creative juices start to flow...
it is hard for some of us to control the direction in
which it flows...
Of course, I don't need to point it out...
It's so obvious to everyone here. . .
(wink)
It's all in "good fun" and "good spirits"...
[for a change; it was looking a bit bleak not
so very long ago, yes...?]

It's a "creative way" to spread the joy...

Let the children have their fun. . .
Magix will wield the hammer when necessary...

(grin - maybe they'll put some emoticons in here)

Until that time. . .
Earl_J wrote on 6/26/2016, 7:13 PM
We could convince people that NLE is the old school standard...

We've moved on to SFE. . . (wink)
Serena Steuart wrote on 6/27/2016, 12:34 AM
I can't see much point in changing the name. I see benefits in rewriting the heritage software structure, while being cautious about problems in the transition. The only possible benefit to changing a product name is to free a product from an adverse public perception. In the case of Vegas Pro I don't think changing the name is warranted.
weevil_ wrote on 6/27/2016, 5:06 AM
@VMP it’s a tongue in cheek comment.

I wouldn’t go flashing that survey around too proudly, the guy that did it admits several times that it is total rubbish. Just because someone has a graph on the internet does not make it true.
ushere wrote on 6/27/2016, 7:00 AM
oi vey - there i was thinking everything i read on the net was true....
erling-ervik wrote on 6/27/2016, 7:50 AM
If they want to sell upgrades they must keep the name. Or else we will not trust that it's an upgrade.
gpsmikey wrote on 7/4/2016, 10:27 AM
How about "vegi-magix" (from the Vegematic food processor) :-)

I never equated Vegas with the city - I tend to think the correct pronunciation of the city is "Lost Wages" :-)

mikey