Vegas Pro 15 Suggestions to Developers

Dawn32 wrote on 1/16/2018, 12:28 AM

Dear Vegas Pro Developers Team,

Vegas Pro is my favorite NLE of all times. Love it’s small footprint, speed, the new interface (and the old one as well), advanced DAW and compositing features, and much more.

Sonic Foundry made a great start with Vegas Video 2.0 and further versions, then Sony had a promising continuation with it and added some major input during it’s best (mid 2000s?) years. Unfortunately, Sony stumbled and didn’t manage to get the same market share for Vegas as for Premiere, Media Composer or Final Cut, even though there were opportunities and gaps, and Vegas Pro deserves it big time, as it is an extremely capable, flexible and promising NLE. Even though it is not perfect (as well as any other piece of software in the market). This is very unjust that Vegas Pro, being in some aspects superior to Premiere Pro, Avid Media Composer and Final Cut Pro, has far less exposure to film and video professionals. Such outstanding features as advanced sound editing in the same project (no other NLE has them), advanced color correction features, unlimited a/v tracks, advanced compositing support (3D-tracks, masks of any shape), seamless integration of multiple formats/resolutions/frame rates in one timeline, easy resolutions change in the project, no junk files on the HDD, overall speed, no crappy subscription payment mode etc. etc.– to name a few. As far as I remember, Vegas was the first to implement HD, then the first to implement 4K footage support, the first to fully support objects of multiple formats and resolutions in the same timeline, and is still the only proper NLE and proper DAW in one piece of software. Today, as many editors are dissatisfied with Avid and Adobe products (heavy, glitchy and expensive), and FCP lost it’s fanbase after FCP X, there are opportunities for Vegas Pro to step up and offer itself as a fully-featured dynamically developing alternative. BlackMagic Resolve is using this opportunity as well pretty aggressively.

I hope Magix will give Vegas Pro a boost it deserves. Not only for Youtube vlogs and enthusiasts, but for professionals in broadcasting, documentaries, music videos, commercials and feature films. It has lots of tools for that, and might have even more. Here are few suggestions to developers – things that (in my opinion) would be nice to implement in the next Vegas Pro 15 updates (including Steam edition):

1. Improve overall stability / crashes issues.

2. Allow timeline selection using "Normal edit tool" (not only horizontal selection of the whole timeline like it is now, or ctrl+click or shift+click selection, but also rectangle-area-cursor selection). Basically, combine "Normal edit tool" and "Selection edit tool" in one tool (maybe make another instance of “Normal edit tool” - for example, “Advanced normal edit tool” or something like that. For instance, this kind of combo in one main editing tool was very nicely implemented in Final Cut Pro 7. The timeline selection is a very frequent and common operation, so it would be nice not to have to switch between the “Normal edit tool” and “Selection edit tool” every time you need to select multiple objects on the timeline. That’s pretty important. Also, it would be nice to assign the hot keys to every single editing tool.

3. Allow more than one instance of Vegas Pro 15 Steam Edition to be open at the same time (often necessary when one needs to copy the stuff from/between different projects/timelines).

4. Allow scrolling the audio/video effects/plugins chain with the mouse scroll wheel in effects window for media/track/event/project video and audio effects. That would be very convenient when working with multiple effects. Right now you have to click on the small arrows in the FX window in order to scroll the FX chain.

5. Implement sequences concept (i.e. allow several timelines in one project, like in other major NLEs).

6. Implement TRUE (vector?) high-DPI interface/screen support (the interface scaling looks not the best / a bit blurry on 4K display).

7. Add VST3 support.

8. Add 7.1 Surround support.

9. 8K support. The 6K is already a production reality.

10. Add more native video effects and transitions (a good selling point).

11. As Vegas Pro has some compositing features, it would be awesome to add native motion tracking support, virtual 3D-camera (like AE or other compositing software has), particle effects and major 3d-objects formats import support for advanced compositing.

12. As Vegas Pro is a great DAW, it would become a fully featured DAW if it would have a full midi sequencing support. I don’t know if it crosses paths with ACID Pro sales wise, but ACID seems to be forgotten, and Vegas Pro would benefit as a DAW as well (it was born as a DAW only anyways).

13. Please fix this issue: Vegas Pro 15 build 261 Steam Edition has a rendering dead-freeze when deinterlacing rendering some old SD mpeg2 files while sharpening, color correcting and upscaling to FHD using "Smart Adaptive (GPU Only)" project properties for deinterlacing. I tried different render presets, formats, switching the GPU support on and off etc. Didn't help. What helped was switching Deinterlace Method in Project Properties from "Smart adaptive (GPU Only)" to "Blend Fields". It would be nice if rendering in this situation would not freeze using “Smart adaptive (GPU Only)".

Thank you and keep up the great work!

Comments

EricLNZ wrote on 1/16/2018, 12:46 AM

Item 3 - why is there this difference between the normal and Steam versions? It puzzles me. Who produces the Steam edition - Magix or Steam?

vkmast wrote on 1/16/2018, 4:46 AM

Item 3 - why is there this difference between the normal and Steam versions? It puzzles me. Who produces the Steam edition - Magix or Steam?

Maybe these two comments explain something? There was a workaround reported in 2015. The "SCS CS Team" didn't seem to mind at the time.

EricLNZ wrote on 1/16/2018, 5:08 AM

Thanks. Some well known software has Steam editions. Magix and Cyberlink both appear. I also noticed Movie Studio 13 Platinum which might explain how it can still be purchased.