What are your top picks for a laptop that can run VP . . .?

Crowyote wrote on 12/15/2021, 5:25 AM

and also run a DAW externally using "ReaRoute" or some other feature etc at the same time with no jittery-ness.

I've been using my 2013 Toshiba i7 to run VP17 with just barely enough processing power to get my projects done. For now, I have to edit my video performances in Vegas, then export the audio to Reaper and edit with various plugins to get the mix/master perfect to -14 LUFS -dB, then I import the mastered audio into VP to composite the audio and video together into a final product.

I'd like to cut out the extra steps, and be able to adjust the plugins in real time in Reaper. My computer can't handle both at once without the programs locking up. Also a machine that can run the latest VP iteration would be nice.

I'm trying to stick to a $2000ish limit. Should I wait post-CES?

Comments

Dexcon wrote on 12/15/2021, 5:48 AM

Re the latest version of Vegas Pro 19, the minimum specifications are:

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/specifications/#productMenu

For non-Vegas products such as Reaper, it would be better if you checked out those products' web pages for minimum specifications or post your question on those products' forums where available.

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX100E; GoPro Hero 11 Black Creator Edition

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 2TB Samsung 990 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

E: drive: 2TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD

F: drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

Dell Ultrasharp 32" 4K Color Calibrated Monitor

rraud wrote on 12/15/2021, 9:18 AM

Vegas built-in DAW is substantial and adequate in most cases... aside from the lack of VST-3 support and native side-chaining. Sound Forge can be integrated into VP as well. I do not even bother with Reaper (or SloTools) in most cases. Reaper is a nice DAW for audio only projects though.

Seb-o wrote on 12/15/2021, 11:47 PM

Vegas built-in DAW is substantial and adequate in most cases... aside from the lack of VST-3 support and native side-chaining. Sound Forge can be integrated into VP as well. I do not even bother with Reaper (or SloTools) in most cases. Reaper is a nice DAW for audio only projects though.

I have a lot of respect for Vegas as an audio editor, it is good, and can certainly get one through some projects all by itself, OTOH, it's not really up the level or range of ability of virtually any dedicated Digital Audio Workstation (DAW). One wouldn't start a music-based project in VEGAS, you can't do MIDI for one glaring omission; The resolution is not extremely fine for editing wave forms, and the list goes on. The fact that the OP mentions standalone DAW as a priority should be taken at face value, and that meaning a full functioning, state of the art DAW of whatever flavor.

Crowyote wrote on 12/16/2021, 2:13 AM

That may be, but the instant I import all my chains VSTs like T-racks and Izotope Ozone it starts crashing or jittering and I have no ability to judge what's going on. My computer can't handle it.

One of the best things about Reaper now is the ability to do "dry-runs" which means you can check an audio render to determine peak level, clipping and the ever important LUFS.

Without being able to do tha . . . t I can set Ozone's Maximizer or Limiter to peak hold for 5000ms or so and set the meters to "Integrated" when I run a track to determine the peak level, but it's not always equivalent to the output.

At present, I can only run Ozone Elements 9 in VP17's DAW, but still it jitters when I do that.

Another thing I haven't discovered in VP17's DAW is how to split a video's audio track-if it's a stereo file-into 2 separate tracks. There must be a solution in there somewhere . . .

Reyfox wrote on 12/16/2021, 3:52 AM

@Crowyote, you can split the stereo track in the editor. I am not familiar with the DAW aspect of Vegas. But here is how.

Right mouse click on the audio track header and select Duplicate Track. You will have 2 stereo tracks now. Right mouse click on the audio track and Channels>Left only on one track and Channels>Right only on the other.

BTW, I have Reaper DAW (paid). My needs are simple and the DAW can be on a couple of computers. So it makes things easier for me without having to have Vegas installed on the church computer where there will be zero editing, but I can still have Vegas installed on 2 computers at home. And now, Reaper is starting to incorporate video editing. Not on the level of Vegas, or any "consumer" editor, but for light editing, it might work. I just never bothered to try it.

As for laptops... Reaper is running quite well on just about any type of inexpensive laptop. With Vegas, I would wait until after CES, which is around the corner, to see what will be out. But I would guess any good gaming laptop would suffice.

Last changed by Reyfox on 12/20/2021, 4:37 PM, changed a total of 3 times.

Newbie😁

Vegas Pro 22 (VP18-21 also installed)

Win 11 Pro always updated

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 cores / 32 threads

32GB DDR4 3200

Sapphire RX6700XT 12GB Driver: 22.5.1, testing 24.7.1

Gigabyte X570 Elite Motherboard

LanceMGY wrote on 12/20/2021, 3:55 PM

"That may be, but the instant I import all my chains VSTs like T-racks and Izotope Ozone it starts crashing or jittering and I have no ability to judge what's going on. My computer can't handle it."

This is really THE one and only issue with Vegas I'm still interested in, and the only reason really I frequent this forum.... to see if others experience the ridiculous glitching and general uselessness of Vegas and 3rd party audio plug-ins. I've no clue if this is finally fixed in VP19, I'm guessing not. Emailed Magix support a couple years ago and got a promising answer at the time, something like 'we're aware of this and very seriously considering a fix' or such. But no dice. Can anyone else verify that VST audio plug-ins still glitch and are rather useless even in VP19?

It's nothing to do with your computer, this issue has persisted since the 64bit version of Vegas. For this reason, I keep Vegas 10e 32bit installed... it's THE only version of Vegas that can use plug-ins without glitching. Problem is it's very old and only 32bit, so it's limited and I fear the day it no longer opens as I seriously doubt Magix would help me out.

The ONLY way to get audio plug-ins to work in any 64bit version of Vegas is to use them only on the Track level, NOT as a bus or master fx. It'll still glitch some but works better. Any VST plug-in that has a lot of moving graphics will glitch worse. As soon as you move the plug-in window or move any control in the plug-in during playback, it will glitch.

Wish this was fixed in VP19 but I have my doubts. IF it was fixed, my company would probably purchase several licences, but VP isn't useful to us as long as the VST glitch issue persists. Good luck!

Reyfox wrote on 12/20/2021, 4:38 PM

@LanceMGY you can download the trial version and see if it works for you.

Newbie😁

Vegas Pro 22 (VP18-21 also installed)

Win 11 Pro always updated

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 cores / 32 threads

32GB DDR4 3200

Sapphire RX6700XT 12GB Driver: 22.5.1, testing 24.7.1

Gigabyte X570 Elite Motherboard

fr0sty wrote on 12/20/2021, 4:51 PM

Asus Zenbook Pro Duo. 2 screens... put vegas' timeline on the bottom screen, get a 4K OLED HDR full screen preview on top.

LanceMGY wrote on 12/20/2021, 4:53 PM

Of course. Or, we can get a straightforward answer as to whether this bug has been fixed, or not. Clearly I'm not the only one using VST plug-ins and having the glitching issue. If not answered here, maybe a new thread should be started. I hesitate to email Magix support, often they're not aware of this issue.

vkmast wrote on 12/20/2021, 5:03 PM

VEGAS Support for VEGAS products

RogerS wrote on 12/20/2021, 10:44 PM

Of course. Or, we can get a straightforward answer as to whether this bug has been fixed, or not. Clearly I'm not the only one using VST plug-ins and having the glitching issue. If not answered here, maybe a new thread should be started. I hesitate to email Magix support, often they're not aware of this issue.

I've seen no change on the audio side in recent years. So I'd keep waiting. I use 32-bit VST 2s, and it mostly works, though for complex projects I roundtrip audio to other software rather than attempting to do it all in Vegas.

Custom PC (2022) Intel i5-13600K with UHD 770 iGPU with latest driver, MSI z690 Tomahawk motherboard, 64GB Corsair DDR5 5200 ram, NVIDIA 2080 Super (8GB) with latest studio driver, 2TB Hynix P41 SSD and 2TB Samsung 980 Pro cache drive, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

Dell XPS 15 laptop (2017) 32GB ram, NVIDIA 1050 (4GB) with latest studio driver, Intel i7-7700HQ with Intel 630 iGPU (latest available driver), dual internal SSD (1TB; 1TB), Windows 10 64 bit

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208
VEGAS Pro 22.93

Try the
VEGAS 4K "sample project" benchmark (works with VP 16+): https://forms.gle/ypyrrbUghEiaf2aC7
VEGAS Pro 20 "Ad" benchmark (works with VP 20+): https://forms.gle/eErJTR87K2bbJc4Q7

Crowyote wrote on 12/21/2021, 12:06 AM

Asus Zenbook Pro Duo. 2 screens... put vegas' timeline on the bottom screen, get a 4K OLED HDR full screen preview on top.

Thanks! I didn't know about this one!

Bad news for this thread tho . . . I blew my load on an expensive guitar I've been wanting. I should be getting more funds in a few months tho.

@Crowyote, you can split the stereo track in the editor. I am not familiar with the DAW aspect of Vegas. But here is how.

Right mouse click on the audio track header and select Duplicate Track. You will have 2 stereo tracks now. Right mouse click on the audio track and Channels>Left only on one track and Channels>Right only on the other.

BTW, I have Reaper DAW (paid). My needs are simple and the DAW can be on a couple of computers. So it makes things easier for me without having to have Vegas installed on the church computer where there will be zero editing, but I can still have Vegas installed on 2 computers at home. And now, Reaper is starting to incorporate video editing. Not on the level of Vegas, or any "consumer" editor, but for light editing, it might work. I just never bothered to try it.

As for laptops... Reaper is running quite well on just about any type of inexpensive laptop. With Vegas, I would wait until after CES, which is around the corner, to see what will be out. But I would guess any good gaming laptop would suffice.

I thought I had thanked you for this . . . but it must not have posted. Thanks!

"That may be, but the instant I import all my chains VSTs like T-racks and Izotope Ozone it starts crashing or jittering and I have no ability to judge what's going on. My computer can't handle it."

This is really THE one and only issue with Vegas I'm still interested in, and the only reason really I frequent this forum.... to see if others experience the ridiculous glitching and general uselessness of Vegas and 3rd party audio plug-ins. I've no clue if this is finally fixed in VP19, I'm guessing not. Emailed Magix support a couple years ago and got a promising answer at the time, something like 'we're aware of this and very seriously considering a fix' or such. But no dice. Can anyone else verify that VST audio plug-ins still glitch and are rather useless even in VP19?

It's nothing to do with your computer, this issue has persisted since the 64bit version of Vegas. For this reason, I keep Vegas 10e 32bit installed... it's THE only version of Vegas that can use plug-ins without glitching. Problem is it's very old and only 32bit, so it's limited and I fear the day it no longer opens as I seriously doubt Magix would help me out.

The ONLY way to get audio plug-ins to work in any 64bit version of Vegas is to use them only on the Track level, NOT as a bus or master fx. It'll still glitch some but works better. Any VST plug-in that has a lot of moving graphics will glitch worse. As soon as you move the plug-in window or move any control in the plug-in during playback, it will glitch.

Wish this was fixed in VP19 but I have my doubts. IF it was fixed, my company would probably purchase several licences, but VP isn't useful to us as long as the VST glitch issue persists. Good luck!

Yes. Now I had thought this was just my computer, but it's good to know that my problem will not be fixed just by upgrading. I have almost a decade old i7 3900 or sumpin. I did upgrade ram to 16gb and the hard drive to a 2tb SSD. It's actually 3/4 full . . . so I'll probably be replacing my machine when I reach that point.

VEGAS MUST fix this audio-video VST workflow for their next iteration. I want VP 19, but my current computer doesn't meet specs on the intel chip, so I'm still stuck on 17. I want a one program fix all situation and if necessary the ability to run a daw (Reaper) in parallel. I use a lot of plugins, a full TR5 suite, and a few izotope ozone modules, slate digital fresh air, valhalla reverb etc. Plus I use very heavy chains of video plugins for psychedelic effects. That's my whole vibe!

If this is premier software suitable for the workflow of a top of the line filmmaker, it also needs to work for a weirdo avante-garde indie like me.

Crowyote wrote on 3/30/2022, 2:13 AM

So, the time finally came when I bit the bullet and bought an ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo UX582 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900H @ 2.50GHz with NVIDIa RTX 3080 graphics, 32 mb the whole shebang and I'm loving everything except for the fact that some of my old apps don't seem to be compatible with Windows 11.

I'm considering upgrading to Vegas Pro 19 . . . is VP19 compatible with Windows 11 yet?

RogerS wrote on 3/30/2022, 2:32 AM

No, it's not officially tested with Windows 11 but generally works for people. I'd install the trial if you want to double-check that it works.

If you get a chance I'd be curious to see what a render benchmark looks like on that system. Sample project and instructions here.

Custom PC (2022) Intel i5-13600K with UHD 770 iGPU with latest driver, MSI z690 Tomahawk motherboard, 64GB Corsair DDR5 5200 ram, NVIDIA 2080 Super (8GB) with latest studio driver, 2TB Hynix P41 SSD and 2TB Samsung 980 Pro cache drive, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

Dell XPS 15 laptop (2017) 32GB ram, NVIDIA 1050 (4GB) with latest studio driver, Intel i7-7700HQ with Intel 630 iGPU (latest available driver), dual internal SSD (1TB; 1TB), Windows 10 64 bit

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208
VEGAS Pro 22.93

Try the
VEGAS 4K "sample project" benchmark (works with VP 16+): https://forms.gle/ypyrrbUghEiaf2aC7
VEGAS Pro 20 "Ad" benchmark (works with VP 20+): https://forms.gle/eErJTR87K2bbJc4Q7

Crowyote wrote on 4/17/2022, 4:38 AM

No, it's not officially tested with Windows 11 but generally works for people. I'd install the trial if you want to double-check that it works.

If you get a chance I'd be curious to see what a render benchmark looks like on that system. Sample project and instructions here.

So . . .I've only done one render on it so far as I'm still getting acquainted with the computer's new features. I'm not sure how to do benchmarks really . . . Any tutorials?

I'm really loving this computer for most of my workflow, but I'm not sure if it's the right computer for Vegas.

I've tried editing a few projects and they've mostly left me frustrated unless I keep the video effects really simple.

In preferences under "video" I've decided to stick with "off" on gpu acceleration. Using the installed NVIDIA GEFORCE 8GB RTX3080 shows a high resolution in the preview frame, but it results in my computer really lagging, especially with VSTs on the audio track, and the fan runs consistently. I tried switching to Intel graphics and using effects on the audio chain worked, only lagging when I move around the preview screen. Once I started introducing multiple Video effects, the screen started flickering and wouldn't stop until I turn the computer off and on.

So, I'm keeping GPU acceleration off, even in that mode the audio or visual drops out whenever I move around the preview screen or add a new effect; but at least it doesn't force quit, etc. Maybe 32gb RAM just isn't enough after all? I'm going to be upgrading the hard drive to a Samsung 980 Pro 2tb, so maybe that will improve performance . . .

I'm also considering upgrading to VP19, but wonder if either VP20 will be released soon or if I should just switch over to Adobe . . .

RogerS wrote on 4/17/2022, 1:14 PM

The specific render benchmark I linked to above has instructions. If you can't figure it out, just message me.

For VSTs, stick to 32-bit VST2s for best hope of good performance. Otherwise finish audio edits and swap audio files if you have performance or stability issues. I bounce audio to IzotopeRx and bring back finished audio- others do the same with Soundforge.

I would keep GPU acceleration on under video and use the latest Studio driver for the RTX 3080. For preferences/ file i/o let the Intel handle the decoding. If the upgrade price is right I'd consider 19- some good sales of late. 19 fixes a number of GPU and decoding bugs present in 15-17. 32GB of ram should be adequate.

I don't see Adobe as an attractive alternative unless you've already got a Creative Cloud subscription or are familiar with Premiere. It has its own share of bugs and performance issues. Some users are ditching it for Resolve.

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208
VEGAS Pro 22.93

Try the

Former user wrote on 4/17/2022, 6:28 PM

I'm also considering upgrading to VP19, but wonder if either VP20 will be released soon or if I should just switch over to Adobe . . .

Why buy a good GPU and then can't use it due to limitations of software. If you are seriously considering moving to Premiere you can start the subscription and if it is not for you cancel within 14 days for full refund. Also download vp19 trial. see if you only have the GPU problems in Vegas

Crowyote wrote on 4/26/2022, 2:50 AM

The specific render benchmark I linked to above has instructions. If you can't figure it out, just message me.

For VSTs, stick to 32-bit VST2s for best hope of good performance. Otherwise finish audio edits and swap audio files if you have performance or stability issues. I bounce audio to IzotopeRx and bring back finished audio- others do the same with Soundforge.

I would keep GPU acceleration on under video and use the latest Studio driver for the RTX 3080. For preferences/ file i/o let the Intel handle the decoding. If the upgrade price is right I'd consider 19- some good sales of late. 19 fixes a number of GPU and decoding bugs present in 15-17. 32GB of ram should be adequate.

I don't see Adobe as an attractive alternative unless you've already got a Creative Cloud subscription or are familiar with Premiere. It has its own share of bugs and performance issues. Some users are ditching it for Resolve.

I've started using the VP 19 Trial. It does seem to be running more smoothly overall. I might have been creating the problem by using a considerable amount of RAM for Dynamic Ram Preview (about 8192 RAM which is 1/4, I figured it would be ok because I used to run on my old 16GB Ram comp at 4096) . . . so I'm not sure if it actually pulls from the GPU RAM (8Gb) as opposed to Memory? So now I'm keeping that setting at 4096 and below even with my 32GB.

I do wish that VST3s could be used in the VP projects, so the computer was taxed less... I tend to use Izotope Ozone 9 Advanced to get a quick serviceable master on the audio. When using a separate audio program, I use Reaper since it allows me to do "dry run" renders (which waste no storage) to check my settings so I can dial the audio track at exactly -14 LUFS -1db for YT/IG, etc. before the final render. I can kinda get close just using Ozone, but sometime the Izotope meters' reading doesn't match the final output exactly.

Now my decision has to be whether to wait for VP20, or to upgrade now to VP19 Edit or Pro. What has me thinking about the "Pro" level is the "Stream function" I can't seem to get it to do very much in trial mode. I heard you could use the VP effects to make your streams look different, but it doesn't seem as intuitive or straightforward as OBS.

I'll look into those benchmarks soon. Thanks.

walter-i. wrote on 4/26/2022, 5:33 AM
Now my decision has to be whether to wait for VP20, or to upgrade now to VP19 Edit or Pro.

@Crowyote
In the past there were purchase options shortly before the release of the new version, where you bought the "old" version - in your case the 19 - with the option to upgrade to the new one - in your case the 20 - for free.
This has the advantage to get a bugfixed version (the "old" one) and to test the "new" one until it runs bugfree for you.  

Whether this purchase option will be made available again, I can not predict of course.

Dexcon wrote on 4/26/2022, 5:52 AM

If last year is anything to go by and the 'buy now and get the new version on release' offer is repeated this year, such an offer might occur around the beginning of July - last year's offer started circa 1 July. But last year, the 'buy VP18 (as an upgrade) and get VP19 on release' offer cost $149 USD whereas the upgrade cost to VP19 on its release was just $119 USD.

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX100E; GoPro Hero 11 Black Creator Edition

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 2TB Samsung 990 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

E: drive: 2TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD

F: drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

Dell Ultrasharp 32" 4K Color Calibrated Monitor

RogerS wrote on 4/26/2022, 11:09 AM

I've started using the VP 19 Trial. It does seem to be running more smoothly overall. I might have been creating the problem by using a considerable amount of RAM for Dynamic Ram Preview (about 8192 RAM which is 1/4, I figured it would be ok because I used to run on my old 16GB Ram comp at 4096) . . . so I'm not sure if it actually pulls from the GPU RAM (8Gb) as opposed to Memory? So now I'm keeping that setting at 4096 and below even with my 32GB.

I do wish that VST3s could be used in the VP projects, so the computer was taxed less... I tend to use Izotope Ozone 9 Advanced to get a quick serviceable master on the audio. When using a separate audio program, I use Reaper since it allows me to do "dry run" renders (which waste no storage) to check my settings so I can dial the audio track at exactly -14 LUFS -1db for YT/IG, etc. before the final render. I can kinda get close just using Ozone, but sometime the Izotope meters' reading doesn't match the final output exactly.

Now my decision has to be whether to wait for VP20, or to upgrade now to VP19 Edit or Pro. What has me thinking about the "Pro" level is the "Stream function" I can't seem to get it to do very much in trial mode. I heard you could use the VP effects to make your streams look different, but it doesn't seem as intuitive or straightforward as OBS.

Dynamic ram preview comes out of system ram.

Izotope is available as a 64-bit VST 2.

You can also create a loudness log in Vegas Pro to see the loudness of your mix.

Stream is a program rather than a function. It's simpler than OBS so if you're familiar with that, stick with it?

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208
VEGAS Pro 22.93

Try the

Crowyote wrote on 5/5/2022, 9:14 PM

Dynamic ram preview comes out of system ram.

Izotope is available as a 64-bit VST 2.

You can also create a loudness log in Vegas Pro to see the loudness of your mix.

Stream is a program rather than a function. It's simpler than OBS so if you're familiar with that, stick with it?

Cool.

Well, I'm a bit bummed because I don't seem to be able to use the elements of Vegas Pro 19 that I really intended to test out just by using the trial version - the Deep Learning AI Track FX that is. Style Transfer, colorization etc all give me an error message "Inference Engine etc. . . Executable such and such not initialized.

I'm guessing this stuff will just get better in VP20 and that version will hopefully be optimized for Windows 11 so suppose I'll wait.

RogerS wrote on 5/5/2022, 9:25 PM

Did you install the AI engine? ("deep learning module"?)

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208
VEGAS Pro 22.93

Try the

Crowyote wrote on 5/5/2022, 9:34 PM

Did you install the AI engine? ("deep learning module"?)

yeah I just tried that. When I do I get a message to "Remove" and I just click cancel . . . Startup VP19 and get the same message when I try to add the Track FX. I've already tried to uninstall and reinstall just a few mins ago . . . Tried both versions. Maybe this trial version or VP19 in general just won't work fully in Windows 11?