Error while rendering (low memory) with Vegas Pro Edit 15

Roberto65 wrote on 4/1/2018, 1:07 PM

Hello,

I am experiencing an error msg when I start rendering a project with Vegas Pro Edit 15 (just bought, so I guess I have the latest version).
The error says the system is low in memory but in reality at the time the msg appears only 50% RAM has been used.
The HD also has hundreds of GB of free space.
The project is nothing really huge: I made bigger projects in the past with VMS... so I am quite surprisd to see this happening now with Vegas Pro...

Did anybody experience the same issue with some project ?

Thanks
Cheers

Roberto

Comments

Former user wrote on 4/1/2018, 1:16 PM

Where are your temp files being stored? Is that drive near full?

Roberto65 wrote on 4/1/2018, 1:57 PM

Where are your temp files being stored? Is that drive near full?

I have hundreds of GB free on the HD, so I believe that's not the problem.
Right now I am rendering without any video FX (I deleted all of them) and the rendering goes fine, so it seems to be something related to some video effect plug-in.
Later I will keep on rendering with incremental number of filtering till I find what could be the issue.

Cheers

Roberto

Former user wrote on 4/1/2018, 2:51 PM

Disabling the So4 ... dll fixed low memory here, see for Frostys highlights project, maybe try also? https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-pro-15-update-4-build-321-general-discussion--110655/?page=5

Roberto65 wrote on 4/1/2018, 3:16 PM

Thanks a lot for your feedback, guys! :-)
Splitting the rendering into separate elements (I have basically only 4 video tracks, but each of them with several of video effects) seems to give no problem. So, now I am trying to apply the suggestions from the post indicated by JN_ to the whole project: 1st attempt is to set the preview RAM to 0 ... originally was set to 200.... and I have 16GB... In a while I should see if things get better because the rendering problem appeared quite soon

Roberto65 wrote on 4/1/2018, 3:26 PM

ok, 1st attempt failed: setting the preview RAM o 0 does not get any benefit. Now I am trying to render with the GPU acceleration disabled... I have GTX980 with 4GB RAM... I doubt that is the problem, but let's see....

Roberto65 wrote on 4/1/2018, 3:48 PM

Disabling GPU Acceleratoin seems to heal the problem... so far I reached a rendering completion percentage higher than the one reached till the low memory issue. In reality I also kept the preview memory set to 0... later on I will try to see if the issue is solved only by disabling the GPU acceleration... but now I wish to see if I can get till the end of the rendering, which takes several hours...

Roberto65 wrote on 4/1/2018, 4:57 PM

I decided to stop the rendering and do some more tests. First test was to set up a high Preview RAM value: I put 8 GB (8192). As soon as VP15 starts, I can see my RAM memory used at 47%. So, I started the rendering (GPU disabled) and after 13% the RAM usage arrived till 99 %... then 100% and so VP crashed. Now, because my project is kind of repetitive, in the meaning that it has no particular differences in terms of video effects or number of events along the timeline, the only explanation for this is MEMORY LEAKING.
Right now I am rendering again using Preview RAM = 0, which ended up to sink about 23% of the whole RAM once the project is loaded. I will let it render but I am afraid that the memory leak will reach a 100% RAM usage before the end of the rendering...
If confirmed, this is a SEVERE BUG and Magix MUST FIX THIS!!! It is not acceptable to see the memory availability decreasing with the rendering... .

NickHope wrote on 4/2/2018, 12:41 AM

Make sure you are on the latest build 321, which fixed a resource leak.

The FAQ thread for troubleshooting rendering problems like this is here: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/faq-how-can-i-stop-vegas-pro-hanging-or-crashing-during-rendering--104786/

vkmast wrote on 4/2/2018, 2:28 AM

Asked about using build 321 as well here before I zoned out 😴

Roberto65 wrote on 4/2/2018, 4:41 AM

Hi, yes it is build 321.
Regarding the long list of possible work-around indicated by Nick:

1. Disable GPU acceleration: DONE
2. Set Preview RAM to 0: DONE
3. Overheating: not a problem. I have a game PC well equipped for 3D Animation and video editing
4. Use friendly media formats: video files are made with Canon Legria HF-G40, Panasonic HdC-SD20, and Nikon 5100; audio files are .wav
5. Disk space: I have 820 GB free in the partition that host the Temp Directory, 170GB free in the SSD that hosts the SW, and 260GB free in the partition with the project
6. Restart VP/Reboot: DONE several times
7. Remove unused media: the whole project has just 81 items and in the project list I only have them
8. Bypass some FX: I believe this is the issue because I tried to render the whole project without FX and it went smooth. In this project I haven't used as many FX as other projects that I made with VMS13 (and which gave no trouble at all), so if this is the root cause, it means I can't expect the same level of stability of VMS13 when I use some FX ? To be specific, I am using FX from NewBlueFX (years ago I bought almost all of them), HitFilm (Ignite), and Boris Continuum Object (in bundle with VP15)
9. Replace problem media: I do not think this is the problem, because of point 6 above, anyway I will try again also this point
10. Render sections to intermediate files: yes, this is what I plan to do today, at least to try to get a final rendered file because I need it by today
11. Split the project: the project is 15 mins long. I can surely split but in the past I made rendering with VMS 13 of longer projects with no issues...
12. Use standard render template: I used Magix AVC/AAC MP4, Internet HD 1080 25fps
13. Consolidate media in one drive: the whole project and related media in in 1 directory with few sub-directories to organize the files. The rendered file is directed to the same directory
14. Smart adaptive de-interlace method: I haven't tried this one yet...
15. Renders hang with Window 10 Creation Edition: not sure about what this means... I have Windows 10 Pro

Additional info of my system:

OS: Windows 10 Pro English 64-bit (Build 10240) / CPU: Intel i7-4970 3.6GHz / MB: MSI Z97 PC-mate / BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. V4.5 19/09/2014 Mode=UEFi / SMBIOS: 2.8 / RAM: 16GB DDR3 1.6GHz / HD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD: 512GB Samsung EVO / VB: Palit GTX980 JetStream 4GB GDDR5 (GeForce Win 10 driver 391.35) / AB: embedded in the MB and VB (currently using the audio from the VB with an HDMI splitter) / DirectX: 12

vkmast wrote on 4/2/2018, 5:00 AM

Just a note about the Win10Pro version: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-10-build-10240-rtm/

(The TC&S FAQ point 1.)

Former user wrote on 4/2/2018, 5:12 AM

I don’t wish to labour the point Roberto, but have you disabled the SO4 ...dll?

Roberto65 wrote on 4/2/2018, 5:53 AM

Hi JN_

actually not, because I simply forgot to ask "What is the SO4xxx.dll and how to disable it?" :-) :-)
Btw, I have some progress here: I am suspecting that the memory leaking is caused by a nesting of BCC Continuum Object FX.
Let me clarify: the project is a chroma-keying, with 3 cameras shooting the subject at different angles (center, left, right).
I used BCC Continuum Object FX to change a background image. This has been applied as a Track FX. Then, along the timeline, I have different videos taken from different camera angles, so I used again the BCC FX to slightly bend the background to create a convincing effect: this time I added the BCC Continuum Object FX directly onto the event.
Now, it is clear that this is not the best way to go, because the Track FX, used to change the background appearance should simply be rendered so that I can import the modified background as a still image (yes, I know what you might think now about the original set up... not very clever... hahaha).

So, that is what I did: saved a still image of the background modified with BCC FX (Track FX), used the modified picture in place of the original one, removed the Track FX (not needed anymore), and left the event FX only (the background picture is stretched along the whole timeline and cut into sections corresponding to the various camera angles).
Now I am rendering and the memory usage seems to be stable at 56% .
Rendering is at 18% completion, so it is too early to say I got the solution, but now I have hope.

If things get well, then the conclusion is: do not nest (i.e. apply two time on the same track) BCC as Track and Event effect as this seems to have issues with memory leaking.

Later, after the rendering is finished, I will do some simple test to verify the above statement.

Thanks a lot to everybody for the help

Roberto

PS: btw, what the SO4 is ??? :-|

NickHope wrote on 4/2/2018, 5:58 AM

...8. Bypass some FX: I believe this is the issue because I tried to render the whole project without FX and it went smooth. In this project I haven't used as many FX as other projects that I made with VMS13 (and which gave no trouble at all), so if this is the root cause, it means I can't expect the same level of stability of VMS13 when I use some FX ? To be specific, I am using FX from NewBlueFX (years ago I bought almost all of them), HitFilm (Ignite), and Boris Continuum Object (in bundle with VP15)...

Edit: Cross posting, but I'll leave it as it is...

So you need to try and figure out which of those plugins is causing it. Besides simply unchecking them on the events/tracks/project, you could disable them as described in point 10 here: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/faq-troubleshooting-crashing-and-stability--104785/ Then just let the project open without them. So to start with, you would probably simply rename the NewBlueFX folder before opening Vegas.

Roberto65 wrote on 4/2/2018, 6:07 AM

Hi Nick,

thanks for the reply. I have strong hint that the problem is caused by nesting BCC Continuum Object FX, see my post above.
Right now I am at 24% rendering and the memory usage is stable at 56% (formerly it reached 100% already after 13% rendering).
I admit that, for the sake of the project type I am working on, the FX nesting wasn't such a brilliant solution :-) ... nevertheless, I might exists cases where it is needed, so perhaps it is worthwhile to analyse whether this case can create memory leaking.
Apart from this, I want to spend some good word on the GUI: I am coming from VMS (I grabbed the offer to upgrade to VP with a reasonable cheap price...and also "motivated" by the issues reported about the 1st release of VMS 15) and I can see a huge leap ahead with VP! :-)

Cheers

Roberto

Former user wrote on 4/2/2018, 6:29 AM

“actually not, because I simply forgot to ask "What is the SO4xxx.dll and how to disable it?" :-) :-)”

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/avc-xavc-s-issues-in-vp15-try-disabling-so4compoundplug-dll--108345/

Roberto65 wrote on 4/2/2018, 6:35 AM

Thanks JN_

I will check the effect of SO4 after the rendering has completed. So far it's at 41% and the RAM usage is confined to 50%, so I think I sorted the problem out :-)

dlion wrote on 4/2/2018, 1:32 PM

Are you writing the render to the same drive the source is on? Usually not a good idea…

Roberto65 wrote on 4/2/2018, 2:41 PM

Are you writing the render to the same drive the source is on? Usually not a good idea…

Why ?

Roberto65 wrote on 4/2/2018, 2:42 PM

Update status: rendering has successfully completed.
The problem seems to be due to the "nesting" of BCC Continuum Object FX, which I applied to the Track and also the events in the track.

Cheers

Roberto

walter-i. wrote on 4/4/2018, 3:01 AM

I also had problems with rendering a longer project in Build 321 with "nesting" (50 minutes),
but not by testing a shorter nesting project (5 minutes or so)
See https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-pro-15-update-4-build-321-general-discussion--110655/?page=5#ca684495