(FAQ) How can I stop VEGAS Pro hanging or crashing during rendering?

NickHope wrote on 12/3/2016, 8:22 AM

If VEGAS Pro is hanging or crashing during rendering (or editing), here are some things you can try to troubleshoot it.

1. TROUBLESHOOT STABILITY

First read this post about troubleshooting crashing and stability. In particular, consider the sections about...

• Disabling so4compoundplug. TRY THIS FIRST if VEGAS is hanging during editing, and so4compoundplug is the decoder plug-in in use.
  • Disabling GPU acceleration. TRY THIS NEXT!
  • Setting Dynamic RAM Preview max to zero. TRY THIS NEXT!
  • Overheating. This is often a cause of problems during rendering, especially on laptops.
  • Using VEGAS-friendly media formats.

2. DISK SPACE

Check you have plenty of disk space on the drive that you are rendering to. Some renders can be huge.

3. RESTART VEGAS PRO/REBOOT PC

It's a good idea to restart VEGAS Pro before an important render to flush the buffers and cache. You may even choose to reboot the computer, especially if you don't shut it down often.

4. REMOVE UNUSED MEDIA

Try purging the unused media from your project to free up system resources. It can also make a big difference to how quickly your project loads. This is done using the button at the top left of your Project Media Window.

VEGAS Pro 15.0:

VEGAS Pro 14.0:

Sony Vegas Pro 13.0 and earlier:

5. BYPASS SOME FX

The problem might be caused by a 3rd-party plugin, or even a native FX. Try bypassing any particularly demanding FX first by unchecking them in the appropriate FX settings window. If that solves the problem then try an alternative plug-in if possible and report the problem.

6. REPLACE "PROBLEM" MEDIA

If it always hangs at the same frame or place, the media may be corrupt. Try replacing the media at that point with recaptured or newly transcoded files.

7. RENDER SECTIONS TO INTERMEDIATE FILES

If the render hangs or fails well into the timeline, try rendering it in shorter sections to intermediate files, then import those into a new project to stitch together. Be sure your intermediate render settings (resolution, frame rate etc.) match your project properties (which should normally match your source media properties) or your destination properties (more info here).

The same format (codec) as your destination delivery format might work OK as an intermediate file, but you may wish to increase the bit rate to maintain quality. Other good choices for high-quality intermediates might include Sony XAVC Intra, Cineform (installed with GoPro Studio which is now part of GoPro Quik Studio), MagicYUV (lossless VFW codec), and high-bitrate AVC.

Some 3rd-party plugins allow you to automatically render regions. These include Vegasaur Transcoder (discussion) and VASST Render Assistant.

8. SPLIT THE PROJECT

Further to that, you could try splitting your project into smaller projects for editing and rendering. For example if your project is 30 minutes long, you could work on three 10-minute projects. After editing each section separately, render an intermediate file from each and import them into a new project to stitch together.

9. USE STANDARD RENDER TEMPLATES

If you are using custom settings for rendering, try rendering using a standard template without any customization applied. If that solves the problem, customize the settings one by one until you find which setting causes the problem.

10. CONSOLIDATE MEDIA ON ONE DRIVE

If your media files are scattered across multiple drives, try moving them to a single drive. A dedicated media drive that is separate from your system drive can help.

11. SMART ADAPTIVE DEINTERLACE METHOD

If you are using VEGAS Pro 14 or later and your Deinterlace method is set to "Smart adaptive (GPU only)" in the Project Properties, try setting it to something else such as "Interpolate fields" (reported case). However smart adaptive deinterlacing does work well.

12. MAGIX AVC/AAC MP4 RENDER - WINDOWS TEMP DIRECTORY FULL

If you render MAGIX AVC/AAC MP4, a temp file (with a name such as "skeo", "s3v4" or "s94c") is written to the Windows temp folder, which by default is C:\user\"name"\appdata\local\temp\ folder. This will cause the render to fail if that drive runs out of space. A workaround is to change the Windows temp folder location using the TMP environment variable, as described here and here.

13. USE CPU ENCODING INSTEAD OF GPU ENCODING

Using CPU-only encoding instead of hardware (GPU) encoding may improve stability, particularly if you disable QSV encoding. It may also improve quality (at the expense of speed). See part #4 of this post.

14. "RENDER AS" HANG WITH WINDOWS 10 CREATORS EDITION

If rendering hangs VEGAS Pro with Windows 10 Creators Edition or later, a package of measures might be required to work around the problem, involving some or all of these steps:

• Plug monitor into discrete graphics card, not Intel integrated graphics port.
    • Clean reinstall of discrete graphics card drivers
    • In Internal Preferences (hold SHIFT while clicking "Preferences" to access):
      • Set "Disable multi-core rendering" to TRUE
      • Set "Enable multi-core rendering for playback" to FALSE
    • In Video Prefences:
      • Set "Dynamic RAM Preview max" to 0
      • Set "GPU acceleration of video processing" to Off
    • Open VEGAS Pro in Windows 7 compatibility mode (right click program shortcut > Properties > Compatibility)

15. IF YOU STILL NEED HELP

If the above steps do not help you solve the problem, make a forum post and/or support request, including the following information:

• Your system specifications
    • Exactly which version and build number you are using
    • The type of media you are using, if this is relevant. MediaInfo and VEGAS Pro File Properties reports are useful.
    • The exact format you are rendering. If you are rendering with custom settings then a screenshot would be useful.
    • The exact point at which VEGAS hangs or fails, and the exact contents of any error messages
    • If VEGAS crashes and displays a Problem Reporting Service (PRS) window, send the error report to the support team.

16. RELATED POSTS & LNKS

Comments

NickHope wrote on 12/5/2016, 10:13 AM

Suggestions for corrections and additions via comments or personal messages are welcome but comments here may be deleted later as this is an "FAQ" post. Please start a new post or use an old thread to discuss subjects in depth or to raise individual cases.

mbarton wrote on 12/5/2016, 11:00 AM

Thanks Nick for getting this posted.

Vegasaur supports rendering regions too and supports Vegas Pro 14.

I have also found using Cineform as an intermediate codec helps. The other day, I was using Boris Red 5.6 to paint some lines on the video. In the VP14 preview window all looked good, until I rendered an mp4 with MainConcept and the lines had shifted position. I was able to render to a new track with Cineform and mute the orginal track and the render with Mainconcept worked as expected.

NickHope wrote on 12/6/2016, 10:40 PM
    Vegasaur supports rendering regions too and supports Vegas Pro 14.

Added. Thanks!

set wrote on 12/6/2016, 10:48 PM

Set DRAM memory (Options>Preferences>Video 'tab') to 0 also can help.

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
    Bandung, West Java, Indonesia (UTC+7 Time Area)

Personal FB | Personal IG | Personal YT Channel
    Chungs Video FB | Chungs Video IG | Chungs Video YT Channel
    Personal Portfolios YouTube Playlist
    Pond5 page: My Stock Footage of Bandung city

System 5-2021:
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
    Video Card1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2127 (Feb 1 2024 Release date))
    Video Card2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (Driver Version 551.23 Studio Driver (Jan 24 2024 Release Date))
    RAM: 32.0 GB
    Drive OS: SSD 240GB
    Drive Working: NVMe 1TB
    Drive Storage: 4TB+2TB

System 2-2018:
    ASUS ROG Strix Hero II GL504GM Gaming Laptop
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 8750H CPU @2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
    Video Card 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2111)
    Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM (Driver Version 537.58)
    RAM: 16GB
    Storage: M.2 NVMe PCIe 256GB SSD & 2.5" 5400rpm 1TB SSHD

* I don't work for VEGAS Creative Software Team. I'm just Voluntary Moderator in this forum.

NickHope wrote on 12/6/2016, 11:31 PM

Set DRAM memory (Options>Preferences>Video 'tab') to 0 also can help.

Added. Currently #6. Thanks!

[Edit: I now moved it to the more general stability FAQ post as in some circumstances it can help during playback, not just during rendering.]

Musicvid wrote on 12/7/2016, 6:02 AM

Close and re-open the project just prior to rendering to flush the buffers and cache.

Still my ritual since V2 and does no harm.

Dexcon wrote on 12/7/2016, 6:06 AM

+1 Musicvid

And I often even reboot the computer just prior to rendering, especially on large projects.

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX100E; GoPro Hero 11 Black Creator Edition

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 2TB Samsung 990 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

E: drive: 2TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD

F: drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

Dell Ultrasharp 32" 4K Color Calibrated Monitor

vkmast wrote on 12/7/2016, 6:10 AM

11. Exactly which version (including build number) you are using.

NickHope wrote on 12/7/2016, 11:21 AM

Close and re-open the project just prior to rendering to flush the buffers and cache.

Added (currently #3) a suggestion to actually restart VEGAS Pro which could have more of a flushing effect. I've usually done that when I have a big render to do. Also Dexcon's suggestion.

11. Exactly which version (including build number) you are using.

Added on a this and a few other posts.

NickHope wrote on 4/20/2017, 1:17 AM

User bgp found that "There were some files in the Sony Appdata users folder that were not removed when uninstalling a previous Sony product. For some reason MS14 was reading this and that crashed the Render As box." I'm trying to get some more information and will add to the OP if there's more clarity.

NickHope wrote on 9/17/2017, 7:12 AM

User chaz-warkulwiz solved "Render As" system hangs by, amongst other previously-documented things, changing the multi-core rendering settings in the internal preferences.

Grazie wrote on 9/30/2017, 10:48 PM

@Nick: Interesting read that! In essence, Chaz had discovered that although GPU had been disabled from within Vegas Toolbar>Preferences, it would appear it was still enabled within Internal Preference.

LongIslander wrote on 12/4/2017, 3:24 AM

A good one to add to the list is that the system Page File MUST be turned on. (it is by default in windows) I was getting crashes non stop because I had it disabled! Even IF you have enough ram Vegas seems to need/use the page file regardless.

HasanKhurshid29 wrote on 12/7/2018, 1:31 PM

I am using i7 8086k

I couldn't complete a render after i updgraded my cpu from 2600 to 8086k. I have tried both Vegas Pro 15 and 16. The video files are avchd from sony camcorders.

General
      Name: 00094.MTS
      Folder:
      Type: MPEG-2 Transport Stream
      Size: 1.50 GB (1,538,752,512 bytes)
      Created: Sunday, November 25, 2018, 11:52:37 PM
      Modified: Saturday, November 24, 2018, 9:52:54 PM
      Accessed: Sunday, November 25, 2018, 11:52:37 PM
      Attributes: Archive

Streams
      Video: 00:09:07.547, 29.970 fps interlaced, 1920x1080x12, AVC
      Audio: 00:09:07.547, 48,000 Hz, Stereo, Dolby AC-3

ACID information
      ACID chunk: no
      Stretch chunk: no
      Stretch list: no
      Stretch info2: no
      Beat markers: no
      Detected beats: no

Other metadata
      Regions/markers: no
      Command markers: no

Media manager
      Media tags: no

Plug-In
      Name: compoundplug.dll
      Folder: C:\Program Files\VEGAS\VEGAS Pro 16.0\FileIO Plug-Ins\compoundplug
      Format: MPEG-2 Transport Stream
      Version: Version 16.0 (Build 307)
      Company: MAGIX Computer Products Intl. Co.

NickHope wrote on 12/7/2018, 10:55 PM

@HasanKhurshid29

Does Vegas crash?

Does it hang?

Does it fail at the same point every time?

What format are you rendering?

Have you tried setting dynamic RAM preview max to zero?

Have you tried disabling GPU acceleration of video processing?

HasanKhurshid29 wrote on 12/8/2018, 10:49 AM

Does not crash but Task Manager shows not responding and rendering freezes. When I end task then it shows error reporting.

No it does not fail at same point.

I am rendering in standard 1080p 29fps MP4 Intel QSV.

Dynamic RAM preview is also to zero

I don't want to disable GPU acceleration as I want to take advantage of GPU.

Lastly I have frame running with feather(using masking feature).

NickHope wrote on 12/9/2018, 12:08 AM

@HasanKhurshid29 To isolate the cause, I suggest you test with GPU acceleration of video processing OFF, then with QSV rendering OFF, then perhaps with both OFF.

If that helps then you could try changing your Intel HD Graphics driver and see if that enables you to have those things turned ON.

fifonik wrote on 4/28/2019, 1:56 AM

Recently started to have hanging during rendering in random position. Rended to frameserver, Sony AVC (CPU only). Tried Magix AVC (CPU only).

Previously did not have such issue with the same footage and the same set of filters (mercalli v4, neatvideo, levels, curves, color correction, sharpen, crop). Hardware have not changed as well (I'm using AMD RX 470 GPU).

Switching OFF HW acceleration in Vegas solved the issue, but everything was much slower (that was expected) so I did not like this "solution".

I do not have dedicated PC for video editing (video editing is my hobby) and the PC is used for gaming as well. So I am upgrading drivers (including graphics card drivers) on regular basis.

I was aware that some GPU drivers can cause issues with Vegas, however have not experienced anything like this personally for long period of time (a few years).

Long story short, I rolled back from Radeon Software 19.x to Radeon Software 17.7.2 (started installer and selected clean install) and now render back to normal.

I have not tried to clean re-install these 19.x drivers yet (I'm going to try this sooner or later).

May be this information will help someone.

UPDATE:

There are a few WHQL (not beta) versions from 17.7.2 to the most recent 19.4.1. Here is what I've found in my testings:

17.7.2    OK
    17.11.1    not tested
    17.12.1    OK
    18.2.1    not tested
    18.5.1    OK
    18.9.3    FAIL
    18.12.2    not tested
    19.1.1    FAIL
    19.4.1    FAIL

Tested by rendering with SonyAVC encoder at least three times (stopped if render was hanging earlier).

Tried with different chipset drivers (I'm using Ryzen CPU atm): 17.4, 18.10 and 18.50. Have not found any dependencies on these MB drivers.

So now I'm on graphics card driver 18.5.1 & chipset driver 18.50

UPDATE 2:

Testes beta drivers between 18.5.1 and 18.9.3 and they all failed. So I wend back to 18.5.1

Last changed by fifonik on 5/9/2019, 8:00 PM, changed a total of 4 times.

Camcorder: Panasonic X1500 + Panasonic X920 + GoPro Hero 11 Black

Desktop: MB: MSI B450M MORTAR TITANIUM, CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700X, RAM: G'Skill 16 GB DDR4@3200, Graphics card: MSI RX6600 8GB, SSD: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB (NVMe, OS), Samsung 870 Evo, HDD WD 4TB, HDD Toshiba 4TB, OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2

NLE: Vegas Pro [Edit] 11, 12, 13, 15, 17, 18, 19

fr0sty wrote on 4/28/2019, 11:14 AM

Often times, these game ready drivers are optimized for games in such a way that breaks compatibility with other things. NVidia offers creator ready drivers now, but those have not passed windows driver certification so they're not recommended for use with Pro software in a production environment yet. Best practice is to find a working driver and stick with it. Unlike games, it is rare for driver updates to provide any meaningful performance boosts to video decoding/rendering.

It's a difficult line to walk when you are using your PC for gaming as well... where a driver update can mean the difference between your favorite not game working at all, working poorly, or running smoothly.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

GotVideographer wrote on 8/14/2019, 6:24 AM

Did I miss it or does anyone else, blow away everything in the vegas "temp" directory on a regular basis? Mine is here(c:\users\videographer\appdata\local\vegas pro\16.0) and when things go nuts.

AVsupport wrote on 8/15/2019, 12:13 AM

Can confirm out-of-RAM Crashathon when using nVidia Creator drivers, rendering on nVidia, with iGPU and IntelQSV disabled.

During the render process, system RAM gradually got used up from 45% to 100%-crash:

Disabling Dynamic RAM fixed the issue for me in this instance.

my current Win10/64 system (latest drivers, water cooled) :

Intel Coffee Lake i5 Hexacore (unlocked, but not overclocked) 4.0 GHz on Z370 chipset board,

32GB (4x8GB Corsair Dual Channel DDR4-2133) XMP-3000 RAM,

Intel 600series 512GB M.2 SSD system drive running Win10/64 home automatic driver updates,

Crucial BX500 1TB EDIT 3D NAND SATA 2.5-inch SSD

2x 4TB 7200RPM NAS HGST data drive,

Intel HD630 iGPU - currently disabled in Bios,

nVidia GTX1060 6GB, always on latest [creator] drivers. nVidia HW acceleration enabled.

main screen 4K/50p 1ms scaled @175%, second screen 1920x1080/50p 1ms.

SushiGuy wrote on 9/14/2019, 7:36 PM

Render crashes fixed by setting Dynamic RAM Preview max (MB) to zero 0.
    Software: Vegas Movie Studio 16 Suite (Platinum)
    System: Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, HP tower
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB DDR5 low profile

Mark-Kuzio wrote on 7/5/2020, 12:32 PM

Can anyone tell me what the best setting is for maximun number of rendering threads? thanks...

Mark-Kuzio wrote on 7/5/2020, 12:35 PM

I'm getting constant 'not responding' notices with simple editing...I have a Geforce GTX 1660 i9. Maybe Vegas was a mistake...this is getting ridiculous.