Vegas from Sony to now

phil-d wrote on 2/20/2024, 8:41 AM

I've been using Vegas since it was Sony owned and up to version 20. I've spent money having to upgrade along the way. Each new version seemed to have new bugs. The latest bug discovered was after not using it for a little while, firing it up and finding it wouldn't open and did nothing, so had to Google and download a fix to get it working again (something to do with online validation). Just par for the course with Vegas.

Performance has never improved, and random crashes have been something to live with with all versions.

On starting a new Vegas project recently after getting a new camera I've just become more confused about project settings and dealing with 10 bit full-range footage along with V-Log. I've also found that effects and transitions seem limited compared to all the fun things I've become used to seeing online in videos on YouTube. So I decided to try something new in the form of Davinci Resolve and take the hit on learning a new package to see if things could be better.

Wow, what a difference. Yes there is a learning curve, but nowhere as steep as Vegas. Following tutorials and I'm finding colour grading much easier with much better results. V-Log and full-range footage is handled automatically and I no longer need to add Studio to computer levels or vice versa or wonder why my output has suddenly shifted from one to the other. The colour managed project settings has V-Log footage automatically recognized and transformed, and I can see lots of fun to be had following online tutorials for all sorts of brilliant effects I didn't think was possible using software at home. The user interface is more modern and intuitive and it performs much better.

The biggest differences, 1) it hasn't crashed once in using it! Vegas would always crash at least once per session if not more, but Resolve has been rock solid. 2) It's free, getting most of the functionality of the paid version. 3) Upgrading to Studio gives the owner a lifetime of updates, no more having to pay to upgrade because MAGIX has decided to increment the main version number and stop fixing bugs on prior versions. 4) Many more tutorials online for Resolve and its used professionally for many top block busting films and TV programs and dramas.

Sorry MAGIX, but I'm never coming back and wish I jumped shipped ages ago, but just felt 'better the devil you know' and I didn't want to start learning how to use a whole new editor, how many others think the same?

Comments

vkmast wrote on 2/20/2024, 8:51 AM

Sorry Matrox, but I'm never coming back 

I wonder what "Matrox" has to do with this?

Anyway, best wishes.

phil-d wrote on 2/20/2024, 8:59 AM

MAGIX, my mistake.

RogerS wrote on 2/20/2024, 9:23 AM

VEGAS doesn't require studio to computer levels filters after version 18.

It also has settings to interpret V-log (either LUTs in the color grading panel or IDTs as part of ACES in 32-bit full mode).

It shouldn't crash but it sounds like it does a lot for you. Glad you found a tool that works for you, I use both myself (though mainly VEGAS).

Custom PC (2022) Intel i5-13600K with UHD 770 iGPU with latest driver, MSI z690 Tomahawk motherboard, 64GB Corsair DDR5 5200 ram, NVIDIA 2080 Super (8GB) with latest studio driver, 2TB Hynix P41 SSD and 2TB Samsung 980 Pro cache drive, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

Dell XPS 15 laptop (2017) 32GB ram, NVIDIA 1050 (4GB) with latest studio driver, Intel i7-7700HQ with Intel 630 iGPU (latest available driver), dual internal SSD (1TB; 1TB), Windows 10 64 bit

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208
VEGAS Pro 22.93

Try the
VEGAS 4K "sample project" benchmark (works with VP 16+): https://forms.gle/ypyrrbUghEiaf2aC7
VEGAS Pro 20 "Ad" benchmark (works with VP 20+): https://forms.gle/eErJTR87K2bbJc4Q7

phil-d wrote on 2/20/2024, 9:46 AM

VEGAS doesn't require studio to computer levels filters after version 18.

It also has settings to interpret V-log (either LUTs in the color grading panel or IDTs as part of ACES in 32-bit full mode).

It shouldn't crash but it sounds like it does a lot for you. Glad you found a tool that works for you, I use both myself (though mainly VEGAS).

Vegas shouldn't crash, we can all agree about that. However it's always crashed at random for me, doesn't matter what PC I had at the time, what operating system or graphics card I had, or where the files were coming from, it would crash at some point during an edit, maybe once, maybe a few times, or just plain refuses to start without an update as it did recently! I've sent hundreds of crash reports from the crash dialogue, nothing improved over time or from version to version. So to get through a whole project with Resolve and not a single crash, that stands out.

Reyfox wrote on 2/20/2024, 12:08 PM

Like several other Vegas users here, I too own Resolve Studio. I've had it for a few years now along with the never used, Speed Editor.

Oh, there have been some bumps along the DR way. Just read the forum. Nothing is bug/crash free. But I myself didn't find learning Resolve easy at all. Vegas is a natural for me. I can edit faster on the timeline with it than Resolve. But yes, Resolve does have some really great features, and performance. But when I had to Google how to render, to find out that the little "rocket" was the way, yeah...

But I look at the video software as tools. Some work better doing different things than others. Pliers work, but a box wrench might be better. So I use what makes my life easier.

Newbie😁

Vegas Pro 22 (VP18-21 also installed)

Win 11 Pro always updated

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 cores / 32 threads

32GB DDR4 3200

Sapphire RX6700XT 12GB Driver: 22.5.1, testing 24.7.1

Gigabyte X570 Elite Motherboard

fr0sty wrote on 2/20/2024, 6:17 PM

I'm failing to see the point here other than to blow off steam, which goes against the community standards. You aren't asking for help, which is the purpose of this forum. I'll leave the thread open for now unless another mod agrees with me, but don't be surprised if it gets closed.

It sounds more to me like you don't know what you are doing, I shoot VLOG exclusively and VEGAS works just fine for it. You just have to know how to set up view transforms. Set the project settings to 32 bit full range, right click on the media in your project media pool and select properties, then set the color space to VLOG/VGamut. Then your VLOG will be transformed to look correct and you can color grade it from there to your liking. To edit VLOG into HDR, do the above but then enable HDR10 or HLG mode in project settings.

32 bit floating point requires a ton of processing power (it's even more accurate than what Resolve uses, IIRC), so you'll want to use proxies when editing in that mode. To make those, right click on your media in the project media pool and select "create video proxy", then when the proxy is done being generated, set the preview quality to "preview" or "draft".

Had you bothered to ask instead of just coming in here complaining and preaching about how much you like competing software, you might have gotten somewhere with it.

As for performance, it has improved by leaps and bounds since Sony owned it. You're looking back with rose-tinted glasses. Sony didn't have GPU encoding or decoding for AVC/HEVC, it didn't support NVENC/VCE/QSV, it didn't support HDR, it didn't have proper color grading or even LUT support, it didn't have AI tools for everything from automatic masking to colorization, style transfer, upscaling, etc., the VST support sucked... I could fill a page with all the new features and performance improvements that have been added since Sony owned it.

Stability is definitely a weak point for it, and a lot of that can be traced back to the Sony days and even before then back in the Sonic Foundry days, old bugs in 20+ year old code that isn't adaptable well to adding new features have created a ton of headaches for the team over the past several years. The amount of progress a handful of people have made since 2016 is amazing.

Also, up until now, there was as few as 6 people working on VEGAS total... however, Magix recently devoted a much, much larger team to the VEGAS project, and that team is currently working on rewriting the VEGAS video engine from the ground up. There are entire teams now devoted to fixing bugs and adding new features. As part of the beta testing crew, I'm part of the folks bug testing these features, and I can promise you the performance gains are very real... and even we have only seen part of the full upgrade they are rolling out.

I'm not here to try to get you to reconsider leaving for Resolve... use whatever works for you... but I'm also not going to sit here and let you spread inaccuracies about the state of VEGAS. Go back and use VEGAS 13 with modern media, then try it again on the latest build of VEGAS 21. It's a night and day difference. Everything from stability to speed has dramatically improved.

Last changed by fr0sty on 2/20/2024, 6:23 PM, changed a total of 6 times.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

lan-mLMC wrote on 2/20/2024, 6:19 PM

Hmmm, and there are performance problems. Recently, I have always seen Vegas users complain that their 4K footages can be playbacked & edited smoothly in Capcut (free) without any proxy, but it is very lagging in Vegas.

I know, from the developer's point of view, it is very difficult to update Vegas because its code base is very old and difficult to maintain.

However, the truth of this world is that we should look at problems from the user's point of view. Most users don't care about the difficulty of developers' development, they only choose or eliminate a tool according to the actual performance of the program.

So, basically, I think that Magix/Vegas' decision makers should have a sense of crisis early and try all kinds of reform and innovation measures, which will be better than now anyway. The competitive situation in NLE has long been far more severe than they know.

Of course, this is just a personal opinion, and it is not necessarily correct.

JJKizak wrote on 2/20/2024, 6:23 PM

I find it a miracle that anything works well in Windows.

JJK

phil-d wrote on 2/21/2024, 2:52 AM

I'm failing to see the point here other than to blow off steam, which goes against the community standards. You aren't asking for help, which is the purpose of this forum. I'll leave the thread open for now unless another mod agrees with me, but don't be surprised if it gets closed.

It sounds more to me like you don't know what you are doing, I shoot VLOG exclusively and VEGAS works just fine for it. You just have to know how to set up view transforms. Set the project settings to 32 bit full range, right click on the media in your project media pool and select properties, then set the color space to VLOG/VGamut. Then your VLOG will be transformed to look correct and you can color grade it from there to your liking. To edit VLOG into HDR, do the above but then enable HDR10 or HLG mode in project settings.

32 bit floating point requires a ton of processing power (it's even more accurate than what Resolve uses, IIRC), so you'll want to use proxies when editing in that mode. To make those, right click on your media in the project media pool and select "create video proxy", then when the proxy is done being generated, set the preview quality to "preview" or "draft".

Had you bothered to ask instead of just coming in here complaining and preaching about how much you like competing software, you might have gotten somewhere with it.

I have asked for help and been active in this forum over the years. I am annoyed with myself because I've stuck with Vegas due to not wanting to learn a different program, and upgraded and paid for several versions over the years.

I didn't know what I was doing with V-Log, that much is true, I wanted to learn, we all start from somewhere. I Googled Vegas and V-Log and got a dozen different answers. The properties dialog is confusing, there are changes needed for inputs and outputs and view transforms, often spread across different dialog's as rendering needs other settings checked. The main properties dialog and preferences settings hasn't ever changed since Sony days, its just got added to, the UI is dated and simply is too complicated without any obvious best setting defaults to start from. I change one thing and what I see on my preview completely changes (colour and contrast). Trying to mix different footage was confusing. I thought if I have to relearn in order to know how to deal with V-Log, I might as well try a different editor altogether.

Resolve was easy to get set up using their automatic colour space option, I did have to Google and watch some YouTube videos but it was a lot easier and mixed footage worked perfectly. The YouTube videos on Resolve all seem to be done by professionals who use it for actual TV or film work, Google help with Vegas and you get someone who calls their viewers 'bro' showing you something from their back bedroom. I then started to use other aspects of colour grading and it was so much easier and more intuitive. Adding various filters (nodes) was less clicks than adding filters in Vegas which is a pain with the filters UI that opens over the top and having to remember to click 'Add' before OK!

Yes 32 bit float operations are CPU intensive, but I've gone from using a single core Pentium processor with clock rate measure in the hundreds of MHz in the early days of Sony Vegas up to an Intel processor with 12 physical cores, 20 logical cores and running >4GHz, yet Vegas performance hasn't improved. Okay granted we are working with bigger resolutions now, but we don't actually work with those resolutions in Vegas, we have to dial everything to the lowest resolution on the timeline and preview to make it work, plus use low quality low bit-rate proxies. To be fair Resolve also struggles unless the timeline resolution is turned down, but still outperforms Vegas considerably and the timeline can run at real time speeds without resulting to really poor quality proxies or preview.

The fact I've gone hours and not had a single crash from Resolve, I couldn't say the same for Vegas, where after every change I'm doing a Control+S to save the change just in case.

I have supported Vegas with hard cash, but they haven't supported me or given me a better product, and they just keep asking me for more money (nag screens!) to upgrade to the next version whilst the version I'm on is abandoned. Sorry, no more easy money from me.

phil-d wrote on 2/21/2024, 3:00 AM

Hmmm, and there are performance problems. Recently, I have always seen Vegas users complain that their 4K footages can be playbacked smoothly in Capcut (free) without any proxy, but it is very lagging in Vegas.

Indeed. My 4K footage from my camera plays back on my PC perfectly, I can watch it at 4K in media player full size and it doesn't skip a frame, playing 4K media on even a modest PCs is easy, we do it all the time from YouTube and streaming services, so there should be no issue playing it in Vegas unless a lot of effects or filters need processing. Yet drag a 4K clip into Vegas and try and preview it having done nothing to it, and does it play okay, no it doesn't, why not? If the PC can play it fine otherwise, why not Vegas in its tiny preview window? Vegas and people here blame the poor performance on the demands of 4K resolutions, but that isn't the problem when you can't even play the clip having done nothing to it in Vegas, its the software.

bitman wrote on 2/21/2024, 3:22 AM

@Reyfox nails it completely for me, I feel just the same.

I'll just add this: every time I start a new project, I ask myself start in Vegas or Resolve studio?

Nah, I just fire up Vegas and have fun. I do not know why, but Vegas is more organic and fun to use, Resolve just feels too dry, has a too rigid layout and too professional (in the negative sense) to my taste (I am not talking about a learning curve, nor complexity, just the fun factor).

If I miss something in Vegas or I need some efficiency boost, I just use, add, or write a script to help with the editing, the advanced support of scripting is one of Vegas gems which is often forgotten and not highlighted enough (looking at you - the Magix marketing machine).

Crashes to the desktop I would say none, but 'hangs' for sure, they happen sometimes, I just save often, so what do you lose, 5 or 10 minutes of work?...

Basically my only gripe with Vegas is they should have a more frequent/periodic update delivery, even when that would mean fewer bug fixes and fewer new features. Or deliver public beta's. The more you wait for a delivery, the more bugs are fixed (OK good), but the chance to have regression bugs also increases, and if you have to wait for a few months to have the regression bugs fixed, that is not a good thing.

APPS: VIDEO: VP 365 (22 build 93, 21 - build 315), VP 365 20, VP 19 post (latest build -651), (uninstalled VP 12,13,14,15,16 Suite,17, VP18 post), Vegasaur, a lot of NEWBLUE plugins, Mercalli 6.0, Respeedr, Vasco Da Gamma 16 HDpro XXL, Boris Continuum 2024, Davinci Resolve Studio 18, SOUND: RX 10 advanced Audio Editor, Sound Forge Pro 17, Spectral Layers Pro 10, Audacity, FOTO: Zoner, DXO, Luminar, Topaz...

• CPU: i9-13900K (upgraded my former CPU i9-12900K), Air Cooler: Noctua NH-D15s
  • RAM: DDR5 Corsair 64GB (5600-40 Vengeance)
  • Graphics card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3090 TUF OC GAMING (24GB) 
  • Monitor: LG 38 inch ultra-wide (21x9) - Resolution: 3840x1600
  • C-drive: Corsair MP600 PRO XT NVMe SSD 4TB (PCIe Gen. 4)
  • Video drives: Samsung NVMe SSD 2TB (980 pro and 970 EVO plus) each 2TB
  • Mass Data storage & Backup: WD gold 6TB + WD Yellow 4TB
  • MOBO: Gigabyte Z690 AORUS MASTER
  • PSU: Corsair HX1500i, Case: Fractal Design Define 7 (PCGH edition)
  • Misc.: Logitech G915, Evoluent Vertical Mouse, shuttlePROv2

Adis-a wrote on 2/21/2024, 9:13 AM

I have asked for help and been active in this forum over the years. I am annoyed with myself because I've stuck with Vegas due to not wanting to learn a different program, and upgraded and paid for several versions over the years.

I didn't know what I was doing with V-Log, that much is true, I wanted to learn, we all start from somewhere. I Googled Vegas and V-Log and got a dozen different answers. The properties dialog is confusing, there are changes needed for inputs and outputs and view transforms, often spread across different dialog's as rendering needs other settings checked. The main properties dialog and preferences settings hasn't ever changed since Sony days, its just got added to, the UI is dated and simply is too complicated without any obvious best setting defaults to start from. I change one thing and what I see on my preview completely changes (colour and contrast). Trying to mix different footage was confusing. I thought if I have to relearn in order to know how to deal with V-Log, I might as well try a different editor altogether.

Resolve was easy to get set up using their automatic colour space option, I did have to Google and watch some YouTube videos but it was a lot easier and mixed footage worked perfectly. The YouTube videos on Resolve all seem to be done by professionals who use it for actual TV or film work, Google help with Vegas and you get someone who calls their viewers 'bro' showing you something from their back bedroom. I then started to use other aspects of colour grading and it was so much easier and more intuitive. Adding various filters (nodes) was less clicks than adding filters in Vegas which is a pain with the filters UI that opens over the top and having to remember to click 'Add' before OK!

Yes 32 bit float operations are CPU intensive, but I've gone from using a single core Pentium processor with clock rate measure in the hundreds of MHz in the early days of Sony Vegas up to an Intel processor with 12 physical cores, 20 logical cores and running >4GHz, yet Vegas performance hasn't improved. Okay granted we are working with bigger resolutions now, but we don't actually work with those resolutions in Vegas, we have to dial everything to the lowest resolution on the timeline and preview to make it work, plus use low quality low bit-rate proxies. To be fair Resolve also struggles unless the timeline resolution is turned down, but still outperforms Vegas considerably and the timeline can run at real time speeds without resulting to really poor quality proxies or preview.

The fact I've gone hours and not had a single crash from Resolve, I couldn't say the same for Vegas, where after every change I'm doing a Control+S to save the change just in case.

I have supported Vegas with hard cash, but they haven't supported me or given me a better product, and they just keep asking me for more money (nag screens!) to upgrade to the next version whilst the version I'm on is abandoned. Sorry, no more easy money from me.

@phil-d

Probably a stupid question, of course you did, but purely out of curiosity: did you read the manual?

(...)I have supported Vegas with hard cash(...)

What, you were giving money for nothing in return? Don't believe that...

Adis-a wrote on 2/21/2024, 9:17 AM

Hmmm, and there are performance problems. Recently, I have always seen Vegas users complain that their 4K footages can be playbacked smoothly in Capcut (free) without any proxy, but it is very lagging in Vegas.

I know, from the developer's point of view, it is very difficult to update Vegas because its code base is very old and difficult to maintain.

However, the truth of this world is that we should look at problems from the user's point of view. Most users don't care about the difficulty of developers' development, they only choose or eliminate a tool according to the actual performance of the program.

So, basically, I think that Magix/Vegas' decision makers should have a sense of crisis early and try all kinds of reform and innovation measures, which will be better than now anyway. The competitive situation in NLE has long been far more severe than they know.

Of course, this is just a personal opinion, and it is not necessarily correct.

@lan-mLMC

You don't need Vegas or Capcut for smooth playback.. Use MPC instead.

phil-d wrote on 2/21/2024, 10:00 AM

If you are editing and want to check how those edits flow, see if the transitions are of a suitable type, is the cut in the right place and is it making sense or is that B roll footage shown for far too long or not long enough, and so on, you absolutely need smooth playback in the editor, I can't be alone in thinking that!

Adis-a wrote on 2/21/2024, 12:42 PM

If you are editing and want to check how those edits flow, see if the transitions are of a suitable type, is the cut in the right place and is it making sense or is that B roll footage shown for far too long or not long enough, and so on, you absolutely need smooth playback in the editor, I can't be alone in thinking that!

Who's talking about editing etc.? Guy wants smotoh playback.

Btw, did you read the manual? Also, would you be able to export me some DPX image sequence for DCDM out of Cupcut?

Thanks!

BruceUSA wrote on 2/21/2024, 1:48 PM

I will share my opinion about Vegas and Resolve. I don't have any complain about Vegas stability. VP20 is my latest version. I now only use Vegas for custom slideshow project. Everything else is edit in Resolve. With all the die hard Vegas fan boys will continue argues about how great Vegas performance are. But in contrast, there is no comparison when its come to TL performance in Vegas/Resolve. Vegas Pro needs a complete re-write to be able to complete with modern NLE.

Intel i7 12700k @5.2Ghz all P Cores, 5.3@ 6 Core, Turbo boost 3 Cores @5.4Ghz. 4.1Ghz All E Cores.                                          

MSI Z690 MPG Edge DDR5 Wifi                                                     

TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 32GB DDR5 -6200                     

Samsung 980 Pro x4 Nvme .M2 1tb Pcie Gen 4                                     

ASRock RX 6900XT Phantom 16GB                                                        

PSU Eva Supernova G2 1300w                                                     

Black Ice GTX 480mm radiator top mount push/pull                    

MCP35X dual pump w/ dual pump housing.                                

Corsair RGB water block. RGB Fan thru out                           

Phanteks Enthoo full tower

Windows 11 Pro

Steve_Rhoden wrote on 2/21/2024, 2:50 PM

Yeah... This thread needs to be closed now. These rantings are pointless and going nowhere. This is not what this user forum is for nor abides by.

BruceUSA wrote on 2/21/2024, 3:03 PM

Yeah sure. Close this thread and this forum ALL together because there is no point of keeping it open to allow only positive comments. Negative comments or thread not allowed.

Last changed by BruceUSA on 2/21/2024, 3:04 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Intel i7 12700k @5.2Ghz all P Cores, 5.3@ 6 Core, Turbo boost 3 Cores @5.4Ghz. 4.1Ghz All E Cores.                                          

MSI Z690 MPG Edge DDR5 Wifi                                                     

TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 32GB DDR5 -6200                     

Samsung 980 Pro x4 Nvme .M2 1tb Pcie Gen 4                                     

ASRock RX 6900XT Phantom 16GB                                                        

PSU Eva Supernova G2 1300w                                                     

Black Ice GTX 480mm radiator top mount push/pull                    

MCP35X dual pump w/ dual pump housing.                                

Corsair RGB water block. RGB Fan thru out                           

Phanteks Enthoo full tower

Windows 11 Pro

VEGASDerek wrote on 2/21/2024, 3:31 PM

Ok...please...let's all cool off a bit here. I am sorry to hear about phil-d's issues. VP20 was created before Magix changed course and appropriately provided the badly needed engineering resources to the VEGAS team. Significant rewrites are now in progress and significant progress has been made on stability. We do realize for many people, it is too late and they have decided to leave, which is unfortunate. I can tell you that we are now in a much stronger position as development team and have not had this many engineers working on VEGAS since VEGAS Pro 12 released in 2012. We have some extremely talented people working now to solve these long standing issues.

Steve_Rhoden wrote on 2/21/2024, 4:01 PM

@VEGASDerek The vast improvements and added features you guys have made to Vegas from 2013 till now is truly commendable.... Can just imagine what's around the corner with this new development engineering phase you guys are currently undergoing.

set wrote on 2/21/2024, 4:18 PM

Keep going @VEGASDerek 💪. Even though it is more challenging, you keep going.

I'm currently using multiple editors now, and I also amazed with the Vegas' recent developments.

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
Bandung, West Java, Indonesia (UTC+7 Time Area)

Personal FB | Personal IG | Personal YT Channel
Chungs Video FB | Chungs Video IG | Chungs Video YT Channel
Personal Portfolios YouTube Playlist
Pond5 page: My Stock Footage of Bandung city

System 5-2021:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Video Card1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2127 (Feb 1 2024 Release date))
Video Card2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (Driver Version 551.23 Studio Driver (Jan 24 2024 Release Date))
RAM: 32.0 GB
Drive OS: SSD 240GB
Drive Working: NVMe 1TB
Drive Storage: 4TB+2TB

System 2-2018:
ASUS ROG Strix Hero II GL504GM Gaming Laptop
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 8750H CPU @2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Video Card 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2111)
Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM (Driver Version 537.58)
RAM: 16GB
Storage: M.2 NVMe PCIe 256GB SSD & 2.5" 5400rpm 1TB SSHD

* I don't work for VEGAS Creative Software Team. I'm just Voluntary Moderator in this forum.

fr0sty wrote on 2/22/2024, 1:10 AM

You never asked here, or you would have had your question answered within a day.

I detailed exactly what you have to do in my post... it's literally a 3 step process... There's actually 2 ways you can go about it (another great thing about VEGAS, many paths to the same solution).

Path 1 (you will notice better playback performance using this method. I find you can color grade better with method 2, but you'll have to do less configuring when using mixed media this way):

In a default 8 bit (legacy) project:

1. Import VLOG footage. Add to timeline.

2. Get a VLOG to Rec709 LUT, panasonic has some on their website (link here: https://na.panasonic.com/us/resource-center/v-log-v-709-3d-lut).

If using the Micro 4/3 versions of Panasonic's VLOG cameras, you may need to get a VLOG-L to Rec709 LUT.

3. Open the Color Grading Panel, and in the "input" tab, apply that LUT.

Done... that's it.

Or, if you want to utilize the full dynamic range and 10 bit goodness of that file:

Path 2

1. Import VLOG footage. Add to timeline.

2. Set project settings to 32 bit (full range)

3. Right click on the file in project media, select properties. Set color space to VLOG/VGamut.

Here's another useful tip... you can still enjoy the benefits of 32 bit mode, but the performance of 8 bit mode... do all your editing in 8 bit mode, then when you are done cutting, change the project settings to 32 bit mode. Then do the steps I outline in Path 2 above, and color the footage to your liking from there.

A 3 step process, and you're off. It isn't rocket science. There are lots of pro tutorials out there for VEGAS, but youtube is also flooded with the gamers (most of who pirate the software) posting tutorials about how to do different things... and yes, the quality of these tutorials is lacking, and often full of misinformation (like "record your gameplay video at 200fps! It'll make it look smoother when you render it out of VEGAS at 60fps!"), but there isn't much that can be done about that. VEGAS now comes with VEGAS Hub, which has a bunch of tutorials built right into it.

I would like to see better automatic detection of color space in VEGAS, but it's by far not a deal breaker for me. The workflow speed at which I can edit on a VEGAS timeline vs. the workflow found in competing apps, is unrivaled. Once the new video engine rewrite is complete, the performance issues will be a thing of the past as well... But for now I proxy. The good thing about VEGAS' proxy engine, they can be switched on and off in an instant, all you have to do is change the preview window quality from "preview" to "good" or "best" and you're now looking at the original media, not the proxy. I do this when coloring. I cut in "preview" quality, then go to "best" to color, since I don't need smooth playback in order to do my coloring in 32 bit mode. I just skip around the timeline scene by scene as needed and color it while paused.

As Derek said, their team has grown significantly recently, and the fruits of that extra labor will start to become much more apparent as future updates start rolling out.

Last changed by fr0sty on 2/22/2024, 5:57 AM, changed a total of 8 times.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

phil-d wrote on 2/22/2024, 6:06 AM

Ok...please...let's all cool off a bit here. I am sorry to hear about phil-d's issues. VP20 was created before Magix changed course and appropriately provided the badly needed engineering resources to the VEGAS team. Significant rewrites are now in progress and significant progress has been made on stability. We do realize for many people, it is too late and they have decided to leave, which is unfortunate. I can tell you that we are now in a much stronger position as development team and have not had this many engineers working on VEGAS since VEGAS Pro 12 released in 2012. We have some extremely talented people working now to solve these long standing issues.

Thank you for the update and this is the first I've heard of it, it would have been good to have received some information by email or via the "ad service" within Vegas and perhaps I might have stuck with it, although it might have needed in my case a heavily discounted or free upgrade to these better versions. I would also add not wishing to be negative but just stating the facts, we've heard the same things before. The sale of Vegas from Sony to yourselves was met with the same PR of extra investment and all the issues will be resolved and stick with us we will fix it all, and here we are with another announcement saying the same thing again some years later.

Good luck, perhaps one day I will retest the waters.

phil-d wrote on 2/22/2024, 6:39 AM
You never asked here, or you would have had your question answered within a day.

I detailed exactly what you have to do in my post... it's literally a 3 step process... There's actually 2 ways you can go about it (another great thing about VEGAS, many paths to the same solution).

Path 1 (you will notice better playback performance using this method. I find you can color grade better with method 2, but you'll have to do less configuring when using mixed media this way):

In a default 8 bit (legacy) project..

Thank you for your reply. I had got V-Log footage working, but there were still the complexities of color spaces, view transforms, 3 different project modes (8-bit, 32 bit Video and 32 full). V-Log by default is full range, the full range setting changes the gamma setting for some reason messing other things up, then a crash.... I just had enough.

You've summed up the problem with Vegas at the start of your reply. Why on earth is there even an 8 bit legacy setting required in 2024 when most of us are now using 64 bit multi-core processors and accelerated codecs in hardware! Is there an 8 bit legacy setting required to be engaged on any other editing software in order to make it bearable to use? Why a 32-bit video and a 32-bit full range option? None of those settings are beginner friendly or intuitive.

The market for video editing has shifted 180 degree's in the last decade, the vast majority of potential customers are no longer trained video editors, or joining as apprentices at TV studios with on the job training where they will learn all about Rec709 and video levels, they are now people in their back bedrooms creating content for YouTube that want to spend no more than a couple of hours with an online tutorial on how to get started with an editing package then learn the rest as they go, this is where Vegas has lost market share with all its legacy technicalities. I would sum up Vegas as being like a very old temperamental car that some people love getting dirty fixing, but others have no interest in going under the bonnet and just want a car they can get in and drive. Yes there is Magix Movie studio that is a stripped down easy to use editor, but if you want to do a bit more, there are much better options out there now that appeal to a wide audience that come with more modern UI's, better performing and can be used fairly easily by the layman even though they are fully fledged professional tools used within the film and TV industry.