Comments

vkmast wrote on 5/18/2020, 4:42 PM

If you don't upgrade now to 17, at least you do not need to feel bad in case the upgrade to 18 becomes available too soon.

walter-i. wrote on 5/18/2020, 4:50 PM

If you haven't already, you can use the trial version for a month (there are some restrictions).

Camcorder: Pana HDC SD909, Sony FDR-AX53
Hardware: CPU i9-9900KS 4GHz, 32 GB Ram, GTX 1660 SUPER, ASUS TUF Z390-PLUS Gaming, SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2, SSD 860 EVO Series 1TB, Toshiba 3TB SATA, WIN 10 Pro
NLE: Vegas Pro11-15+17, Heroglyph4, RespeedR

BobMoyer wrote on 5/18/2020, 6:50 PM

Towards the end of Version 16, there was an offer to buy 16 now and get a free upgrade to 17 when it comes out....it might be prudent to wait a little longer before committing to a purchase.

Steve_Rhoden wrote on 5/18/2020, 6:50 PM

Well, if you are not in an editing emergency, i would kinda recommend waiting on Vegas Pro 18.

john_dennis wrote on 5/18/2020, 8:23 PM

That decision should be based on:

  • what NLE you're running now
  • What type of source media you're have
  • what you want to do with your media
  • how you wish to deliver it

I like 17 enough that I don't spend a lot of time thinking about what might be in 18. I've gotten AMD GPU decode since I bought 17. I still expect Capture to work before the last update to 17, though it's more or less a "straw man" for me since I'm getting it done with OBS.

adimatis wrote on 5/19/2020, 12:44 AM

Wait for v18 I'd say. I think a number of areas will be much improved.

vkmast wrote on 5/19/2020, 1:28 AM

That probably goes for v.19 as well.

Fran.m wrote on 5/19/2020, 2:20 AM

Thanks for all answers, I am not in a hurry,so I will wait for version 18.

3StarAce wrote on 7/8/2020, 10:46 PM

Hi,

I was thinking to upgrade to Vegas Pro 17, but maybe in August will come a new version 18. Do you think is better wait for 18 at this time of the year?

I see currently their is an offer if you buy 17 you get 18 free. Hopefully, I qualify since I bought 17 suite recently and added vegas post today. If you have not yet purchased it now is the time. I have to see if I qualify, figers crossed.

vkmast wrote on 7/9/2020, 4:50 AM

@3StarAce you need to contact MAGIX Sales to find out. Generally, see this comment.

john-brown wrote on 7/9/2020, 7:43 AM

For as long as I can remember, Magix has had a policy (unwritten) that if you purchased a version within 30 days of the release of a new version, they would give you the new version upon request. This offer just formalizes that. Magix has had the same type of offer for Samplitude.

This offer also applies to those who have an older version, not Vegas 17. Strangely, I have seen some people pay for the upgrade even though they already have the same version, thinking that they were getting something more than the next version. For those who have 17, wait.

For those with 16 and earlier and are thinking of upgrading, as was suggested in this forum, try out Vegas 17 first. If it works and you have no problems, then lock it in by purchasing it (or upgrading) before the release of 18. You will then have a fully patched version 17 with most of the bugs gone. Unless you like playing with a program and discovering bugs, then do not update to 18 when it becomes available. Wait for about 6 months until the dust has settled and at least a couple of patches have been issued and users on the forum say that it works.

For the future, unless version 19 has something that you urgently need, wait until it's offered with a free upgrade to version 20. Repeat the above. This gets you on a 2-year cycle instead of paying every year, and you get every version fully patched, avoiding most of the bugs with initial releases.

Editor_101 wrote on 7/10/2020, 7:51 PM

The offer to buy 17 and get 18 is already on.

Unfortunately, there is no information on what was changed in v18.