Comments

K-Decisive wrote on 5/27/2016, 6:49 AM
Out of curiosity, I downloaded the trial of Magix just to check it out. One thing of note is that it has a very stable implementation of MOV/ Prores for play back. I tested prores, DNXHD, cineform and DNX HQ. HQ was the only one it could not play back. Honestly, if they took that chuck of code and dropped it into Vegas I would buy it in half a second and be happier than a P.I.S.......

Some other things to note, Magix has a lot of functionality and feel of vegas. ( example bumping clips auto cross fades ). There isn't a limit on audio tracks either ( I thought I saw that some where ). looks like it goes up to something like 96 tracks. The down sides I saw very very slow rendering in some cases and it only import/exports it's own EDL format. But a utility could be easily written around it to translate to vegas / Resolve /FC/ Prem/ etc.
TeetimeNC wrote on 5/27/2016, 7:30 AM
This list already contains almost everything I have ever thought of for Vegas... and more. Thanks Nick for your very complete and detailed additions.

If I were a Vegas program manager I might feel a bit overwhelmed, which leads me to this suggestion. I use Smugmug, and they have a feature voting system that I have always thought would be great for Vegas. It works like this: each registered user gets a fixed number of votes. Each "vote" can be used to post a new feature request, or to vote for one already posted. In their case it is a lifetime number, but I think it would make more sense to have it reset every year. What this does is force every user to priortize their most important needs, and for the most part, requests are consolidated. But there is a mechanism for users to flag duplicate requests and their admin then merges those. Oh, also, this type of system requires a good search capability so you can easily determine if your item has already been suggested so you can vote it up.

That behind me, one little thing that has always annoyed me about Vegas is having to manually set the "Dynamic Ram Preview Max". Why is this? Shouldn't Vegas just manage this? Further, Vegas seems to do a poor job releasing resources back to the system. In Vegas 12, I often have to go to Task Manager and kill Vegas after I have exited it.

Jerry
http://www.takeonesolutions.com
Photography • Video
vkmast wrote on 5/27/2016, 7:38 AM
>>>--- the messy and inaccurate ctrl + drag the clip to increase/decrease velocity<<<
peak,
from the year of 2008, Set Event Velocity Envelopes w/Numbers.
DanH wrote on 5/27/2016, 7:49 AM
Support for hires displays (icons, resizable UI, etc.)
PeterWright wrote on 5/27/2016, 8:04 AM
Hi Jerry, there’s a lot of good sense there – I think something like this would also help MAGIX with their ”triage” of all the patients/feature requests arriving at Casualty Ward.
I’ve read several things that make me think MAGIX “gets it” regarding the importance of communication with the users of its products – that’s been good follow up news to the Big news, which rocked me like a wagonwheel!

p.s. I was thinking of names.

MAGIXVegas puts the Owner first

but

VegasMAGIX says it better.
wwjd wrote on 5/27/2016, 8:14 AM
As long as they don't call it EDITY McEDITFACE
Barry W. Hull wrote on 5/27/2016, 8:15 AM
What Nick and Grazie said...

... and any chance to get Vegas to take full advantage of a Quadro K5000?
JJKizak wrote on 5/27/2016, 8:28 AM
I think you all are overwhelming the Magix guy.
JJK
VEGAS_EricD wrote on 5/27/2016, 9:04 AM
overwhelming...in a positive way.

Thank you for all the kind words, feature requests, and feedback. We are excited to get all of it sorted and begin working on this project.
set wrote on 5/27/2016, 10:23 AM
Hi Eric,
It's quite a lot of requests :)

I also forwarding request from one member in Sony Vegas editors Facebook Group:

"GPU rendering acceleration support and preview scrubbing for Vegas Pro 14"

My more list:
Upgrade the 'Project Media' tab, love to be able to preview the video from thumbnail view only, just like I saw on DaVinci Resolve's Media Management tab's thumbnail (and also FCPX's):

Set

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
Bandung, West Java, Indonesia (UTC+7 Time Area)

Personal FB | Personal IG | Personal YT Channel
Chungs Video FB | Chungs Video IG | Chungs Video YT Channel
Personal Portfolios YouTube Playlist
Pond5 page: My Stock Footage of Bandung city

System 5-2021:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Video Card1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2127 (Feb 1 2024 Release date))
Video Card2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (Driver Version 551.23 Studio Driver (Jan 24 2024 Release Date))
RAM: 32.0 GB
Drive OS: SSD 240GB
Drive Working: NVMe 1TB
Drive Storage: 4TB+2TB

System 2-2018:
ASUS ROG Strix Hero II GL504GM Gaming Laptop
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 8750H CPU @2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Video Card 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2111)
Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM (Driver Version 537.58)
RAM: 16GB
Storage: M.2 NVMe PCIe 256GB SSD & 2.5" 5400rpm 1TB SSHD

* I don't work for VEGAS Creative Software Team. I'm just Voluntary Moderator in this forum.

K-Decisive wrote on 5/27/2016, 10:38 AM
Actually, I'm all for "EDITY McEDITFACE"

Wolfgang S. wrote on 5/27/2016, 10:47 AM
Sometimes I ask myself how many here have used Vegas on a modern 8-core system, equiped with actual more then one GPU but also videocards like Decklink or AJA. And I ask myself how many here are working with x-log files and 10 or 12 bit footage.

The answer is: more and more users are using these actual trends toward 10bit or 12bit footage. The reasons are simple: we face trends on the camera side that bring things like x-log also into cheaper consumer cameras. UHD resolution tends to become a consumier commodity. And UHD televisions will force us to think about rec 2020, HDR and for sure 10bit 422 or even better.

Understanding these trends it will be necessary to define the product roadmap of Vegas with capabilities that suits those trends. I think these product requirements are:

- repair the old ProRes bugs in Vegas. The luminance range is spread for ProRes in Vegas, and with UHD-files of a Shogun ProRes crashes Vegas very fast. That must happen also because of the Quicktime bug that we have become aware. ProRes must be decodec native in Vegas.

- allow that ProRes but also DNxHR is decoded in Vegas as 10bit but not as 8bit only. Few users seems to reflect that ProRes is decoded as 8bit in Vegas only.

- Improve the playback behaviour also for UHD 10bit footage, like Cineform or XAVC, ProRes or DNxHR files. Few Users seems to be aware that the playback of UHD footage will not run with 24, 25 or 30 fps if you choose in playback preview/full or even best/fool. Even with a high-end PC your fps drop to something like 50% of the footage. With upcoming UHD 50p/60p that will be a nightmare.

- Think about to allow to support the dircet import of CDNG too. Otherwise the user will be forced to use Resolve to grade the CDNG and ProRes footage - and there will be the question why to use Vegas then at all. Only because of some audio features?

- Think about a better support of modern GPUs. It is a nightmare that newer GPUs are not supported at all in Vegas.

- Think about to utilize the cores better, both for the preview but also for the render process. It is a not satisfying that we end up without the full frames per second, but the cores are utilized to 30% maybe only.

- Bring the interface to Blackmagic or AJA cards up to date. The Decklink 4K Extreme seems to have become a standard for a lot of applications - I can use it here for Look3, Catalyst Prepare and Edit, Resolve, Boris Red. With such a card the user has access to a 10bit preview also in Vegas - but resolution i still limited to HD only.

- Foresee a LUT support in Vegas. Even Edius has moved into that direction, and that will be the only way to avoid that uses have to use Resolve again. There should be a support for both customized LUTs but also for pure camera LUTs that bring the footage of c-log, v-log, s-log2/3 to rec 709 only.

- Improve the Grading features in Vegas. I would not go so far to think that we will need linear color corrections AND log color corrections as we have it in Resolve. But to improve the color correction function and combine it with more adjustment possiblities as it was done now in Edius would be worthwile to think about. Y-RGB has become here state of the art.

- The color curves are fine but should be reworked to a larger and better GUI - and maybe combined with color correction to something that we see today in Resolve, Catalyst Prepare or even Edius.

- Render formates must be improved toward H.265 in the long run.

- We also will need H.264 10bit 422 support very likely - both for import but also for export.

That is a long list, and I am not sure if it is complete by now. But that is something that will be necessary for the actual trends that we see today. Oh yes, 8K? Well, frankly spoken I do not think that we will need that very fast. At least not as long as we are not in Japan.

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti (12 GB)* Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Resolve Studio 18 * Edius X* Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED * internal HDR preview * i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE * 32 GB Ram) * Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB * internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor * Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

HDR monitor: ProArt Monitor PA32 UCG-K 1600 nits, Atomos Sumo

Others: Edius NX (Canopus NX)-card in an old XP-System. Edius 4.6 and other systems

alanfitch wrote on 5/27/2016, 11:43 AM
TRUE STORYBOARDING FUNCTIONALITY: at the very least, the ability to rearrange clips/subclips within a bin before dropping onto the timeline. This would speed up my editing process tremendously. The ability to rearrange within bins is NOT a Windows problem (as some have claimed), as I was doing this with my ///Fast Video Machine under Win95!

This is a core function that got lost somewhere along the way under the newer NLEs and needs to be restored.

The rest of Vegas works very well for me, and has since version 3.0 (which was the closest thing available at the time to the ///Fast product when it was discontinued.) Currently on Vegas Pro 12.0 under Win 7 and have been seriously looking at Edius.

Thanks for listening.
dxdy wrote on 5/27/2016, 12:09 PM
+1 for "auto ripple is still on" alert - maybe change the shape or color of the cursor.

Keep scripting for sure.

Also please maintain the ability to frameserve to other applications.

Fred
WWWhatsup_NYC wrote on 5/27/2016, 1:04 PM

Make it not crash!
cinefilm wrote on 5/27/2016, 1:19 PM
Scrub thumbnails in project media window and explorer, can mark in and out points on thumbnails and set a poster frame like premiere and catalyst edit.
Kit wrote on 5/27/2016, 2:23 PM
Yes, agree with all of these, especially scripting.
Shenan wrote on 5/27/2016, 3:56 PM
My list:

1. A feature similar in concept to FCP X's ability to create "virtual" subclips. This sounds like a killer feature for those of us who edit documentaries occasionally. Here's a description that someone else wrote (relative to Premiere Pro, from this page https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1178684):

"First and foremost, the ability to use keywords to sort and organize subclips. This is HUGE and probably the biggest thing missing in PP's workflow! In FCPX, you can assign 1 or more keywords to clip selections. Each keyword becomes the equivalent to a Bin in PP's Project window. An interview clip, for example, can quickly be marked with in/out points during live playback, and each clip selection can be sent to its own respective keyword 'bin(s)' for easy finding later on. Thus a long interview clip can be broken up into any number of subclips organized by terms such as 'soundbite', 'nod', 'smile', 'reaction shots', 'favorites', etc. And since up to 9 keywords can be assigned their own keyboard shortcuts (e.g. 1-9 on the number pad), assigning keywords and thus organizing subclips into logical 'bins' can even be done on the fly during playback! Lastly, the 'subclips' in FCPX are intelligent in the sense that you can still drag the in/out points out up to the original duration of the clip, unlike PP's unusable subclips that create hard in/out points that can't be reset."

2. H.265/HEVC
3. ProRes output
videoITguy wrote on 5/27/2016, 4:02 PM
Re previous post by Shenan - " First and foremost, the ability to use keywords ..."

Actually this is all about having the (a) Media Manager companion to VegasPro the way there used to be... Since VegasPro development was squashed by the pro competition - the long-forgotten media manager component waits in the wings.

Unfortunately a lot of this is all going to probably go by the wayside as Magix will be all about hobbyist consumer and never mind the pro features that VegasPro originally had going for it.
Pawel Janaszkiewicz wrote on 5/27/2016, 4:15 PM
Mac version, please :)
Shenan wrote on 5/27/2016, 4:58 PM
videoITguy, as far as I know, this is a feature of FCP X that no other editor currently has: the ability to simply mark zones of a clip and label them to automatically create a "meta-subclip" that can then be changed after the fact. I've never used it but it sounds very useful - I've heard that it's an awesome workflow for documentary editors.
GaryRebholz wrote on 5/27/2016, 5:03 PM
<<<Unfortunately a lot of this is all going to probably go by the wayside as Magix will be all about hobbyist consumer and never mind the pro features that VegasPro originally had going for it.>>>

Nothing could be further from the truth of what I am proposing to do with Vegas Pro. I don't understand why you would spread such negativity here. Well, to be fair, users have been bitten over the past few versions, so I do get it. But please don't limit your thinking (or anyone else's) to "hobbyist consumer" features.

This growing list is spectacular and I have been logging every single piece of it into my backlog. Obviously it can't all happen immediately--we're a small team. But we're an enthusiastic and dedicated team. And we're itching to get started. Thanks for the great input everyone!
Pinnacle Productions wrote on 5/27/2016, 6:04 PM
"+1 for "auto ripple is still on" alert - maybe change the shape or color of the cursor"

Yes, great thought on that. Friend of mine suggests changing the background color of the timeline when Ripple is engaged. I like both ideas!
ushere wrote on 5/27/2016, 6:11 PM
i would be happy if gpu worked as it should, especially so with the advent of the gtx 1080/70 cards....