Movie Studio 18 has nothing to do with Vegas Movie Studio

Dr Zen wrote on 7/14/2021, 7:47 AM

Let's get real, before the confusion starts and we (the senior members of this forum) have to explain what has happened to the unaware casual users of Vegas.

Movie Studio 18, Movie Studio 18 Platinum and Movie Studio 18 Suite
are not the new updated versions of...
Vegas Movie Studio 17, Vegas Movie Studio 17 Platinum and Vegas Movie Studio 17 Suite

The Vegas Movie Studio product line has been cancelled and retired - end of story - it's that simple.
I have my own thoughts as to why this has happened, but I'll leave that for each individual to make their own conclusions as to the "why now?"

Movie Studio 18 = Magix Movie Edit Pro 2021 = Magix Video Deluxe in Germany
Movie Studio 18 Platinum = Magix Movie Edit Pro 2021 Plus = Magix Video Deluxe Plus in Germany
Movie Studio 18 Suite = Magix Movie Edit Pro 2021 Premium = Magix Video Deluxe Premium in Germany

Magix has just rebranded their German made consumer video editor line up and stuck a different label on the box.
If you bought a Ford Mustang yesterday, it is now a Volkswagen Polo.
There are now 3 different product names for the exact same product.
The only difference as far as I am aware, is the extra plugins that come bundled with each version.
The core program is the same.

Calling Movie Studio 18 version 18 is misleading - it is not version 18 of Vegas Movie Studio, because it has nothing to do with Vegas Movie Studio (made in the USA) and everything to do with Magix Movie Edit Pro (made in Germany)!
It is version 1 of Movie Studio or version 2021 of Movie Edit Pro/Video Deluxe.

Personally it is a really sad day for myself and many others.
Vegas Movie Studio was a unique video editing program in the consumer video editing market segment - there was nothing quite like it at this price point, because it offered so many advanced features that are normally only seen in Professional level programs.
It was the consumer video editing program for nerds and geeks, who liked to exercise their brains instead of being spoon fed.

I can't imagine many Vegas Movie Studio editors who have enjoyed using the program for many years, will want anything to do with Movie Studio 18. It is a definite step down to say it politely. I'm trying my best to stay restrained and not saying anything I'll regret later, because I'm still a loyal fan/user of Vegas Pro.

I'm not sure what happens next???
I'll still be using Vegas Pro myself and of cause some Vegas Movie Studio users will now make the upgrade to Vegas Pro, but I honestly don't know what I would advise beginners to use now. I need to find a cave in the Himalayas and meditate on this for a very long time before I will know how to proceed into the future.

Does anyone know what day the funeral for Vegas Movie Studio Platinum will be?
Will there be a church service?
Will it be live streamed via Zoom?

I wonder what type of beer Vegas Movie Studio would have enjoyed, because I'd like to crack one open now for her/him/it.

Peace be with you Vegas Movie Studio - you will be sadly missed 😱😨😰😢😥😪😓😭
If only Jesus was here, He could resurrect you.
Maybe when someone realizes what a terrible decision this is, Vegas Movie Studio will be reborn one day.

Sad regards,
Derek (aka Doctor Zen)

Comments

FayFen wrote on 7/14/2021, 9:54 AM

Magix pushes this new/old boy so hard that that even on You-tube I can't find any relevant promo with screen shots and kitschy narration from recent week.

vkmast wrote on 7/14/2021, 10:03 AM

For the questions regarding Movie Studio 18, please see here https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/movie-studio-18-vs-vegas-movie-studio--130402/

Ross-Jackson wrote on 7/14/2021, 12:07 PM

Weird! I have Vegas Movie Studio, which I find excellent. I am offered the facility to 'upgrade' to Magix Movie Studio. Looking at it, it's not a patch of the Vegas programme. And, it's a different programme and company., I think? Big mix up here.

However. the web page offering the update displays Vegas.

What is going on?

vkmast wrote on 7/14/2021, 12:30 PM

Please see here https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/movie-studio-18-vs-vegas-movie-studio--130402/

LastofAvari wrote on 7/14/2021, 12:45 PM

Using Vegas brand for a completely different product smells pretty much like a scam. They probaly have their "fine print" somewhere in the corner, but the whole idea of it still quite a bit disingenuous. This mess sounds like "we are unable/unwilling to fix bugs we added to the product in the first place, so we will kill it off, lol." to me.

At the very least the latest v17 build improved stability somewhat, so it doesn't crash as often anymore, but v14 is still a lot faster in editing/preview.

I'm probably not going to upgrade now even though it's on 50% off sale. It's not going to be the last sale ever, so I'll just stick to what I have for the moment being. Maybe I'll take a look around Christmas later this year, pehaps.

VEGASDerek wrote on 7/14/2021, 1:58 PM

This has been in the works for a while (even though the release today took me by surprise). Honestly, the VEGAS team would prefer this new Movie Studio not be on the vegascreativesoftware website, and I believe at some point in the future, it will be moved completely over the the MAGIX website. Right now they are in the process of migrating existing users over to the new product line and to do that, the product really needed to still be offered on the VEGAS website.

I'm going to give you all a little bit of insider information here...and some at Magix will probably be upset I am posting this. The decision to halt work on VEGAS Movie Studio was a decision made by the VEGAS team (not Magix, which really wanted us to continue working on it) and it really came down to the fact that we simply did not have the resources to support both VEGAS Pro and VEGAS Movie Studio. It should have been evident that this was the case as the quality of both products has suffered drastically in the last few years because our team was stretched so thin trying to work on both of them.

The consumer video software team at Magix has come in to save Movie Studio and to create an offering for the Movie Studio market. Right now is was a simple rebranding of some of their current products, but I expect them to work to improve the experience for current Movie Studio users so that the migration is smooth.

For me, the whole situation has been bittersweet as I was the development lead for Movie Studio back in the Sony days. It is sad to see it go from the VEGAS line, but I am glad another team will take on the lead. I would request everyone who is disappointed to give the new Movie Studio a chance. They have a good team in Germany working on this.

And if this new Movie Studio is still not to your liking, know that the VEGAS team is still here and we have been working on plans to make entry into the VEGAS Pro universe a little easier for people as well.

FayFen wrote on 7/14/2021, 2:44 PM

Derek, thanks for the honest words. Magix can't expect a users migration from VMS to ME, it's a different NLE, why to go there and not to PD, VS, PS or any other on this vast ever expanding pool with so many free and good options.

The only reasonable option (for me ...) is wait for the $99 deal on VP19 or even VP20.

Ross-Jackson wrote on 7/14/2021, 5:11 PM

VEGASDerek

Thank you for your information and views. Took a lot of courage.

From my point of view. Being new to Video Editing due to and wishing not to be bored due to the pandemic, I looked at many of the offerings, on and off-line, for video editing. Without doubt the Vegas options were the best. Vegas Movie Studio gave me the best option, and at a great value. Vegas Pro is out of my cost remit. As FayFen states. Wait for the deals.

I really do like Vegas and it's community.

Soured me for the future.

Regards

Ross

EricLNZ wrote on 7/14/2021, 10:38 PM

I'm saddened. I initially assumed this new "Movie Studio" was something new and worthwhile looking at. But if it's only Magix Movie Edit Pro relabelled what a waste of time. I've tried MEP twice and whilst it has good points I wasn't comfortable with it. I can live with "upside down" tracks but not with the lack of a Media Pane for internal media management.

Selling Movie Studio 18 as an upgrade of Vegas Movie Studio 17 is, to me, very misleading.

bjtap1 wrote on 7/14/2021, 10:53 PM

Movie Studio 18 = Magix Movie Edit Pro 2021 = Magix Video Deluxe in Germany
Movie Studio 18 Platinum = Magix Movie Edit Pro 2021 Plus = Magix Video Deluxe Plus in Germany
Movie Studio 18 Suite = Magix Movie Edit Pro 2021 Premium = Magix Video Deluxe Premium in Germany

Okay, so what happens to the Movie Edit Pro line? Does this disappear also? In the future will us Movie Edit Pro people have an update path to Movie Studio 19?

Thanks

EricLNZ wrote on 7/15/2021, 12:39 AM

@bjtap1 Only Magix can answer your questions. Please try posting your queries on the Magix Community Forum https://www.magix.info/us/video-forum/

FayFen wrote on 7/15/2021, 1:50 AM

Barry, it just a name change. If you look under the hood and see it's Movie Edit interface than the name is not important and you have 3 to choose from depending on your time zone.

Ross-Jackson wrote on 7/15/2021, 2:30 AM

As matter of interest. I have downloaded the trial version of Magix Movie Studio 18 Platinum. From a beginners point of view. Can't fathom it out. An expert like you members could. But as beginner?

Dr Zen wrote on 7/15/2021, 2:47 AM

I have actually mucked around quite a bit with Magix Movie Edit Pro over the last 3 years.
It is certainly not an upgrade to Vegas Movie Studio - it is a definite technological downgrade.
It renders much, much slower than Vegas MS and only uses 30-40% CPU and 3% GPU.
It's a piece of crap compared to where Vegas MS is now.
We got spoilt with Parent/Child window options in VMS - no sign of that level in any Magix product.

The No.1 thing I dislike about Movie Edit Pro (Movie Studio 18 Platinum), is there is no ability to pull Media FX windows onto the desktop, so you can easily see all the controls/sliders at once. Everything is squished into a box where you have to drag a window slider up/down continuously to see all the functions. You can move the windows around a bit, but it's impossible to get anything to remotely look like Vegas MS.

However, on the positive side, Movie Edit Pro (Movie Studio 18) comes with a large content pack of pre-made Templates which make it easy for the beginner to make a masterpiece. It is very much a program that novice video editors would probably love!

vkmast wrote on 7/15/2021, 2:50 AM

Despite being marketed at the vcs site, "Movie Studio 18 is not a VEGAS product and support for it is not available on this site. However, support for Movie Studio 18 is available from the Magix user forum at https://www.magix.info/us/news-forum/.

FayFen wrote on 7/15/2021, 3:11 AM

I just saw this on the other forum

"Our development team is very determined to complete the full functionality that will allow you to import your VEGAS Movie Studio projects into the brand new Movie Studio 18. We will keep you updated."

Well, good luck to them... specially with filters, titles and transitions...

EricLNZ wrote on 7/15/2021, 4:12 AM

As matter of interest. I have downloaded the trial version of Magix Movie Studio 18 Platinum. From a beginners point of view. Can't fathom it out. An expert like you members could. But as beginner?

@Ross-Jackson Have you tried importing your Vegas Movie Studio 17 projects into Movie Studio 18 and if so how successful was it? Don't worry about trying to work on them I'm just interested as to whether it works at all.

Ronald-Henderson wrote on 7/15/2021, 5:50 AM

I have not been able to import my Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Projects into Movie Studio 18 suite. I can find any way to use my NewBlue Titler and over the years I have made many of my own designs which I use frequently. To me, this is a big step backwards..

EricLNZ wrote on 7/15/2021, 5:58 AM

I have not been able to import my Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Projects into Movie Studio 18 suite. I can find any way to use my NewBlue Titler and over the years I have made many of my own designs which I use frequently. To me, this is a big step backwards..

It's a sideways step to a different editor which most Vegas MS users will probably find is also a backward step. The simple answer is ignore this new kid on the block and continue using VMS17, or whatever version you have. If at some future date you need to move to an up to date editor consider moving to Vegas Pro. Although more expensive it is similar but more extensive and an easy switch.

Ross-Jackson wrote on 7/15/2021, 6:01 AM

EricLNZ

Yes. Did an import. Basic slide show (4 ducks). Imported a tutorial video that I was using. Imported ok. Could eventually make in/out points on preview.. However on transpose to time line, was not able to add or amend, move etc. Too involved. Learning video was too short and too involved. Assumed knowledge above basic. No transitions were imported. I have now uninstalled.

EricLNZ wrote on 7/15/2021, 6:04 AM

Thanks @Ross-Jackson Personally I consider you are better off sticking with Vegas Movie Studio.

Ross-Jackson wrote on 7/15/2021, 6:26 AM

EricNLZ

Totally agree. However I am thinking that VMS is now at its limit with regard to update with the Vegas team no longer involved. As a beginner and low end user, the cost of VMS (£29) is, was, a godsend. I will never be able to obtain Vegas pro. It would take me 7 month of my spend savings to get the offer that was made for the Vegas upgrade of £75. Vegas Pro, programmed in USA, but owned by the parent Magix in Germany, seems a problem for Vegas. Still, going to soldier on.

As I said before. Really enjoying the learning. Slow but sure. I'm actually doing a Udemy Premiere Pro course and transferring all the files into VMS and practicing as directed. Great fun. Just starting a wedding video section. Woohoo!

Regards

Ross

j-v wrote on 7/15/2021, 6:34 AM

I'm interested how @Ross-Jackson could import a slideshow from VMS to Magix MS.
I looked into the MMS if there was a possibility to import from other programs but could not find it like @Ronald-Henderson

met vriendelijke groet
Marten

Camera : Pan X900, GoPro Hero7 Hero Black, DJI Osmo Pocket, Samsung Galaxy A8
Desktop :MB Gigabyte Z390M, W11 home version 23H2, i7 9700 4.7Ghz,16 DDR4 GB RAM, Gef. GTX 1660 Ti with driver
522.22 Studiodriver and Intel HD graphics 630 with driver 31.0.101.2127
Laptop  :Asus ROG Str G712L, W11 home version 23H2, CPU i7-10875H, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Studiodriver 522.22 and Intel UHD Graphics 630 with driver 31.0.101.2127
Vegas software: VP 10 to 21 and VMS(pl) 10,12 to 17.
TV      :LG 4K 55EG960V

My slogan is: BE OR BECOME A STEM CELL DONOR!!! (because it saved my life in 2016)

EricLNZ wrote on 7/15/2021, 7:08 AM

@j-v We're getting OT discussing Magix Products!

Try "Manage Project" and it should appear as a sublist according to this tutorial https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/vegas-movie-studio/online-tutorials/#productMenu