VEGAS Movie Studio 15 - General Discussion

Comments

3POINT wrote on 2/28/2018, 3:40 AM

On my edit PC VMS15 still doesn't start at all. On my Laptop VMS15 works fine till I used the Explorer to explore a folder with AVCHD files, no media thumbs showed up and VMS15 crashed completely. Also on this laptop VegasPro14, VegasPro15 and VMS14 are installed and are working fine.

After rebooting and going to the same AVCHD folder again, VMS starts very very very slowly importing the media thumbs (about 1 thumb a minute)...unworkable.

I appreciate really the work of Gary and his team, but please make sure that everything is tested well and working before you release a new version.

vkmast wrote on 2/28/2018, 3:41 AM

It seems there's no way to turn the event headers off as in VPro 15. If you increase the track heights in timeline, this results in even less "real estate" for tracks there. Good to see though at least the two Interface Type options in Preferences > Display.

VEGAS_CommunityManager wrote on 2/28/2018, 4:34 AM

You are right, that's why I'll ask Matthias

For everybody, who bought the special offer from 12 to 14 with free upgrade to 15: If you haven't already, you will receive an email with the serial. Please be a little bit patient.

What do you exactly mean by a "little bit"?

You should get the email today. Sorry about the delay!

tore-bahnson wrote on 2/28/2018, 9:20 AM

I have just updated from 14 to 15 and am very disappointed. Movie Studio 15 Platinum is painfully slow, so slow in fact that it is unusable. Starting the program is sloooooow in it self. Loading a projekt (made in v. 14 where it loads in 30 seconds) takes 20 minutes!!! in v.15. And when it comes to play / preview same project v.15 simply freezes while the harddrive runs and runs and runs. Version 14 plays/previews the project in near realtime, even with sound, effects, bluescreen overlays etc.
I have tried a load of different settings and preference adjustment and nothing helps.
I wonder if it is possible to unregister and get my money back for the upgrade. Next time I upgrade I will remember to try out the version beforehand!!

robbif2 wrote on 2/28/2018, 12:05 PM

VMS 14 and 15 Suites Together

Here's what I've got sofar...

1. First time I opened VMS15 I noticed the Creating Windows took a lot longer than VMS14.
Then I opened 14 and Creating Windows now always takes as long as 15.

2. First time with 15, at some point a grey window popped up: "MP4 Codec Updated".
Then I opened 14 and the same grey window popped up: "MP4 Codec Updated"
partially underneath another 14 window. Sorry I don't remember the exact state when the popup appeared.

3. Now, when I Make Movie with 14, the "Make Movie - Select Destination" window has 15's color icons.

4. When I opened a 14 project in 15 the first time, it took several minutes to load.
Next time I opened the same project in 15, it came right up. Pretty sure it's the thumbnail loading issue. Unacceptable.

5. Rendering a test project - GPU Enabled (EVGA 560Ti)
Sony AVC/MVC Internet 1920x1080, Audio 384 bps
a. "Render As" Templates (including my VMS14 custom ones) show for 14 and 15
b. Render time 14: 9:13
c. Render time 15: 10:20

robbif2 wrote on 2/28/2018, 3:17 PM

I saw for rendertimes this (faster in 15) on my desktop,

but had very much trouble to load the vf 14 file on my (still) trial version of VMS 15 .
Rendering with the same customized SVV Sony AVC Internet FHD 50p template was faster in 15 but loading was very difficult.
Opening that 1.vf in already started VMS 15 crashed at 48 % loading after a while
and starting the VMS 15 with that 1.vf took a very long time, ended with a strange interface that had to be changed by choosing my default one.
I shall not write here my conclusion so far but I have my doubts about the program in this state.

I assume you have a newer Video card than I do. I understand only newer cards can take advantage of the faster renders. I was warned above before I purchased. So far, no crashes...but I haven't done that much with 15 yet.

EricLNZ wrote on 3/1/2018, 1:44 AM

I'm also experiencing long load up time for a project created in MS14 even though I've now resaved it several times in MS15. Looking at my File Explorer and Media Pool Thumbnail folders in my AppData\Local\MovieStudioPlatinum\15.0 folders the dates show they were created several days ago. So it doesn't appearto be a thumbnail creation problem.

EricLNZ wrote on 3/1/2018, 5:04 AM

Crop FX - new to MS15. The Help item mentions Angle and Opacity adjustments. But I cannot find them? Is the Help perhaps incorrect and they are only found in Vegas Pro?

3POINT wrote on 3/1/2018, 5:38 AM

You're right, no angle and opacity adjustments.

My opinion: those new crop and pip FX are completely obsolete. The old pan/crop/trackmotion tool works quicker and better to achieve the same aim, with also the possibility to snap to a predefined grid.

Last changed by 3POINT on 3/1/2018, 5:39 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

3POINT, Theo Houben, Vegasuser since version 5 and co-founder and moderator of the Dutch Vegasforum https://www.vegas-videoforum.nl/index.php

Recware: DJI Osmo Pocket/Mavic Mini, GoproHero7Black, PanasonicFZ300/HCX909.

Software: Vegaspro365+Vegasaur, PowerDirector365, Davinci Resolve 18

Hardware: i910900k, 32GB, GTX2080super, 2x1920x1200 display

Playware: Samsung Qled QE65Q6FN, Philips 55PFL7108

PavelZM wrote on 3/1/2018, 6:56 AM

Good afternoon, tell me please how Jumpstart Templates Vol 1 works, I can not figure out where to include it.

Dr Zen wrote on 3/1/2018, 6:58 AM

In the state of the program now I cannot work with it.
One or two files mostly no big problem exept use of the file explorer and project media opening searching for the files to use.
But adding media(more than 2) to projectmedia freezes the program and I can go for a short walk.
Adding more than 2 files from the file explorer same story.

Yesterday evening and today during the last hour I tried to make a small project out of source video from my Panasonic (nothing special AVC 50p material) and still after many freezes and restarts I have an empty timeline.
The to use source video is part of 154 sourcefiles on one location on my seperate HDD for my sourcevideofiles. Separate means no programs or OS stored, because they are on a SSD.

So maybe the program now is capable to edit one or two sourcefiles, but using for a simpel and not so big project worthless.

Once again, I am experiencing the exact same experience with Vegas Movie Studio 15 Platinum as you Cornico. I was about to post a near identical summary/conclusion on the forum here, after doing a lot of tests today. Now I don't have to. So I officially second Cornico's summary. 👍👍

If Vegas Movie Studio 15 Platinum is a stripped down version of Vegas Pro 15 using the identical code, what on Earth did they do to create this awful situation?

In it's current slow state importing media and creating thumbnails, the program is unusable. I would guess these two issues are being caused by the same problem.

This slow import/freeze behaviour, requires an urgent Patch Update to fix, by developers. I cannot in good conscience recommend anyone use this program until it is fixed - it is that serious. If a beginner tried to use this program, I could just imagine the frustration they would feel. A lot of people will be asking for full refunds if it is not fixed quickly.

I am a glass half full person and try to avoid negativity at all costs, but I can't be silent of this. Can someone of seniority from the Magix/Vegas team, please make a comment about this here and at least acknowledge there is a problem? How did they miss this before official release? 😕😟😩

Concerned longtime user and loyal supporter of Vegas Movie Studio Platinum
Derek Moran

Reyfox wrote on 3/1/2018, 7:15 AM

Vegas Pro 15 Suite owner.

I have a question for those that own both Pro and Movie Studio that have Boris FX. Does Boris install for both versions when you install it or is it Pro or VMS specific on the install.

Reason for asking. I'm retired (very fixed income), I bought myself Pro 15 Suite for Christmas as a gift to me. I happen to like Boris Film Style in VMS15 Suite. Buying the VMS15 software costs less then buying the Continuum Unit-Film Style as a plugin for VPro.

Yes, it's easy to say buy VMS15 Suite and use that for the fx, but I like working with VPro. If Boris will install in both, I'll buy VSM15 Suite and save a considerable amount.

huskereurocat wrote on 3/1/2018, 9:06 AM

Cornico and Derek - I'm surprised that you got this far without being very disappointed in the performance of MSP15. I got my update email yesterday and thought why not try to upgrade since I was told that VASST Event Tools is a go with this new version. Welllllllll.........It does load, but the program takes a minimum of 3:20 to open. It hangs at the creating windows part of the opening sequence. For a test I tried to open just one file and that was a file to tell the program what media I wanted to import and that froze on me. After 2 minutes, I ended up going to the kitchen for a drink and I have a feeling it should have been stronger than tea. I got back a few minutes later and it was done processing so I don't know how long it took. If we can't have a solution to this slowdown issue, then I don't see moving to MSP15 because it is unusable at this point. Going back to MSP 14 and will keep looking here for updates.

tore-bahnson wrote on 3/1/2018, 9:22 AM

How can this happen, I wonder? How is it possible at all for a professional company to publish non-functioning software?
I have unfortunately paid for the 15 upgrade, and yesterday I wrote Magix support claiming my money back. They have opened a "Ticket" and answered that "Your inquiry will soon be answered by one of our employees.".
After that I haven't heard anyhing. :-(

huskereurocat wrote on 3/1/2018, 9:40 AM

I went back to MSP14 and found that, it too, was terribly slow in the startup process. I decided to start deleting some of the FX plugins that come with the install and started with the RX Editor and Boris FX. I know that I should have only deleted one of them, but after deleting them both I tried opening the program again and it opened fairly fast, only taking about 15-20 seconds to do so. I would assume that one or both of those programs is causing an issue. I then went in and tried to add an .mp4 file to the project and........it froze. About a minute and 45 seconds for this freeze up. The only issue is that I then tried to drag that file to the timeline like I would do in MSP14 and it would not go.

BTW, the little welcome box never comes up letting you start a new project or open an existing project. Anyone know where that went or how to activate it?

robbif2 wrote on 3/1/2018, 10:54 AM

I went back to MSP14 and found that, it too, was terribly slow in the startup process. I decided to start deleting some of the FX plugins that come with the install and started with the RX Editor and Boris FX. I know that I should have only deleted one of them, but after deleting them both I tried opening the program again and it opened fairly fast, only taking about 15-20 seconds to do so. I would assume that one or both of those programs is causing an issue. I then went in and tried to add an .mp4 file to the project and........it froze. About a minute and 45 seconds for this freeze up. The only issue is that I then tried to drag that file to the timeline like I would do in MSP14 and it would not go.

BTW, the little welcome box never comes up letting you start a new project or open an existing project. Anyone know where that went or how to activate it?

After the above issues, bear with me as I repeat my previous post (below). Looks like perhaps even more interference with my VMS14 by VMS15 that originally predicted, possibly threatening my current VMS14 production! Questions:
1. Has anyone else experienced these issues?
2. Will a simple uninstall of VMS15 Suite remove all the problems?
3. Any further advice?

Derek, please help, too!
-------------------------------------------------------

robbif2 wrote on 2/28/2018, 1:05 PM

VMS 14 and 15 Suites Together

Here's what I've got sofar...

1. First time I opened VMS15 I noticed the Creating Windows took a lot longer than VMS14.
Then I opened 14 and Creating Windows now always takes as long as 15.

2. First time with 15, at some point a grey window popped up: "MP4 Codec Updated".
Then I opened 14 and the same grey window popped up: "MP4 Codec Updated"
partially underneath another 14 window. Sorry I don't remember the exact state when the popup appeared.

3. Now, when I Make Movie with 14, the "Make Movie - Select Destination" window has 15's color icons.

4. When I opened a 14 project in 15 the first time, it took several minutes to load.
Next time I opened the same project in 15, it came right up. Pretty sure it's the thumbnail loading issue. Unacceptable.

robbif2 wrote on 3/1/2018, 12:02 PM

3. Any further advice?

For the time being use only VMS 14 .
Works as a standalone and has nothing to do with an upgrade version other than paying a reduced price for the upgrade version.

Yes, agreed.
But 14 is already/still showing effects of the 15 install, so the upgrade to 15 does have something to do with 14.
In fact I just now did a simple uninstall of 15 Platinum - nothing else from the suite.
Initial observations:
1. Creating Windows is still (a) equal to VMS15 (b) much longer than before 15 install.
2. "Make Movie - Select Destination" window still has 15's color icons.

- What else should I uninstall?
- Any specific files to delete?

huskereurocat wrote on 3/1/2018, 12:29 PM

If you go to your programs and features section of the control panel, you can sort by date installed. If my livelihood was impacted the way that it seems to be impacting you, I would uninstall everything that I installed with the 15 update, go back to using MSP14 and keep checking back here to see when things are fixed. I'm certain they will be at some point. It's just real tough working through the initial pains of updates.

robbif2 wrote on 3/1/2018, 1:59 PM

nothing else from the suite

That has nothing to do with 15 because these extra's were installed somewhere else and at the start of 14 the program finds them and I think it's the reason that building windows takes a longer time. When they work also in 14 than use them , you payed for it.

Do you have a screenshot of that Make Movie Window?

- What else should I uninstall?
- Any specific files to delete?

Like I said before you had deïnstall nothing because eachs program has its own way of working, like you don't have to deïnstall Windows for working with VMS 14.

Thanks. That's my plan. I just started with the main program so I could see if it was the peripherals.
Will check back later.

robbif2 wrote on 3/1/2018, 2:16 PM

If you go to your programs and features section of the control panel, you can sort by date installed. If my livelihood was impacted the way that it seems to be impacting you, I would uninstall everything that I installed with the 15 update, go back to using MSP14 and keep checking back here to see when things are fixed. I'm certain they will be at some point. It's just real tough working through the initial pains of updates.

Thanks. I understand. That's my plan. I intentionally only removed VMS15 initially and not the suite to go step by step. I'll continue step by step and get back eventually.

Edit: Here's my current status - minimal testing done - looking for changes in the 2 issues I've seen sofar
2/17/18 Initial Install*...
*Studio
DVD Architect
*Boris Continuum
*iZotope RX Elements
*HitFilm Boost
*Jumpstart Templates
Music Maker
* Connect ? (Didn't see this until 3/1/8 uninstall list - what is it?)
Uninstalls 3/1/18
Studio Platinum 15 - no change in VMS14
HitFilm Boost - no change in VMS14
Boris Continuum
  - Creating Windows back to VMS14 time - approx 12 seconds, half or less than that of VMS15)
  - Make Movie still has color icons
iZotope RX Elements
  - Make Movie still has color icons
------------------------------- That's it for tonight.
Next day: Now that it appears to be Boris Continuum that caused the Creating Windows time to double or triple for VMS14, I'm guessing it may have caused the lengthy Creating Windows time for 15. But with all the reported issues, I'm not about to reinstall 15 or peripherals until there are some answers from Magix and a new build.

EricLNZ wrote on 3/1/2018, 4:57 PM

You're right, no angle and opacity adjustments.

My opinion: those new crop and pip FX are completely obsolete. The old pan/crop/trackmotion tool works quicker and better to achieve the same aim, with also the possibility to snap to a predefined grid.

Actually after playing around I've found both useful. With Crop you can crop to how you want. Then with it placed before Pan/Crop in the FX order you can use the latter to size and place it where you want it. You then don't need to use Track Motion for this. Alternatively use the PIP FX to resize and place where you want, again avoiding the need for Track Motion.

Where an adjustment is associated with an Event I prefer to have its adjustments part of the event rather than rely on Track Motion and the need for keyframes if the track is to be used for other events. With rippling adjustments to events on other tracks can result in keyframes doing unexpected things. The new Crop and PIP FX add greater versatility. All we need now is a decent Deform/Transform FX similar to the 3D Distortion FX found in Magix Movie Edit Pro Plus. The current Vegas Transform doesn't allow you to move individual corners.

EricLNZ wrote on 3/1/2018, 8:26 PM

Menu "View/Extensions"

Actually it's the Welcome box being asked about which is something different. In MS14 it could be activated from Help\Welcome. But it's not there in MS15 so the short answer it has gone. I thought there was something missing when MS15 started but until this query didn't realise what it was.

BobWard wrote on 3/1/2018, 8:51 PM

Is there anyway to enlarge the icons on the Transport and Editing toolbar?

EricLNZ wrote on 3/2/2018, 1:02 AM

Is there anyway to enlarge the icons on the Transport and Editing toolbar?

No, it doesn't appear so. None of the toolbars are customisable. Or if they are I haven't found how.