VEGAS Movie Studio 15 - General Discussion

Comments

Aardvark wrote on 3/21/2018, 5:54 PM

I wouldn't mind... except the pop-up window you get when starting MS14 while connected to the Net is trying to sell me an upgrade that Magix knows is broken and in the process, it breaks my MS14. That's pretty poor form... at least they could stop advertising MS15 until it *is* ready to use, then my problems would have gone away at least and they wouldn't be setting unreasonable expectations with those who might upgrade before the fix(es) are ready.

huskereurocat wrote on 3/21/2018, 6:13 PM

I don't know about anyone else, but I just went into my features and programs section of the control panel and sorted by date, then deleted everything that came with the download. Until they get a solid patch, which doesn't sound like it's too far out, VMS14 works just fine. I feel sorry for anyone trying to make this program work before the patch is made available, but more power to ya! It may lessen the frustration level if all would show some patience. I know that's tough because I would like VMS15 to work NOW as well, but it may bring everyone's blood pressure down. 😅

robbif2 wrote on 3/21/2018, 7:52 PM

I wouldn't mind... except the pop-up window you get when starting MS14 while connected to the Net is trying to sell me an upgrade that Magix knows is broken and in the process, it breaks my MS14. That's pretty poor form... at least they could stop advertising MS15 until it *is* ready to use, then my problems would have gone away at least and they wouldn't be setting unreasonable expectations with those who might upgrade before the fix(es) are ready.

On my VMS14 there's a box in the lower left to check "Don't show this message again."

alderny wrote on 3/22/2018, 11:03 AM

...I find that there are companies that are now driven by the "bean counters" and not the programmers/beta testers. They see release dates and sales. They see the competition releasing something "new" now, and they have to do the same in order to get sales because if someone buys the competition version, that's a sale that is lost...

I used to use Pinnacle Studio, which has had a number of owners and changes of development teams over the years. Since taking it over Coral have brought to market new versions with frequent regularity, each with lots of extra bells and whistles that look good in their advertisements, but are probably of little real world use. Meanwhile, the product's underlying stability has suffered. Please Magix don't go down this route! Personally, I would be happy to pay for a new version with no extra features added, but where instead I could be assured that all the bugs reported in the previous release have been fixed, with rock solid stability, and maybe a few improvements to the user interface.
Finally, wouldn't it be great if a Linux version of Vegas Movie Studio could be made available? What do you think?

3POINT wrote on 3/22/2018, 11:06 AM

Strange opinion, why not wait a few days before an update solves the VMS15 project loading problems and keep on working till that at your actual projects with VMS14. Which enhancements does VMS15 have that are not possible with VMS14? Can you load your actual VMS projects in Resolve? Do you have the same editing experience with Resolve as you have with VMS?

Because there's no guarantee that it'll be "a few days". We were told it would be last week...

Is today quick enough...?

Last changed by 3POINT on 3/22/2018, 11:06 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

3POINT, Theo Houben, Vegasuser since version 5 and co-founder and moderator of the Dutch Vegasforum https://www.vegas-videoforum.nl/index.php

Recware: DJI Osmo Pocket/Mavic Mini, GoproHero7Black, PanasonicFZ300/HCX909.

Software: Vegaspro365+Vegasaur, PowerDirector365, Davinci Resolve 18

Hardware: i910900k, 32GB, GTX2080super, 2x1920x1200 display

Playware: Samsung Qled QE65Q6FN, Philips 55PFL7108

vkmast wrote on 3/22/2018, 11:07 AM

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-movie-studio-15-update-build-106-116--110830/

Reyfox wrote on 3/22/2018, 11:39 AM

...I find that there are companies that are now driven by the "bean counters" and not the programmers/beta testers. They see release dates and sales. They see the competition releasing something "new" now, and they have to do the same in order to get sales because if someone buys the competition version, that's a sale that is lost...

I used to use Pinnacle Studio, which has had a number of owners and changes of development teams over the years. Since taking it over Coral have brought to market new versions with frequent regularity, each with lots of extra bells and whistles that look good in their advertisements, but are probably of little real world use. Meanwhile, the product's underlying stability has suffered. Please Magix don't go down this route! Personally, I would be happy to pay for a new version with no extra features added, but where instead I could be assured that all the bugs reported in the previous release have been fixed, with rock solid stability, and maybe a few improvements to the user interface.
Finally, wouldn't it be great if a Linux version of Vegas Movie Studio could be made available? What do you think?

At one time, I was interested in Linux. I was a die hard Amiga user (owned several including Video Toaster) and didn't want to go to the "dark side"..Windows or Apple. But I couldn't see going to and learning another OS if there really is no commercial product support. Now, I just don't have it in me any more.

As for Pinnacle (I've owned S9-15U, DV500 w/Premiere 6, Edition to Avid Liquid and Avid Studio to PS21U), they have changed hands. Pinnacle to Avid to Corel. VMS to Magix is about the same. Pinnacle has had it's ups and downs with releases, but managed to fix them by .5. Is it good? Not really. That's why I posted what I did about bean counters. While I agree, having a stable product is what I want too, bean counters (marketing) control and set dates of release. They also, and rightly so to some extent, want something "new" on the package to differentiate their product from the ton of other consumer editors out there. Which looks better on the box... zillions of effects (useless or not) or... stability and less effects. To the average consumer, they'll buy what they think will give them the most for their money. We all do it. The consumer editor field is hugely crowded.

I've waited for the patch to release, and now wait for consumer feedback before I buy. I use VP 15 Suite and Pinnacle for editing. I use the right tool for the job I am doing. Lots that Pinnacle does that VP doesn't, and vice versa.

alderny wrote on 3/22/2018, 12:47 PM

They also, and rightly so to some extent, want something "new" on the package to differentiate their product from the ton of other consumer editors out there. Which looks better on the box... zillions of effects (useless or not) or... stability and less effects. To the average consumer, they'll buy what they think will give them the most for their money. We all do it. The consumer editor field is hugely crowded...

In my experience, young people are not interested in video editing, unless in a professional capacity. I believe that most purchasers of NLEs are older people who have already used an editor or two. I also think that if one software vendor marketed an NLE that was stable and fast, they would gain an enviable reputation among the experienced users and sell more of their product. I believe that stability and speed would triumph over all the gimmicks.

Reyfox wrote on 3/22/2018, 1:15 PM

I agree with you. I would rather have a fast and stable program to work with for hours on end that doesn't have issues than to have something with a ton of stuff that is problematic. But like I said, the field is very crowded for consumer editors. I don't have info of the age demographics of those that purchase editors, but I know people of all ages that have them and use them. That's why "more" is a marketing sales thing. And it works. Read the reviews with features and comparisons. That's what internet savy shoppers do.

Is having "more" the right thing? Yes, if it comes with stability. No, if it doesn't. At least for "me".

Dr Zen wrote on 3/22/2018, 5:50 PM

Dr Zen.... I guess you are still at the point of either/or Boris 3D or Film Style Units still? I can not have one program "corrupt" another. I would buy VMS15, but if it is going to mess up boris 3D, I'll wait.

As soon as I hear back from Boris FX Support, I will post their reply back here.

I have finally received a reply from Boris FX Support. Their answer is short and to the point!
"Unfortunately you can not have V11 and V10 filters running at the same time. You will need to upgrade the V 10 license to V11."

Just to re-cap on what that originally problem was.
Vegas Pro 15 upgrade includes Boris Continuum 3D Objects Unit (BCC OFX 10 Installer)
Vegas Movie Studio 15 Suite includes Boris Continuum Film Style Unit (BCC OFX 11 Installer)

If you are someone who like myself who uses both versions of Vegas Pro and Vegas Movie Studio Platinum on the same computer, you are basically in an impossible situation when it comes to "bonus" plugins that are included with different versions of Vegas. Obviously Boris FX is the party calling the all the shots here. It's a shame they could not have used some common sense and provided the V10 installer with Vegas Movie Studio 15 Suite - then both plugins would work on the same computer.

Reyfox wrote on 3/22/2018, 6:04 PM

Dr Zen, that is really bad bad news. That explains a lot of the problems I've had when trying the VMS15 trial version, then going back to VP15 Suite not having Boris 3D any more. This is terrible. If I had a choice, it will be VP15 over VMS15. I would like Boris Film Style though.

Thanks for the update and bad news.

One thing though. I recently bought Continuum Beauty Studio which is OFX 11 installer and it plays nice with 3D Objects. They both are there and working. Strange that Film Style will not work.

Dr Zen wrote on 3/22/2018, 6:29 PM

One thing though. I recently bought Continuum Beauty Studio which is OFX 11 installer and it plays nice with 3D Objects. They both are there and working. Strange that Film Style will not work.

I don't know this for sure, but I think/guess the "bonus plugin" installers from Boris FX (that are packaged with Vegas) have been changed to behave in a different way, compared to "paid" versions of the same installers.
Basically, if you pay, everything will work and you can have different versions installed.
If it's a "freebie" "bonus plugin", it comes with extra strings attached, that are designed to get you tied up in knots 🤓🙃🤑

robbif2 wrote on 3/22/2018, 6:47 PM

In my experience, young people are not interested in video editing, unless in a professional capacity. I believe that most purchasers of NLEs are older people who have already used an editor or two.

This reminds me of my similar frustration, although I'm 98% amateur/volunteer, own a $50 stupidphone, and love what I do, but wonder if some of my younger audience doesn't care if I dissolve between 3 "real" camcorders, pan/zoom/cut artfully to the performance, and don't cut-cut-cut every 2 seconds or less, and create a 16:9 instead of a 10:50... Sigh! ...Thanks, I fell better now.

Reyfox wrote on 3/23/2018, 6:31 AM

I don't know this for sure, but I think/guess the "bonus plugin" installers from Boris FX (that are packaged with Vegas) have been changed to behave in a different way, compared to "paid" versions of the same installers.
Basically, if you pay, everything will work and you can have different versions installed.
If it's a "freebie" "bonus plugin", it comes with extra strings attached, that are designed to get you tied up in knots 🤓🙃🤑

I could agree with that. But why have it wreck everything in the process. For those like me who have VP15 and would like VMS15 now have to make a choice. Do I really want/need the features of VMS15 Platinum more than the functionality of VP15 Suite. It's a no brainer for "me", and a loss of a sale to Magix. After I finally got VP15 back to "normal", I won't bother trying to see if I can get VMS to first, install and actually work, and second, not corrupt VP15 Suite.

Magix should really look into this....

3POINT wrote on 3/23/2018, 7:34 AM

I have also Vpro15 and VMS15 installed on my editing PC. Never had an issue that those versions interfere with the other. I never use third party plugins, especially those of Newblue, except Prodad Mercalli 4 which I got with Vpro14 and which also works with VMS14 and VMS15.

Reyfox wrote on 3/23/2018, 7:53 AM

@3POINT, the problem seems to be something with the plugins. I bought VP15 Suite for the plugins. I would like to buy VMS Platinum for the plugins.

I have proDAD Vitascene V2 and several NBFX plugins working fine with VP15 and VP14.

AlanH wrote on 3/23/2018, 7:57 AM

Thanks, Mathias - Build 116 seems to have fixed the slow loading problem.

robbif2 wrote on 3/23/2018, 8:19 AM

I'll reinstall VMS15 Platinum and apply the patch once I'm confident the result does not affect/step on my production VMS14.
I'd appreciate any feedback on this issue.
Thanks everyone.

huskereurocat wrote on 3/23/2018, 4:30 PM

BTW, the little welcome box never comes up letting you start a new project or open an existing project. Anyone know where that went or how to activate it?

Menu "View/Extensions"

Actually it's the Welcome box being asked about which is something different. In MS14 it could be activated from Help\Welcome. But it's not there in MS15 so the short answer it has gone. I thought there was something missing when MS15 started but until this query didn't realise what it was.

Please bring back the welcome box. It makes returning to a recent project sooooooo much easier with it and starting a new project as well. Or maybe there is a setting that I'm failing to see. In the general preferences, you can set the number of recently used projects that are visible in the welcome box, but it doesn't do much good without a welcome box to see. Help!

tore-bahnson wrote on 3/23/2018, 5:15 PM

After some emailing back and forth with Magix and PayPal, I have now got a refund for MS15. I still keep the installation on my machine in trial mode, to see if a patch comes along that repairs what has to be considered an unusefull and broken update. A small hope was lit when I saw the annponcent of the new update (vegas-movie-studio-15-update-build-106-116--110830/). Downloaded and applied on my MS15 trial installation. Project loading was a fraction faster, but still hopelesly slow. And operating the program once a project is loaded is still impossible. Chops, freezes, halts, crashes.

Magix! What have you done to my wonderfull Sony Movie Studio Platinum? You have taken one of the worlds cream of the crop editors and trashed it to death. It is really so sad. The last couple of days I have downloaded and tried what I could get my hands on of editors - both freeware and trials of commercial ones - and NONE compares to Movie Studio. Of course I still have my MS14, that works like a peach, so my next project or two is safe, but some day in the near future new codecs, new OS'es and so on, will make an update necessary....One can hope that Sony by that time has bought back the rights to Movie Studio/Vegas and again can take proper care of it.

Aardvark wrote on 3/23/2018, 5:34 PM

. Project loading was a fraction faster, but still hopelesly slow. And operating the program once a project is loaded is still impossible. Chops, freezes, halts, crashes.

Magix! What have you done to my wonderfull Sony Movie Studio Platinum? You have taken one of the worlds cream of the crop editors and trashed it to death. It is really so sad. The last couple of days I have downloaded and tried what I could get my hands on of editors - both freeware and trials of commercial ones - and NONE compares to Movie Studio.

Well after just a few days of "learning curve" I'm well and truly "up to speed" with Davinci and am loving it. There are so many very nice features and a wonderful consistency to the user-interface so in light of your experience with the MS15 update, I think I've done the right thing.

One of the real unexpected bonuses is the render performance -- I'm getting 3x realtime (ie: 1 hour of video renders in just 20 minutes) on my moderately spec'd rig (with GX1060 video card) despite multiple video tracks, multiple effects, color balancing and such. I'm sure that MS15 would also provide a significant boost to render performance over MS14 but what I've got now works so I'm not going to "fix" it :-)

To be fair, for those who just want a step up from Movie Maker then Movie Studio may still be a good choice but from the perspective of an optimized workflow and getting the best results in the shortest time, I'm already sold on Davinci and am now playing with Fusion.

tore-bahnson wrote on 5/27/2018, 6:26 AM

Some good news after all! Some days ago I completed a big Windows 10 update (version 1803), and tried subsequently to reinstall MSP15, just to see if the update could have some positive effects. And much to my surprise MSP15 now ran smoothly, and behaved just as good as MSP14 - maybe even better.
Apparently some combination of Windows update 1803 and Movie Studio 15 update 116 just did the trick! Now I just hope it will keep!

EricLNZ wrote on 9/16/2018, 3:14 AM

Some way to disable header events in MSP15?

Well I've accidentally done it. Opened a project from a blank project and the Event Headers weren't there. The icons were on the event just as in MS14. I had to double check to make sure I hadn't opened the project in MS14 by mistake. On going to Window layouts I changed the layout and the headers reappeared. On changing back to my original layout the headers stayed so whatever I did to make them disappear is a mystery. Maybe a keyboard combination?

clifford-moore wrote on 10/27/2018, 12:44 PM

I accidentally removed some of the original audio from a few video events. How do I restore the original audio to the video event? TIA