VEGAS Movie Studio 16 Release & Update 1 - General Discussion

VEGAS_CommunityManager wrote on 2/11/2019, 3:04 AM

VEGAS Movie Studio 16 has been released and we have released builds 108 & 109. Please give us your feedback in this thread.

If you have an earlier build installed, there is no need to uninstall it. The new builds will overwrite your installation and retain your settings. Your computer will need to be online for activation after the update.

Official release with feature list

Product page VEGAS Movie Studio 16

Patch notes Update 1 (build 108 & 109)

Comments

FayFen wrote on 2/11/2019, 8:55 AM

Well, I'm not a VMS expert, not even a novice but by reading the product page and reviewing the trial for few hours I can't see any improvements in the "bread and butter" of editing tools

** I guess it's not new but it does support RTL type text nicely

3POINT wrote on 2/11/2019, 2:52 PM

How do I resize thumbnails? I cannot find this new feature.

gary-rebholz wrote on 2/11/2019, 3:01 PM

@3POINT,

How do I resize thumbnails? I cannot find this new feature.

Hold the Ctrl key and roll your mouse wheel. Same as in other windows like the Explorer, VideoFX, etc.

Nel. wrote on 2/11/2019, 3:04 PM

Does the new version of Movie studio 16 have a choice of panels colors... black or white.... ?

gary-rebholz wrote on 2/11/2019, 3:16 PM

@Nel.,

Does the new version of Movie studio 16 have a choice of panels colors... black or white.... ?

The basic version of VEGAS Movie Studio 16 does not have that option. VEGAS Movie Studio Platinum has the option of either Dark or Light which you can find in the Display Preferences tab (that was introduced in version 15).

Nel. wrote on 2/11/2019, 4:29 PM

Thank you.. now I can upgrade....

Malix82 wrote on 2/12/2019, 4:35 AM

must say, overall nothing much changed when compared to latest VMSP 15 build. --EDIT: in regards of my workflow. This was really badly thought out comment.

Though few bugs/unwanted features got introduced.

* every time I try to click "Project media" tab, the whole application turns unresponsive until I move focus to taskbar/other app and back.

* there is no more tree-view for transitions/video fx tabs. EVERYTHING is shown as tiles, without a search. eg: VMSP 15 vs VMSP 16 - this is not an enhancement to the user interface. At least put the search -input back.

gary-rebholz wrote on 2/12/2019, 8:37 AM

@Malix82,

must say, overall nothing much changed when compared to latest VMSP 15 build.

Ha. It sounds like you actively want to see us fail! There is a long list of new features in VMS 16 including features that this community has long been asking for like Motion Tracking, state-of-the-art video stabilization, Bézier masking, storyboarding, modes, and more including a bunch of small editing features you've asked for. Honestly, I hate to be rude, but I really don't get where that comment comes from or what you hope to accomplish by posting it here.

Well, anyway, your comment about the tree view actually is quite a useful comment, so thanks for that. It's important input, and I will definitely take it into consideration.

As for problems when you click the Project Media tab, clearly something odd is happening there. If no one here has any advice for you on that, I suggest you contact the Tech Support team to see if they can help you through that. I'm sorry you're seeing a problem there.

As for other readers, I hope you will actually look into the long list of new features before you take the quote above as guidance. There are actually a ton of new features in this version. You can always download a trial and try it for 30 days without charge, so if the comment above gives you pause (as I can understand that it might), at least download the free trial and give it a try to make your own determination.

Malix82 wrote on 2/12/2019, 9:11 AM

@Malix82,

must say, overall nothing much changed when compared to latest VMSP 15 build.

Ha. It sounds like you actively want to see us fail! There is a long list of new features in VMS 16 including features that this community has long been asking for like Motion Tracking, state-of-the-art video stabilization, Bézier masking, storyboarding, modes, and more including a bunch of small editing features you've asked for. Honestly, I hate to be rude, but I really don't get where that comment comes from or what you hope to accomplish by posting it here.

Ah, nothing of the sort, sorry. Did not mean anything mean with that! Shouldn't post on the internet before coffee. Not an excuse, but it's the only one I have. :)

I really meant that in regards of my workflow, which is a bit simple/straightforward anyway. Drop x amount of clips, cut the slack, annotate and render. Like between VMSP 14 -> 15 jump there were interface changes & hevc hardware encoder support which helped me.

But now that you mention it, the motion tracking definitely could be really handy. So far I've been keyframing the PIP effect to point stuff on screen, for example.

You weren't rude, I was just a derp. I had that one coming.

Well, anyway, your comment about the tree view actually is quite a useful comment, so thanks for that. It's important input, and I will definitely take it into consideration.

Awesome, thanks!

As for problems when you click the Project Media tab, clearly something odd is happening there. If no one here has any advice for you on that, I suggest you contact the Tech Support team to see if they can help you through that. I'm sorry you're seeing a problem there.

That one was a bit odd, it persisted between existing projects (from VMSP15) and completely new ones in VMSP16, and between multiple restarts of the application & reloading the default ui layout. Could it be possible VMSP16 got glitched as I was using VMSP15 in the background to see if my projects worked properly in the new one?

gary-rebholz wrote on 2/12/2019, 9:22 AM

Well, and I should know better than to read the forums before my morning tranquilizer! No problem. I completely get what you're saying about your basic workflow not seeming to change much. A lot of what we've done is aimed to help new users, but I'm hoping there's still enough improvement in there for those of you who have experience in the application too. Take a look at some of the small workflow things (like ignoring event grouping, warning when you delete a track that has an event on it, and others like that). Hopefully you'll find some stuff in there that will help you work faster too. It sounds like Motion Tracking could really help you, so check that out. It's the same as we implemented in VEGAS Pro 16 (though functionally a bit limited from that) and it's gotten rave reviews from users of the pro application.

I don't think that your Project Media problem is related to having both 15 and 16 open at the same time. That shouldn't have any impact at all. It is indeed odd, but maybe somebody has seen something similar.

Malix82 wrote on 2/12/2019, 10:45 AM

I think I managed to fix the project media -tab. Reset the layout (yet again), clicked "power user mode" (yet again) from the dashboard and... the project media tab now looks more or less identical to what it looked in VMSP15 and doesn't cause the user interface to lock up.

Before this reset & power user mode it looked kinda like the "main timeline" folder, but tighter and red for some reason.

I am confused, but happy it managed to straighten itself out. :)

altarvic wrote on 2/12/2019, 2:26 PM

First run: hangs on this step ⬆️

3POINT wrote on 2/12/2019, 2:41 PM

@altarvic Do you have plugins installed from NewBlue?

altarvic wrote on 2/12/2019, 2:54 PM

Yes, NewBlueFX Stabilizer and Titler Pro 6

3POINT wrote on 2/12/2019, 3:13 PM

@altarvic I had this problem once with an earlier release of VMS. I can't remember the solution, but you can try to start VMS16 with Ctrl+Shift keys pressed, to reset VMS and clear any settings

TDK wrote on 2/12/2019, 3:49 PM

Hi, I have a few questions. I've been using MS since version 8 and done thousands of videos since then. Thank you very much for making such a great software. I have recomended it to everyone starting editing videos. I have a small scale YT channel and I do things with MS that nobody else in my field is able to.

Now I just upgraded to v16. The one I stuck the longest with was 13. It had some drawbacks but I learned to live with them. For instance you had to go and change editing tool from a tool bar. Anyway, upgraded to 14 and it was a disappointment. Went back to 13. Upgraded to 15 and it too was a bit of a disappointment since all of a sudden it took a whole minute to open MS. With version 13 it opened in a few seconds. My v 13 stopped working so I continued with 15 and tried to live with the start drawback. Here are my couple of questions from just fooling around with the basic functions I'm used to:

1. Why does it take so long for my MS to start up?

2. Why is MS crashing in version 15 and 16 all the time? Version 13 never crashed!

3. When trying to add effects all are shown in thumbnails. For me this is inconvenient since I now have to scroll back and forth between thumbnails instead of choosing Vegas effects and from there chose wanted effect from a list that fitted on my display. For sure there must be a setting which turns it "classic" again.

4. In the effects window I see a lot of effects but I cannot use them. For instance BCC effects. Why is this? Now I also have to scroll past them every time.

5. What happened to the effect Leave Color? One of the coolest effects.

6. I cannot move the small window with the Picture-in-picture from the center of the screen.

7. The Slide Show functionality changed as I moved to version 15. Its the same in 16. Cannot choose how the pictures come into view. Seems I'm missing one screen where all this functionality was located.

8. I'm missing more text options. Would like to be able to make text's on the screen with small back ground boxes and graphics. Now its just plain text.

9. At some point I was able to select media on the timeline by just selecting a rectangle on the timeline with the mouse. I miss that since it made it very easy to choose and drag certain parts of the media to an other location.

10. You have a million rendering options but you never explain witch one to use. I have had to test me through lots of them before I found something that works for me.

Lets start with these 10 questions first. One more time, thanks for a great software.

reg

Tom / Triggerboy62 (YT)

walter-i. wrote on 2/12/2019, 4:19 PM

The new features sound really good.
Does anybody know if velocity envelope is now included? I did not read anything in the announcement.

vkmast wrote on 2/12/2019, 6:05 PM

@TDK for starters (re MSP 16)

2. Read first section 1 here.

3. See second paragraph. Plug-In Chooser windows still have the tree view option that is currently missing from Transitions/ Video FX/ Media Generator windows.

4. May be incompatible bundled FX from previous versions.

5. (e.g.) Hitfilm FX that may not be compatible with the version.

6. Open the video effect window, expand the OFX folder and choose the Picture-in-Picture effect. Help (F1) item is "Picture in Picture".

7. Click "Add pictures" and proceed from the window that opens.

8. Search "Lower Thirds". (Legacy Text plug-in is currently hidden, but not totally removed)

9. Selection Edit Tool is still available.

10. Make Movie windows give you clues. See e.g. advice on Formats in "Save it to hard drive" and then go from there to Advanced options > Render as and see template infos for many of the Formats Templates.

vkmast wrote on 2/12/2019, 6:06 PM

walter-i. wrote on 2/13/2019

Is Velocity envelope now included in the new version?

No, it is still only a Vegas Pro feature.

gary-rebholz wrote on 2/12/2019

Take a look at some of the small workflow things (like ignoring event grouping ---

In addition to the "Ignore Event Grouping" feature, you can now "Temporarily Ignore Event Grouping".  When editing move an event with the mouse holding down both (left and right) mouse buttons

walter-i. wrote on 2/13/2019, 3:54 AM

walter-i. wrote on 2/13/2019

Is Velocity envelope now included in the new version?

No, it is still only a Vegas Pro feature.

Thanks @vkmast

Too bad, a feature that I like to use a lot - and the only one that really keeps me from switching from Vegas Pro to Movie Studio 😢.
But it's good for Magix's wallet 😉.

h-g wrote on 2/13/2019, 11:19 AM

Hello The MPEG 4 AVC / HEVC codec doesn't work with the NVEncoder !!!! No problem with Intel QSV

EricLNZ wrote on 2/14/2019, 4:31 AM

* there is no more tree-view for transitions/video fx tabs. EVERYTHING is shown as tiles, without a search. eg: VMSP 15 vs VMSP 16 - this is not an enhancement to the user interface. At least put the search -input back.

It's the same with the Media Generator pane. VMS 15 and previous were much better as you could see the thumbs for the various presets available like for example with solid colours, the colours available. I'm finding the current setup a backward step.

vkmast wrote on 2/14/2019, 4:35 AM

See the second paragraph.

EricLNZ wrote on 2/14/2019, 4:46 AM

See the second paragraph.

I had. Just hoping that if enough complain it might get done. How's the saying go "It's the squeaky door that gets oiled"?