Comments

Dexcon wrote on 7/17/2022, 8:29 AM

You might want to do a better quality upload because the smaller print in the current upload is next to illegible.

Historically, 'sneak peeks' and the like should only be treated as teasers - details only being released at the time of the new version's official release.

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX100E; GoPro Hero 11 Black Creator Edition

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 2TB Samsung 990 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

E: drive: 2TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD

F: drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

Dell Ultrasharp 32" 4K Color Calibrated Monitor

robbif2 wrote on 7/17/2022, 8:51 AM

Thanks. I understand this is very early in the game. I knowingly posted a lo-res image, assuming others will receive the email and no details are included. I'm curious what others think - with all the complaints about the latest 19 build, what's going to happen next? And will "subscription" be the only way to get it?

Kinvermark wrote on 7/17/2022, 9:37 AM

My opinion FWIW 😁

1) Going to need to be a lot more than a white balance control & contrast control to entice me to upgrade. I expect there will be much more to announce closer to August, and

2) No chance of "subscription-only." That would kill Vegas' market - far too many other NLE options.

RogerS wrote on 7/17/2022, 11:08 PM

I don't see so many complaints about 19- works fine for most. Of course if it works fine people don't come to a forum to post about it so people with issues are over-represented here.

For 20 if they gave no new features and had better performance and stability I'd be happy.

It clearly isn't going to be subscription only.

Custom PC (2022) Intel i5-13600K with UHD 770 iGPU with latest driver, MSI z690 Tomahawk motherboard, 64GB Corsair DDR5 5200 ram, NVIDIA 2080 Super (8GB) with latest studio driver, 2TB Hynix P41 SSD, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

Dell XPS 15 laptop (2017) 32GB ram, NVIDIA 1050 (4GB) with latest studio driver, Intel i7-7700HQ with Intel 630 iGPU (latest available driver), dual internal SSD (1TB; 1TB), Windows 10 64 bit

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208

Try the
VEGAS 4K "sample project" benchmark (works with VP 16+): https://forms.gle/ypyrrbUghEiaf2aC7
VEGAS Pro 20 "Ad" benchmark (works with VP 20+): https://forms.gle/eErJTR87K2bbJc4Q7

Reyfox wrote on 7/18/2022, 8:21 AM

@RogerS, B643 has been terrible at RAM usage on my computer and others, almost pushing me back to VP18. As far as editing, it's been stable, and the search bar for Video FX, etc., is now as it should be. So, I will wait and see what VP20 brings to the table and download a trial version of VP20 to see if the RAM issue has been fixed.

But, I too would rather have improved timeline playback and performance fixes to make use of todays hardware. And to be competitive, stability is a must.

juafromspace wrote on 7/18/2022, 12:13 PM

Why do they list Brightness&Contrast in the color grading panel as new for Vegas 20? That's already in Vegas 19, not sure since which build, but at least it's in Build 643...

fr0sty wrote on 7/19/2022, 12:04 AM

There's more... The real game changers aren't even being talked about here. There's some things in there that are very much worth the asking price. However, when it comes to quantity of new features, remember, new features are no longer held back for new versions... some of the features that would usually have been held back for 20 were released for 19 as a result. 20 will continually be developed over the course of several updates that will launch throughout its lifespan, and many new features are going to be added with these updates.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

Seb-o wrote on 7/19/2022, 11:18 AM

There's more... The real game changers aren't even being talked about here....... new features, remember, ...new features ......... some of the features...and many new features are going to be added.........

Hello Frosty! Thanks for your ebullience and sunny optimism. And while I share some of that.....

Frosty, (and Gary, Magix/Vegas Derek,  Klaus Schmidt, et al) with all due respect, there IS NO GAME CHANGER without a MUCH smoother and faster and more robust/stable PLAYBACK. (ala Divinci) THAT IS THE "FEATURE" people have been asking for for twenty years. THAT is the "game changer." Everything else is, by comparison, BELLS AND WHISTLES. SHIFT B is a poor substitue for that, just btw.

fr0sty wrote on 7/19/2022, 12:59 PM

You're preaching to the choir. It's the one thing we're asking for too, and it has been made a priority moving forward, I've heard. That said, there are a number of other features that have been long needed just to keep up at things like color grading, project management, etc... There's also another big issue that has caused VEGAS to fall behind in an area it used to be #1 at that is finally being addressed.

As I said before, VEGAS 20 is going to be a work in progress across many updates, so not everything that is planned will be there on day one, but there's some really cool stuff coming, and they are trying to address as many key concerns as they can. They are listening, but some things take a while to pull off properly.

Last changed by fr0sty on 7/19/2022, 1:06 PM, changed a total of 4 times.

Systems:

Desktop

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

janndk wrote on 7/21/2022, 8:38 AM

Seems that there is now a little bit more news about VP20 🤓
https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/int/specials/presale/here-it-comes/

vkmast wrote on 7/21/2022, 8:48 AM

Linked on the main product page (or your area's version of that URL).

janndk wrote on 7/21/2022, 8:53 AM

Seems that there is now a little bit more news about VP20 🤓
https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/int/specials/presale/here-it-comes/

• File Drop for fast collaboration
  • Automatic project collections
  • Local project archives
  • Speech to Text functionality including automatic subtitle generation (official release - 365 subscribers only)
  • White Balance controls in the Color Grading Panel
  • Hue adjustment curves in the Color Grading Panel
  • VST3 Support for audio editing (beta)
  • VST 32-bit bridge (beta)
  • Optical Flow mode for Warp Flow and Smart Split
  • Real-time Optical Flow for the Slow Motion FX
  • Automatic region creation in Scene Detection
  • Honeycomb and Color Planes presets for GL transitions
pierre-k wrote on 7/21/2022, 10:31 AM

Honestly, nothing excited me about the list of features.

I was waiting for an innovation in the proxy, smooth playback. Some kind of revolution, please, when it's the twentieth version - luxurious champagne, caviar, boisterous celebrations

juafromspace wrote on 7/21/2022, 11:00 AM

Looking forward to the release and to learning what else will be coming over the whole release cycle - already placed a pre-order for the upgrade 😀

Reyfox wrote on 7/21/2022, 11:00 AM

@pierre-k everyone's needs might be different. For a friend of mine, VST3 support is a must, and having a bridge for 32bit VST is something he would really love. And then there are those that do collaborate. I've collaborated lightly, but it's not a must for me either, but to keep up with the other editors, yeah.

I'll wait until I see the actual release version, download the trial and see what happens.

fr0sty wrote on 7/21/2022, 11:13 AM

but to keep up with the other editors, yeah.

When it comes to Hub, it's the others that are playing catch up with VEGAS, but yeah.

VST3 support enables the king of audio in the NLE space to remain that way. VEGAS is finally a proper DAW again.

The HSL curves are a game changer for the VEGAS CGP. Now we can fine tune the "volume" of individual colors easily. The white balance slider has undergone extensive reworking from its original iteration to make it function more like we'd expect to see from other popular colorist apps.

File Drop is awesome... instantly back up your projects in a project archival system as soon as you click save, and then have the option to upload the project file and all relevant media to the cloud for collaboration (this is also what the notes feature that came with previous versions was for, so we editors can leave notes for each other on the timeline).

Lots of other quality of life improvements. It's been really cool watching the team respond to the beta team's suggestions on how to refine these features to not just keep up with the competition, but to do things the other folks aren't, or to do them more efficiently.

As for "give us performance and speed or give us death!", yes, I am with you here, and they're working hard on that (focusing on stability foremost), don't expect every effort in this regard to be 100% complete by launch day, as some of these things require extensive retooling under the hood... but VEGAS 20 is going to continually evolve with new features that are not on that list over the next several updates.

Last changed by fr0sty on 7/21/2022, 11:24 AM, changed a total of 5 times.

Systems:

Desktop

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

Evan-Powell wrote on 7/21/2022, 12:04 PM

VST3...FINALLY!!! :)

There is finally proof that there are audio improvements coming. Hopefully, there is more than just VST3, if not in the initial release of VP20, but maybe in a later update. I've made posts about audio improvement suggestions that I'll link here too for exposure ;)  Post 1Post 2, Post 3.

fr0sty wrote on 7/21/2022, 12:12 PM

It's definitely been a long time coming. I'm sure audio will get more love, but there's a ton of other stuff that needs it too, most notably performance and stability.

Systems:

Desktop

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

robbif2 wrote on 7/21/2022, 7:36 PM

Apologies for this naive question: I'm struggling with Pro19 and can't even afford the special price of 20. How much more and for how long will 19 be cleaned up?

fr0sty wrote on 7/21/2022, 8:05 PM

Unless there's a bug that is widespread, affecting a large number of users, it's unusual for updates for older versions to be released.

Systems:

Desktop

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

Former user wrote on 7/21/2022, 8:10 PM

@robbif2 Vegas15 and 17 had a single update after release of new Vegas, it is not normal though. If you consider a new vegas is just the old vegas but with new features, it should be possible to bug fix V19 when they fix the bugs from V19 in V20 release, and release a final V19.

fr0sty wrote on 7/21/2022, 11:41 PM

@robbif2 Vegas15 and 17 had a single update after release of new Vegas, it is not normal though. If you consider a new vegas is just the old vegas but with new features, it should be possible to bug fix V19 when they fix the bugs from V19 in V20 release, and release a final V19.

It isn't as straightforward as that... some bug fixes require extensive work under the hood that does things like break compatibility with older versions, among other challenges. With the team being as small as it is, it only makes sense to dedicate all resources to the product that is currently on the market, especially when the latest build of the previous version works just fine for the majority of users.

Last changed by fr0sty on 7/21/2022, 11:43 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Systems:

Desktop

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

pierre-k wrote on 7/22/2022, 12:00 AM

I admit that I don't understand it, but if nvidia and amd allow the gpu to play hevc and h624, is it such a problem to copy their code to SO4?

Why can't editing software play videos like Vlc or Potplayer? Just play them smoothly with GPU support. Has anyone tried it to see if it would work?

Or. How about trying the same way of implementation as they did in Davinci or Adobe?

Gopro videos have had gpu support banned for several years. That is not normal.

Will Vegas ever be able to support 4k Avc-long mxf? Is there any software that can do this?

What should SO4 be able to do once it is finally finished? Just h264 and hevc, or does it have higher goals?

Can someone please explain this age-old problem with smooth playback?

pierre-k wrote on 7/22/2022, 12:37 AM

When SO4 was first introduced, I was excited about it because it removed the slight jerkiness of the Avc when cutting between events. Unfortunately, the problem remained with all other codecs.