Getting black screen in a rendered video and screen preview

RoscoArm wrote on 9/10/2018, 5:08 AM

Hey everyone

Need a bit of help. This problem has been happening for me only recently on Sony Vegas Pro. So I've fully edited a gaming video that I do for YouTube, everything seems fine no issues. Then render the video but when I watch the video back after its rendered, half if not most of the video is black screen, but then for some unknown reason it then carries on into the screen preview as well. I've tried a few things to see if it would fix, it kind of did but not a great deal. There is no issue with my footage that I use. I don't know where to go from here. I run Sony Vegas 16 Pro on my laptop. I had a little issue with Sony Vegas 15 as well (even though I had it for a couple of days). I'm not sure if there is a bug issue with the program or not, but any help would be appreciated

Comments

john_dennis wrote on 9/10/2018, 8:39 AM

The fix is easy. Scroll to the top of this page and click on the Sony link. You’re on the wrong support forum for your software.

vkmast wrote on 9/10/2018, 9:59 AM

If you get lost, please read this post. There are also FAQ posts you may want to read, e.g. here and esp. here.

RoscoArm wrote on 9/10/2018, 4:22 PM

My apologies, I think I meant MAGIX Vegas 16 Pro, not Sony Vegas Pro 16. I got a bit confused. Hope this helps

Haena wrote on 9/10/2018, 9:28 PM

Try disabling so4compundplug.dll. Follow the steps in the link below.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/avc-xavc-s-issues-in-vp15-try-disabling-so4compoundplug-dll--108345/?page=1

This will make your videos render slower but it might fix your black screen problem.

Kinvermark wrote on 9/10/2018, 9:42 PM

How does someone BUY Vegas Pro 16 from Magix and not notice it isn't SONY? It isn't possible....unless?

Wolfgang S. wrote on 9/11/2018, 4:11 AM

Is that important really? I mean, to recognize that a product that has been owned by Sony for long time and is now owned by Magix? Not really, I think.

More important - what is the issue that results in black Frames? Please give us more informations, what Kind of Information is listed here:

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/de/forum/important-information-required-to-help-you--110457/

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti * Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE, 32 GB Ram. Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB) with internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor. Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

HDR monitor: ProArt Monitor PA32 UCG, Atomos Sumo

RoscoArm wrote on 9/11/2018, 4:36 AM

Honestly, I don't know. Everything seems fine when I'm working on a project. Something obviously occurs while its rendering, then once it finishes I look back at the rendered video I think the video is fine then like I said part of if not most of it is black footage, and then it carries over to the program

EricLNZ wrote on 9/11/2018, 6:31 AM

Rosco, you are going to have to provide some information, as per Wolfgang's link, if anyone is going to be able to help you.

VEGASPascal wrote on 9/11/2018, 7:45 AM

Hey everyone

Need a bit of help. This problem has been happening for me only recently on Sony Vegas Pro. So I've fully edited a gaming video that I do for YouTube, everything seems fine no issues. Then render the video but when I watch the video back after its rendered, half if not most of the video is black screen, but then for some unknown reason it then carries on into the screen preview as well. I've tried a few things to see if it would fix, it kind of did but not a great deal. There is no issue with my footage that I use. I don't know where to go from here. I run Sony Vegas 16 Pro on my laptop. I had a little issue with Sony Vegas 15 as well (even though I had it for a couple of days). I'm not sure if there is a bug issue with the program or not, but any help would be appreciated

Thanks for your feedback and please ignore the joke about Sony or Magix. We need more information about this bug. My first answer would be to chose a different render settings (maybe no GPU accelerated render). Maybe it would be also helpful to update you GPU driver (please do not use the Windows driver, use the drivers provided by Nvidea or the others). If this is no help we need more information to reproduce the bug.

RoscoArm wrote on 9/11/2018, 8:57 AM

Video Preferences

General preferences. Now I've unticked the 4th box down

I'm going to try the earlier option from Haena and see if its any different, otherwise if it still continues, I'll try get some screenshots/footage

Wolfgang S. wrote on 9/11/2018, 9:11 AM

Project Settings - and properties of your footage?

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti * Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE, 32 GB Ram. Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB) with internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor. Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

HDR monitor: ProArt Monitor PA32 UCG, Atomos Sumo

Gediminas wrote on 9/11/2018, 12:16 PM

Project Settings - and properties of your footage?

I have this issue too, fix is to reopen project and it works again.

I will record the screen with OBS next time it will happen.

This "black preview and rendering" is known issue and it happens randomly on random systems regardless off the settings, GPU acceleration or drivers, but only on Vegas Pro.

If you will open perfectly working Vegas Movie Studio project on Vegas Pro 13, 14, 15, 16, you can encounter this issue.

I have googled this issue and found a lot of discussions and attempts to solve it, but so far no workable solution.

Kinvermark wrote on 9/11/2018, 1:44 PM

IIRC there have been quite a few reports of problems with media from screen capture programs. Nick Hope posted recommended settings for OBS in the FAQ's

I used to get this with cineform files, and very rarely with Magic YUV, but not recently. Someone several years ago wrote about it being related to GUID for the media, but that conversation was above my head.

john_dennis wrote on 9/11/2018, 1:57 PM

A Mediainfo report and/or a sample of the source files would be invaluable.

Most of the time I’m not the jokester. Most of the time I’m as as serious as a heart attack.

Former user wrote on 9/11/2018, 2:46 PM

what is version number of obs you're using?

RoscoArm wrote on 9/11/2018, 4:21 PM

I don't use OBS to record my footage. I use Elgato Game Capture HD Version 3.70.7 (3007) 64-bit

Kinvermark wrote on 9/11/2018, 6:14 PM

At this point we can only guess. Need that mediainfo report. And project settings. And render settings...

My guess: either the Elgato files need to be "sanitized" (you could try running them through handbrake) or as pascal-k said, try a different render format.

o2deprived wrote on 11/12/2018, 10:07 PM

This applies to black-preview-screen only. I have had the black-preview-screen issue since Vegas 15...14 was fine, then when I upgraded to 15 it wasn't. Unfortunately, at the time, I couldn't associate it with any particular change to the system, so chalked it up to something in the GPU acceleration since disabling acceleration fixed the preview display issue, but was an unacceptable compromise IMO. I did find a fix online somewhere for my issue. Turn on overlays in the preview window -- BAM! I then enable grid overlay and then change the grid settings in Options > Video to 1 x 1. I still have acceleration and don't have annoying overlay grid in day-to-day.

Fast forward to the trial version of 16 I just installed and the problem persists -- grid overlay fixed it...

Then I got an idea to try setting my GPU card settings directly for the application (I recently had to do this while playing No Man's Sky). I have two video cards and looking at my Windows task manager, I found Vegas was rendering via GPU1 (my secondary card gt1030) instead of GPU0 (gtx980). In Nvidia ControlPanel > 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings, then switch to the program settings tab. "Add" a program entry for Vegas and force Cuda-GPUs and OpenGL rendering GPU to my 980 vice 1030. This seems to have fixed it all up and I no longer have to be in grid overlay mode. Both 15 and 16 seem to work fine now.

David-Frank wrote on 10/1/2020, 8:38 PM

Sadly, this issue is still an issue and I think it's a HUGE problem. Maybe I'm just running out of patience, but I bought the latest Vs 18 and updated it, For the life of me I can't get a clean render for a project that is critical and now I'm getting backlogged. The year is now 2020, I see this is an issue that has been part of Vegas since roughly 2015. Anybody have a simple fix. This project is too large to reload all the clips. Sorry for the rant, Hope someone has some ideas and more importantly a FIX.

Musicvid wrote on 10/1/2020, 8:55 PM

Please start your own thread by describing your issue thoroughly and providing the following information. Treating all issues as if they are one is 100% ineffective.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/important-information-required-to-help-you--110457/

crazyapple wrote on 10/21/2020, 5:15 PM

I will create my own thread. But would just like to reiterate what David-Frank mentioned. I was using Vegas 14 file. Recently upgraded to Vegas 18, and can't get a simple render of simple image slideshow project to work. preview window goes black at 44% & render itself freezes at 63%, only option then is to kill Vegas. I've tried suggestions about disabling openCL, So4 etc., no luck. This is seriously a nightmare.