VEGAS Pro 21 Build 208 General Thread

VEGAS_CommunityManager wrote on 12/11/2023, 12:24 PM

Hello everyone,

The VEGAS Team is excited to announce the release of VEGAS Pro 21, build 208. Please use this thread to post general comments on this update. For details on VEGAS Pro 21, please read this post in the News forum.

If you are having any issues using the update or have specific questions, please create a new thread.

Thank you,

The VEGAS Creative Software Team

Comments

J-Toresen wrote on 12/11/2023, 12:41 PM

Downloaded the update to Norway in five seconds. Impressive!

Jøran Toresen

Howard-Vigorita wrote on 12/11/2023, 5:56 PM

Have not been able to edit projects containing footage from a Canon xf305 with vp21 since build 187... reported repeatedly. Was hoping this update would fix it. Here's me helplessly hoping...

fr0sty wrote on 12/11/2023, 6:00 PM

You didn't do the same thing in both apps, though... you opened the project in 16, in 21 you dropped the .veg onto the timeline. What does it do when you try to open the project the normal way?

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

Howard-Vigorita wrote on 12/11/2023, 6:05 PM

@fr0sty Negative on that. I opened it from the Vegas history list in vp21. But not having done so before, I right-clicked in the Vegas explorer in vp16. Every version of Vegas (vp20 to vp16) on that machine opens that project containing nothing but the clip with ease. As does Resolve and vp21 build 108. Even vp14 on an older machine.

Former user wrote on 12/11/2023, 7:50 PM

Canon related, VP21b208 still doesn't play this file correctly uploaded by a Vegas customer (truncated) No problem with video, but there is no audio.

Complete name                           A014C224_230309RQ_CANON.MXF
Format                                   : MXF
Format version                           : 1.3
Format profile                           : OP-1a
Format settings                          : Closed / Complete
Overall bit rate                         : 399 Mb/s
Writing application                      : CANON EOS R5 C 1.00

Video
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High 4:2:2 Intra@L5.1

Audio #1
ID                                       : 3
Format                                   : PCM
Format settings                          : Little
Format settings, wrapping mode           : Frame (AES)
Codec ID                                 : 0D01030102060300

So what might a customer do? They might rewrap it to mov. But that still doesn't fix the problem

Media info reports this, which I think Vegas doesn't like and won't load the file.

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : aivx
Codec ID                                 : aivx

Other editors have no problem with either the original or the rewrap

You should help people trying to help themselves not put in another obstacle.

Jessariah67 wrote on 12/12/2023, 7:48 AM

Anything MKV now freezes up VP21. Even clicking a file in Vegas' explorer. Was just running MKVs like a dream previously.

pierre-k wrote on 12/12/2023, 9:29 AM

Anything MKV now freezes up VP21. Even clicking a file in Vegas' explorer. Was just running MKVs like a dream previously.

Opening MKV is a nightmare in VEGAS. One does not know whether Vegas is working or frozen. It is best to decompress the MKV using Shutter Encode or Xmedia Recode without recompression and insert the video and audio into Vegas separately.

sur1to.edit wrote on 12/12/2023, 11:14 AM

Effects added to a adjustment event look weird when setting the preview to "Preview automatic" however setting the preview to "Best" looks correct.

Limnetik wrote on 12/12/2023, 8:46 PM

Hello, for build 208 of Vegas Pro crashes upon startup while building ui message. Tried CTRL+shift start=nothing better. Uninstalled 2 times & reinstalled. Nothing works around crash on startup, except roll back to build187. Windows 11 latest on Nvidia RTX3080ti.

zzzzzz9125 wrote on 12/13/2023, 4:10 AM

Effects added to a adjustment event look weird

@sur1to.edit Are all FX like this or are only some third-party plug-ins like this?

I think he's using something like S_BlurMoCurves, because I've had the same problem with all the sapphire plugins

Sol-Sol wrote on 12/14/2023, 1:32 AM

Okay guys I just downloaded the update now my Vegas Pro 21 has a error code -59 what do this mean. It was working fine before I try to update it.

vkmast wrote on 12/14/2023, 3:05 AM

@Sol-Sol https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/support/article/troubleshooting-error-59-16xx-and-account-already-exists--537/

You'll find related threads if you search (Find...) for this exact phrase: "error code -59"

VEGASSteve wrote on 12/14/2023, 5:12 AM

Hello @Former user there should not be a general problem with PCM in MXF files, my test footage shows no problem. It would be very helpful to have a sample file, that shows the problem. MXF features a large variety of sub formats, that might be the case here.

VEGASSteve wrote on 12/14/2023, 5:14 AM

Hello @Jessariah67, @pierre-k it would be really helpful to have a sample file that does not work. There are some types of MKV that miss seek information (cue). So it is very difficult to handle them with free frame access. Maybe they do some kind of lengthy pre-processing. If I could have a look at the file, I could do further investigation.

pierre-k wrote on 12/14/2023, 6:35 AM

Hello @Jessariah67, @pierre-k it would be really helpful to have a sample file that does not work. There are some types of MKV that miss seek information (cue). So it is very difficult to handle them with free frame access. Maybe they do some kind of lengthy pre-processing. If I could have a look at the file, I could do further investigation.

@VEGASSteve

Hi Steve
It's hard to send a sample file.

What I have a problem with:
Sometimes I needed to create Czech 5.1 sound for the original film, or add another sound from another source to the film and compare the lengths and volume in Vegas.

If an MKV is for example two hours long and contains AC3 and DTS, it is impossible for Vegas to be successful in opening such a file.
The whole process takes an awfully long time and Vegas appears to be frozen.

But if I first disassemble the MKV into an mp4 image without recompression and 5.1 channel wav sound in Xmedia Recode, then the opening in Vegas is immediate.

Use classic MKV movies as test MKV files (Matrix, San Andreas, anything similar in length)

Solution proposal for multichannel DTS and AC3 in MKV:
It would be ideal if Vegas had natively a similar converter like Xmedia Recode or Shuter Encoder and could offer conversion of AC3 and DTS formats to multichannel WAV. Also missing is the MKV audio track selection menu.

My draft notification:
MKV contains these DTS and AC3 tracks. Choose which ones you want to convert to WAV.

Here, if I click on the file just once:

Here, if I want to import or open a file:

VEGASSteve wrote on 12/14/2023, 7:24 AM

That's quite likely as described above, those movie files are made for seamless streaming playback, (frame accurate) access on any position is not useful implemented here. So the app tries to parse each frame from begin to end, which may also happen not only once, so it will freeze in the end as seen in the screen record.

Here the best solution is as described - convert to MP4, this format will contain a frame table for each frame nativ, so we can work better with this. The MP4 overhead should not be much, compared to MKV. An internal conversation tool would be however a good idea, I'll spread the idea further 😌

pierre-k wrote on 12/14/2023, 7:39 AM

@VEGASSteve

MKV to MP4 conversion without recompression in Shuter Encoder and Xmedia Recode takes seconds. If Vegas had such a converter that would work in the background while loading MKVs, that would be great. But I'm just a layman. I do not understand that. :-)

Jessariah67 wrote on 12/14/2023, 10:16 AM

First let me explain more, because this might be something linked to the "Vegas doesn't like this file anymore" thing that I run into from time to time.

Previous build 187 was taking MKVs just fine (these are ALL generated from OBS). I had JUST dragged 3 MKV files into another instance of Vegas. I open another veg (template), go to drag four files onto the timeline, and window's does that hang up thing - but it just stayed hung up. I literally saw the 208 update when I rebooted, so I updated. Opened the same veg template file (after restart), and it hung up when I tried to drag ONE of the files over. Opened it again. Completely NEW instance of Vegas. tried to drag ONE file over. Hang.

Tried to choose the file in Vegas' explorer. Hangs. Try to open from the file menu into a new timeline. Vegas hangs as soon as I click on the file in the open window.

I HAVE been able to add an MKV to another project. But the same "hang" happened when I dragged a second file over before it finished building the beaks for the one it took.

And, once Vegas doesn't like a file, no instance/project file of it will take the file in any way.

But I can still open files that already had the MKVs in them and working.

I can still send an MKV file, but I doubt it would have any differences to an MKV that was recorded right before it and was taken just fine.

Thanks for the help!

RogerS wrote on 12/14/2023, 10:40 AM

Uploading a problem file with build 208 is a good idea.

Custom PC (2022) Intel i5-13600K with UHD 770 iGPU with latest driver, MSI z690 Tomahawk motherboard, 64GB Corsair DDR5 5200 ram, NVIDIA 2080 Super (8GB) with latest studio driver, 2TB Hynix P41 SSD, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

Dell XPS 15 laptop (2017) 32GB ram, NVIDIA 1050 (4GB) with latest studio driver, Intel i7-7700HQ with Intel 630 iGPU (latest available driver), dual internal SSD (1TB; 1TB), Windows 10 64 bit

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208

Try the
VEGAS 4K "sample project" benchmark: https://forms.gle/ypyrrbUghEiaf2aC7
VEGAS Pro 20 "Ad" benchmark: https://forms.gle/eErJTR87K2bbJc4Q7

Former user wrote on 12/14/2023, 5:39 PM

Hello @Former user there should not be a general problem with PCM in MXF files, my test footage shows no problem. It would be very helpful to have a sample file, that shows the problem. MXF features a large variety of sub formats, that might be the case here.

@VEGASSteve Here's the file https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/509x9n688lmlh2a2w230e/A014C224_230309RQ_CANON.MXF?rlkey=107ns2oo3px20ev93st10x1jl&dl=0

Problem is the audio, and also how a basic rewrap using shutter encoder to other formats doesn't work. Shutter encoder it'self seems to be the problem for rewrap to mp4, but Vegas the problem for rewrap to mov. You can get this working by rewrapping to mp4 while re-encoding audio to AAC, and that would be an obvious step for some, but not everyone.

VEGASSteve wrote on 12/15/2023, 5:23 AM

Hello @Former user, thank you for providing the media file. I think, this was temporary broken in beta. In current state the file imports correctly with four audio tracks.