Audio Echo Issue

Synne wrote on 6/23/2020, 1:12 PM

Hey,

so I am fairly new to audio editing and hope someone can help me. I am recording some game play where I play with others, one of these people are in the room with me while recording and sometimes my mic will pick him up, in addition his own mic will be recorded. So I of course then get this echo effect, or his audio is doubled, where one is slightly delayed.

I can already imagine there is nothing really to do about this, it just would be sad to see a lot of footage go because of this. If there is anything I can do to minimise the problem just a little, I can work with it. I'm using Vegas pro 17.

Appreciate all help.

Comments

john_dennis wrote on 6/23/2020, 1:31 PM

Studios use audio isolation. The rules of physics have changed since you've been alive. You might try mics with (edit: better) off axis rejection. When I made my living as a drummer, my vocal mic had a lot of sounds to reject.

Some thought my voice should be one of those sounds.

Musicvid wrote on 6/23/2020, 3:28 PM

Easiest approach is to use "cardioid" noise-canceling microphones. That's what John is referring to.

Synne wrote on 6/23/2020, 4:13 PM

Thanks both of you, I will keep that in mind for the future, but I was also hoping there was something I could do in Vegas to make it less noticeable so I could still use some of the footage now.
Of course that might not be possible.

Musicvid wrote on 6/23/2020, 8:22 PM

Assuming the bounceback is significantly lower volume than the main, you could try a fast noise gate, but I don't know how natural it would sound. It's already preloaded in your fx chain.

rraud wrote on 6/24/2020, 9:28 AM

A cardioid headset (or earset mics) would work good in this type of scenario. They isolate the sound well and keeps the mic(s) at a constant distance from the person speaking. Otherwise as was stated, a gate or expander may be able salvage what you already have.

rs170a wrote on 6/24/2020, 4:38 PM

It's not built into Vegas but take a look at RX 7 from iZotope. Lots of users on here and many consider it the gold standard of audio repair tools.
A demo is available. Good luck.
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/rx.html

Mike

vkmast wrote on 6/25/2020, 2:23 AM

@rs170a good to see you're still following the forum.

rs170a wrote on 6/26/2020, 7:45 PM

@vkmast, thanks. Even though I'm long retired i hang out to see what's up with my favourite NLE. On the rare chance that I can offer a suggestion I will. I'm using Pro 12 for the odd personal project so I'm several steps behind these days 😁

Mike