Comments

Musicvid wrote on 6/25/2018, 8:59 PM

MKV is a wrapper. It can contain any of hundreds of codecs. To support MKV means adding multiple codec support within the wrapper.

So, which codecs spefically would you like to see supported in MKV?

AVC is a possibility, but none of the hacks and cracks that typically stream from torrent and pirating servers, by far the biggest source of MKV on the planet.

Mention Divx to a producer of copyrighted, commercial entertainment and see what kind of look you get back, just saying. And it's always the good Indies that get hit the hardest, because the proportional revenue loss begins with the release of its first popular title.

fifonik wrote on 6/25/2018, 10:05 PM

> MKV is a wrapper. It can contain any of hundreds of codecs

So as AVI, MP4 and many other container formats :)

The question is about supporting the container/wrapper, not about about supporting all 'encoders' that can be wrapped in the container (VP does not support all codecs that can be wrapped in AVI/MP4 containers. Even AC3 is not supported in VP15 now, however it used to be supported earlier).

P.S. The piracy stuff you mentioned is a bit off topic here, I think. Quite a lot of videos could be downloaded from torrents in mp4 format. Should Magix ban mp4 as well?

Last changed by fifonik on 6/25/2018, 10:07 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Camcorder: Panasonic X1500 + Panasonic X920 + GoPro Hero 11 Black

Desktop: MB: MSI B450M MORTAR TITANIUM, CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700X, RAM: G'Skill 16 GB DDR4@3200, Graphics card: MSI RX6600 8GB, SSD: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB (NVMe, OS), Samsung 870 Evo, HDD WD 4TB, HDD Toshiba 4TB, OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2

NLE: Vegas Pro [Edit] 11, 12, 13, 15, 17, 18, 19

dream wrote on 6/25/2018, 11:42 PM

so can all possible file format added in vegas pro 16? , or is it too hard even adobe guys even cant done it.

actually, we should done it before adobe.

and there are a lot of things vegas pro needed since through 10 or 13 but we see a minor improvement in vegas pro each year, there a thread about improvement should be done in vp 16 .

i love vegas pro

Musicvid wrote on 6/26/2018, 8:32 AM

People put all kinds of stuff in home-rolled mkv that would not pass muster on a system with commercially licensed codecs. That's my dry version.

john_dennis wrote on 6/26/2018, 9:48 AM

[Techno-philosophical thought for the day]

My life would be enhanced if we had fewer wrappers and codecs, not more.

[/Techno-philosophical thought for the day]

I dabbled with mkv for its ability to do chapter navigation within a file, but have since abandoned the wrapper and the practice. If direct access is important, now, I just use Blu-ray.

Red Prince wrote on 6/26/2018, 11:20 AM

My life would be enhanced if we had fewer wrappers and codecs, not more.

That was my reaction to this thread, too.

He who knows does not speak; he who speaks does not know.
                    — Lao Tze in Tao Te Ching

Can you imagine the silence if everyone only said what he knows?
                    — Karel Čapek (The guy who gave us the word “robot” in R.U.R.)

Kinvermark wrote on 6/26/2018, 11:57 AM

+3. Sorry to pile on, but if you look at HOW MANY problem posts on this forum are related to oddball media types...a little narrower focus seems good to me too.

Musicvid wrote on 6/26/2018, 4:55 PM

Random thoughts--

I am all in for MKV support for AVC/AVCHD/HEVC/XAVC/MXF (various) in Vegas.

All are legit acquisition and post formats used by Vegas professionals here, not as much by backroom pirates.

Divx, x264vfw, WMV, WMA, most MP4, AVI and MOV, I'd rather leave them behind.

And a resounding NO for DVD and BDAV with chapters and language subs. That's the Conflict if Interest with our resident commercial producers I alluded to. We might simply lose some of our best talent, I fear.

Remember, whatever is in MKV can be easily extracted to it's pristine native format. But at your own risk, please, not at the jeapordy of my professional memberships and a source of taxable income.

P.S The piracy stuff you mentioned is a bit off topic here, I think

How so? I get the impression it may seem that way to casual hobbyists with far less to lose...

Want the latest decrypted movie releases today free to edit in Vegas? A lot of our resident producers don't want you doing that, and a commercial class or MPAA action wouldn't seem out of the question if you did.

Now, a second time,

So, which codecs spefically would you like to see supported in MKV?

fifonik wrote on 6/26/2018, 6:52 PM

> So, which codecs spefically would you like to see supported in MKV?

Supporting the same codecs in MKV that are currently supported in MP4/AVI containers would be more than enough.

P.S. I do not personally need it. However, it is widely used these days so I believe it should be supported (for reading).

Camcorder: Panasonic X1500 + Panasonic X920 + GoPro Hero 11 Black

Desktop: MB: MSI B450M MORTAR TITANIUM, CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700X, RAM: G'Skill 16 GB DDR4@3200, Graphics card: MSI RX6600 8GB, SSD: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB (NVMe, OS), Samsung 870 Evo, HDD WD 4TB, HDD Toshiba 4TB, OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2

NLE: Vegas Pro [Edit] 11, 12, 13, 15, 17, 18, 19

Greg-Kintz wrote on 6/26/2018, 8:37 PM

All of our needs and priorities will of course be different, so if they can add it in the next build, it would obviously be a plus for some.

For myself, if I ever need to use an MKV file in Vegas, I do a quick lossless re-wrap to another container format like mp4 or m2ts, which usually does the trick. Re-wrap apps like tsMuxer can be found online for free-99. I would recommend tsMuxer highly, as it offers a variety of useful features that complements many of the output files possible from Vegas Pro..

Musicvid wrote on 6/26/2018, 10:22 PM

You have tested TSMuxer with MKV, right?

MKVExtract is what I've familiar with.

And .ts in MKV might still need to be sanitized, which TSMuxer doesn't do.

Please enlighten.

Greg-Kintz wrote on 6/27/2018, 1:25 AM

As mentioned, have used TSmuxer with MKV files to make mp4s .. maybe a dozen times over the last couple of years. Never had a problem with those re-wrapped files in Vegas.

TSmuxer does a lot of other things outside this particular thread topic. Again - free.

Are there mkv files out there when demuxed could cause an issue in Vegas? I have no doubt there are. But I've seen very rare oddball mp4, mpeg2 and mov files that Vegas didn't like either. That's bound to happen when dealing with a wide variety of files or sources with *any* NLE.

And to further enlighten - If one was dealing with pirated crap, then ANY container codec (not just mkv) with a DTS-MA or Dolby Atmos track would likely find themselves having audio issues when importing into Vegas. And that's certainly not a Vegas problem.

dream wrote on 6/28/2018, 6:07 AM

@Musicvid and @Greg-Kintz do you guys have any software recommendation for batch .mkv to .mp4 without re-encoding .

(i have downloaded tsmuxer but it has virus .)

Musicvid wrote on 6/28/2018, 7:34 AM

If it's .mp4 inside the wrapper, I've used MKVExtract for small projects.

The elegant automated solution is VIdeoRedo h264 version. I haven't tried it with MKV source, but I know how it works, and I highly recommend you download the trial version. Handbrake will re-encode, not demux, so it not well suited for your purpose.

dream wrote on 6/28/2018, 7:47 AM

MeGUI-2836-32

MkvToMp4_0.224

MKVExtractGUI-2.4.0.0

AviDemux.

all has some kind of virus

and found this with no virus

rebox.NET.2993

do the job done but one at a time and audio is low

still looking for batch software or complete package without virus

Former user wrote on 6/28/2018, 7:55 AM

That's the annoying thing with 4k video sources from youtube. Mostly vp9 & no AVC so have to re-encode.

GJeffrey wrote on 6/28/2018, 8:19 AM

Ffmpeg might worth a try... And it's virus free as long as you download it from the original source (like most of the software you mention btw...)

dream wrote on 6/28/2018, 8:24 AM

@GJeffrey yes man its form original source ,dont know why they have the virus

Musicvid wrote on 6/28/2018, 5:02 PM

Does the VideoRedo trial download report a virus? I just downloaded again a month ago and no problemo.

lucasryw wrote on 8/11/2019, 12:33 PM

welcome to the world of gameplay / live stream guys. where mkv is the best for recording, because if something goes wrong with your computer, you don't lose the entire file, like with mp4. I record with OBS and it has the feature to remux to mp4, but it takes TIME, DISK SPACE and unecessary HDD work. why not support MKV(AVC/AAC)?

Musicvid wrote on 8/11/2019, 12:41 PM

Vegas 17 opens some MKV file types.

The answer to your question, you have already put in parenthesis "(AVC/MVC)". That is one of many THOUSANDS of codec combinations that MKV, a wrapper, can support. Would you have Vegas decode every rogue, offbrand codec in existence in order to say it fully supports MKV??

To begin to learn the differences between wrappers and codecs, this tutorial and glossary may be of some help.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/speaking-good-video-a-beginner-s-guide--104463/

Marco. wrote on 8/11/2019, 1:21 PM

"why not support MKV(AVC/AAC)?"

Like Musicvid mentioned above – VP17 does support this kind of MKV (with AVC/AAC in it). At least this kind of MKV works fine on my system mit VP17.

vkmast wrote on 8/11/2019, 1:44 PM

To enable MKV Reader (Experimental) in VPro 17, go to Preferences > File I/O tab.

Former user wrote on 8/11/2019, 7:36 PM

"why not support MKV(AVC/AAC)?"

Like Musicvid mentioned above – VP17 does support this kind of MKV (with AVC/AAC in it). At least this kind of MKV works fine on my system mit VP17.

The most common available MKV files would be 4k video from youtube. They are VP9 video with AAC audio, you can also choose the webm version which is VP9 video with opus audio. Unfortunately Vegas can't work with them. Premiere can work with the webm version via a plugin. Davinci resolve doesn't work with either version.