This is disgusting and hope one day we'll stop seeing these videos.

ScrapyardFilms wrote on 7/9/2020, 7:17 AM

It's sad that this is among the first videos created whenever a new version comes out and that people flock to it to watch. It's just a video explaining hoe to steal from a company that works hard. They truly shouldn't legally be allowed to have this video live. It'd be like YouTube keeping a video on how to rob a bank or how to fake an injury for the insurance money alive and at the top of the search listings.

I'm not a coder by any means but really do hope one day there will be a really good way of keeping software from being so grossly pirated.

Comments

Kinvermark wrote on 7/9/2020, 8:56 AM

+1. I agree, it is offensive. Been a problem for years (particularly for Vegas) and why I refuse to help people who come here asking about SONY Vegas 14,15,16,17,18.... it's almost certainly a pirate.

There is some movement by lawmakers (particularly in the EU) to hold companies like Google and Facebook responsible for policing their content. But it's tricky, as I am sure you can imagine.

Musicvid wrote on 7/9/2020, 9:36 AM

They will never be controlled; they are Schmoos.

Get rid of one, and ten more show up to take their place. Aggressively.

It is incumbent on software makers to develop AI authentication that cannot be trapped, rather than finite algorithms that can.

Only then will the bottom feeders find something else to do with their time.

ScrapyardFilms wrote on 7/9/2020, 9:41 AM

I just wish YouTube was as vigilant at taking down these types of videos (if reported) as they were with immediately giving copyright claims to people.

Kinvermark wrote on 7/9/2020, 1:35 PM

Exactly. It CAN be done, they just don't want to.

Kinvermark wrote on 7/9/2020, 1:37 PM

@Musicvid

You are right, of course, in the broader sense - piracy can pop up all over the net. But Youtube/Facebook, etc. are highly visible and lend a certain kind of legitimacy to the piracy.

Musicvid wrote on 7/9/2020, 1:41 PM

They don't care, and won't until hit with heavy fines.

EricLNZ wrote on 7/9/2020, 6:33 PM

@Musicvid Well said, and it's not just the pirating of video software.

lan-mLMC wrote on 7/9/2020, 7:11 PM

@Musicvid Well said, and it's not just the pirating of video software.

Indeed. All kinds of software encounter this. It seems Youtube indulge them.

But I think it is related to software's security. Edius and Hitfilm Pro can't be pirated.

Hope Vegas will increase its security.

EricLNZ wrote on 7/9/2020, 7:28 PM

Actually @lan-mLMC I wasn't just thinking of software but other things they do, especially Facebook. Like the live streaming of horrific events.

Kinvermark wrote on 7/9/2020, 11:01 PM

Well, whad'ya know, we are all in agreement...for once...it's a miracle! :)

fr0sty wrote on 7/10/2020, 12:19 AM

Yet, Facebook's copy protection can mute my live stream because a dj was playing a copyrighted song in another room...

Steve_Rhoden wrote on 7/10/2020, 2:05 AM

What i detest the most is when users comes on to this forum or on the Creative cow forum seeking assistance and mentioning that they are using a cracked Vegas version...... That alone goes to show the scant regards that exists in regards to owning a software legally.

VEGASDerek wrote on 7/10/2020, 6:25 AM

I would very much like to see an improvement in our software copy protection as well. It is something that is on our radar for the future.

ScrapyardFilms wrote on 7/10/2020, 8:34 AM

It's crazy how smart some people are but choose to use their intelligence in malicious ways. I feel sorry for those people because they were raised so poorly.

Howard-Vigorita wrote on 7/10/2020, 2:29 PM

I would very much like to see an improvement in our software copy protection as well. It is something that is on our radar for the future.

Actually that might not be the best tact. The video OP posted referenced a hack to v17 build 284. Hacks like that tend to be very version specific and when a new version comes out, pirates need to write a new one to keep it relevant. Frequent substantive build updates may be a better defense. Have you noticed how much it pisses off the pirate-clients who come here complaining about a bug only to be informed it was fixed by a later build? Once a month build updates would reduce the pirates to unpaid trial software distributors... unless they all quit in protest.

adimatis wrote on 7/10/2020, 2:52 PM

Frequent updates could be a fix.

Offering a free, limited version could be another.

Or Reaper way, which is un-expiring demo version and trust its user to do the right thing after all...

If you look at various media production system, they stopped being pirated when they introduced dongles and iLok (or similar) and the software code itself was so mingled with the security system that was basically impossible to separate them. Cubase DAW is now at what, version 10 and they have not been cracked for about 4 or 5 generations, as an example.

Anyway, I think software developers are really only in part upset with this. While yes, ideally they would like every copy of their product to be paid for and drop them some income, they accept I think that the reality is different and at least they hope for growing their user base so that a good number of them will eventually pay for a proper licence.

Reyfox wrote on 7/11/2020, 1:08 PM

Reaper (I own it) is inexpensive enough compared to say, Vegas Edit.

Not a fan of pirates though. I usually comment to them that I hope someone pirate's their labor too.

iLok is a pain. Installing SpectraLayers 6 for me was like gymnastics. I got it to work eventually, but don't ask me to repeat how I managed to install it. I would not want VP to be like that.

ceejay7777 wrote on 7/12/2020, 6:30 AM

+1. I agree, it is offensive. Been a problem for years (particularly for Vegas) and why I refuse to help people who come here asking about SONY Vegas 14,15,16,17,18.... it's almost certainly a pirate.

There is some movement by lawmakers (particularly in the EU) to hold companies like Google and Facebook responsible for policing their content. But it's tricky, as I am sure you can imagine.

... well you'll no doubt have a problem with me then ... still using (a perfectly legal) v10e😁😁

Dexcon wrote on 7/12/2020, 6:37 AM

@ceejay7777  ... I don't think that the comment was aimed at you as Vegas Pro 10 was indeed a Sony product. The issue lies with those who depict VP 14 and onwards as being Sony Vegas Pro which, of course, aren't Sony products.

Last changed by Dexcon on 7/12/2020, 6:49 AM, changed a total of 2 times.

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX100E; GoPro Hero 11 Black Creator Edition

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 2TB Samsung 990 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

E: drive: 2TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD

F: drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

Dell Ultrasharp 32" 4K Color Calibrated Monitor

vkmast wrote on 7/12/2020, 6:43 AM

He's not assuming or implying that the previous versions may be illegal. Sony Vegas vs. VEGAS

Dexcon wrote on 7/12/2020, 6:48 AM

@vkmast  ... sorry ... a sort of typo. I unintentionally omitted the word 'not' just prior to 'aimed at you'. It has now been corrected. Many thanks for pointing it out. Apologies again.

EDIT: I was wrong - that's just made a double negative - so I've changed it back to the way it was. Lock down Mark II isn't going well.

Last changed by Dexcon on 7/12/2020, 6:52 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

Musicvid wrote on 7/12/2020, 7:20 AM

okWhat i detest the most is when users comes on to this forum or on the Creative cow forum seeking assistance and mentioning that they are using a cracked Vegas version...... That alone goes to show the scant regards that exists in regards to owning a software legally.

Well said. Discovering how many people have no investment in the software, and thus in their incessant questions, and yes, badgering, has left me disillusioned and discouraged, and wondering what role I've played in enabling a generation of petty crooks. It's a mentality unfortunately being promoted at all levels of society, and makes me kind of glad to be living out the last quadrant of my existence, rather than the first. I pray for the billions of lost youth in this post-compassion era.

Dexcon wrote on 7/12/2020, 7:29 AM

@Musicvid ... OT and relating to children is this quote:

The children now love luxury; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are tyrants, not servants of the households. They no longer rise when their elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize over their teachers.

Author: Socrates (469-399 BC)

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

vkmast wrote on 7/12/2020, 7:48 AM

@Dexcon I was referring here to the comment ceejay quoted, not yours with which I agree. You just were a bit quicker than myself;)

And sorry to read about the re-lockdown in your area. I guess we've been (so far) much luckier here than in our neighbour country (see Dr Zen here).