** I STOPPED MAINTAINING THIS LIST IN LATE 2020. SOME LISTED ISSUES HAVE BEEN FIXED SINCE THAT. MANY REMAIN. SO THE LIST MAY STILL BE OF VALUE AS A REFERENCE. **
This is an unofficial list of some issues known to the community in the latest version & build of VEGAS Pro. It is not a comprehensive list.
To be listed below, an issue preferably has to either be acknowledged by MAGIX or verified by a number of users.
Issues that are marked, for example, [VP14+] affect that earlier version and all since it. Some of the issues marked [VP≤13+] also affect versions earlier than VP13.
For issues that are not listed, please comment on a relevant existing post, or the pinned "General Discussion" post for the latest version, or start a new post.
Please message me or another moderator if you believe an issue has been fixed, incorrectly listed, or overlooked.
The Release History post lists issues that have been fixed and new features.
UNOFFICIAL KNOWN ISSUES
- [VP17+] FXHome FX from Ignite Pro 4.0 and earlier, Ignite Express, Hitfilm Movie Essentials and Hitfilm Boost Pack do not appear.
- [VP17+] Lossless UHD AVC or HEVC file rendered with NVENC is zero bytes (also).
- [VP17?] NVENC rendering on some systems gives low memory error unless Dynamic RAM Preview max is set to 0.
- [VP16+] The Vegas process continues to run after exiting in some undefined circumstances, particularly in Windows 7.
- [VP16+] In the Advanced Save Utility, "Last backup for current project" wrongly displays "None".
- [VP16+] Burning Blu-ray Disc image fails ("Failed to connect to an IPC port").
- [VP16+] Luminance in Nits in the ST.2084 video scopes is incorrect for 8-bit and 32-bit floating point (video levels) projects.
- [VP16+] [Scripting] PixelFormat.Float32BitFullRange throws an exception.
- [VP16+] An event with a leading transition does not shift to the right when another event is dragged immediately before it using the storyboard.
- [VP15+] Selective Prerender does not work with MAGIX AVC/AAC in VCE mode.
- [VP15+] MAGIX AVC in AVC VCE encode mode renders with lower bit rate than requested.
- [VP15+] In a 29.970 fps project, the 87th frame of a 29.290 fps NVENC-rendered AVC event is repeated once, unless the project properties are matched to the NVENC-rendered file or the event length is less than 200 frames.
- [VP15+] The frame rate in some render templates (e.g. MAGIX AVC/AAC and MAGIX ProRes) reverts to 23,976 in localized versions that use a comma as a decimal separator (e.g. German or Italian version)(possibly fixed in VP16 build 352)
- [VP15+] Overwriting an MP3 or AC-3 file renders a silent file (also here, here & here).
- [VP15+] The audio time-stretch percentage (shown if Active Take Information is on) is obscured by the "hamburger" and Event FX button when Event Headers are off.
- Issues related to the So4 compound reader:
- [VP15+] Markers and regions saved internally in Sony AVC files (i.e. saved in a pre-VP15 version or in VP15+ with socompoundplug disabled) do not appear unless so4compoundplug is disabled.
- [VP15+] Timecode in Canon 5D Mark IV MOV files is not correctly read.
- [VP15+] ADPCM audio in Casio action camera MOV footage is distorted.
- Issues related to the MAGIX ProRes/Intel HEVC decoder:
- [VP15+] 8-bit HEVC QSV rendering requires monitor to be connected to motherboard (also).
- [VP14+] Intel 10-bit HEVC renders 1920x1080 to 1920x1088.
- [VP14+] The end of 23.976/29.97/59.94fps HEVC & ProRes events is not visually quantized.
- [VP14+] Slow opening (& crashing) when importing ProRes/HEVC files (ProRes, HEVC, HEVC).
- [VP14+] Panasonic 5K and 6K GH5 HEVC files do not play back smoothly.
- [VP14+] ProRes from Convergent Odyssey7Q is pixellated.
- [VP14+] HE-AAC LC SBR audio plays with incorrectly low pitch.
- [VP14+] Alpha channel of ProRes 4444 video is not recognized (also).
- GPU-related decoding issues:
- [VP17+] Warp Flow transition crashes with GPU acceleration and no-longer-supported AMD Radeon HD GPU.
- [VP14+] Colors render incorrectly with AMD Vega GPUs (e.g. blue skin tones) (may be fixed with recent drivers).
- [VP≤13+] Defocus & Starburst FX crash VEGAS with AMD GPU acceleration (reported to be improved in VP15 build 311).
- [VP≤13+] With AMD GPU, the external preview flickers black when editing multicam with the slide (or slip) tool.
- [VP≤13+] If VEGAS Pro is opened with an NVIDIA GPU (rather than Intel integrated graphics) with a driver version later than 382.53, and that GPU is selected in GPU acceleration of video processing, the effect of FX and text adjustments is not shown in the Preview window until the FX control window is dismissed.
- [VP14+] Anti-aliasing of downscaled media is insufficiently smooth when its alpha channel information is set to Straight (unmatted), Premultiplied, or Premultiplied (dirty) and GPU acceleration is OFF.
- [VP14+] Using script to nest project containing XAVC-S causes hang.
- [VP14+] Interlaced 1440x1080 AVI files are read as progressive by default.
- [VP14+] On Windows 7, the display adapter does not appear when "Windows Graphics Card" is selected in the Preview Device preferences. .NET Framework 4.6.2 must be installed. (also)(also)(also).
- [VP14+] On Windows 7, Titles & Text and ProType Titler require .NET Framework 4.6.2 to be installed for correct functionality.
- [VP14+] Some legacy bundled NewBlueFX plugins cause crash (Titler Pro 1 that was bundled with VP12, Titler EX (OFX) that was bundled with VMS Platinum Suite v13).
- [VP14+] Render custom settings "Plug-In Help" windows don't open when ? is clicked.
- [VP14+] XAVC-L in MXF container: Poor playback issue. Out-of-memory issue.
- [VP14+] Glitching with VST audio plugins including WAVES (also)(also).
- [VP14+] Poor preview or crashes with BlackMagic devices: Intensity Pro 4K. Decklink 4K Extreme 12G (possibly improved in VP16 build 307)
- [VP14+] The Interpolate fields deinterlace method is wrongly used for alternate half-seconds when PAL DV is converted to 1080-23.976p using the Blend fields deinterlace method.
- [VP14+] Export DaVinci Resolve XML: Media offline error.
- [VP≤13+] Media Manager does not function correctly with Windows 10 Anniversary edition or later.
- [VP≤13+] HDV/MPEG-2 does not truly smart render.
- [VP≤13+] CTRL+X hangs VEGAS while playing timeline with auto-ripple on (also).
- [VP≤13+] CTRL+Selection Edit Tool does not select all events (example at end of the video)(also).
- [VP≤13+] Tags on sub-clips are lost when exiting.
- [VP≤13+] Hang after adjusting master fader (some users only) (also).
- [VP≤13+] Truncated audio with AVC/AAC renders.
- [VP≤13+] Markers and regions saved internally in XAVC-S files (e.g. by VP13/14 or by cameras) do not appear.
- [VP≤13+] 8-bit grayscale images decode with insufficient luminance in 32-bit floating point projects.
- [VP≤13+] Some installed fonts are not available or do not work in VEGAS Titles & Text (link, link, link).
- [VP≤13+] Most Polish fonts cannot be used in (Legacy) Text or Titles & Text.
- [VP≤13+] Large DV and HDV projects open faster in VP10 (32-bit) than in VP12-15.
- [VP≤13+] Stereoscopic 3D with NVIDIA 3D Vision gives only 2D preview in Win10 (but 3D in Win7/Win8.1).
- [VP≤13+] CEA708 closed captioning does not function correctly.
- [VP≤13+] Saturated colors are significantly shifted in the MainConcept encode mode of the MAGIX AVC/AAC encoder.
- [VP≤13+] When the Slip Tool is used with "Video Event Edge Edit Frames" (on the View menu) unchecked, the aspect ratio is doubled (i.e. double width).
- [VP≤13+] Multiple channels of audio do not open in XAVC-Intra files from Sony FS7 camera.
- [VP≤13+] The "View transform" setting in Project Properties returns to "ACES RRT (sRGB)" after a restart, despite checking "Start all new projects with these settings".
- [VP≤13+] Korean text is presented incorrectly in the (Legacy) Text generator.
- [VP≤13+] In the Mixing Console, the width of only the right-most channel can be adjusted using the "Channel Width" controls in the context menu.
- [VP≤13+] Clicking & holding the Previous Frame/Next Frame buttons in the Timeline Toolbar does not move the cursor multiple frames.
- [VP≤13+] Keyframes in pasted velocity envelopes are all incorrectly displayed on the first frame of the target event if it existed before the last project opening.
- [VP≤13+] Searching Help after adding a 3rd-party FX causes hang.
- [VP≤13+] Cannot open more than approximately 40 unique 4k Quicktime Motion JPEG files from the Canon EOS 5D mk IV.
- [VP≤13+] When sorting by Type in the VEGAS Explorer window, secondary sorting of files within each type is random, but should be by Name.
- [VP≤13+] Cannot import or export Adobe Premiere Pro 13 project.
- [VP≤13+] Audio FX are lost when VEGAS Project Archive is exported.
- [VP≤13+] Sharp keyframe causes crash when internal preference "Draw Keyframe Gradients" is enabled.
- [VP≤13+] Wholly-obscured video events adversely affect performance when Track or Event FX apply to the obscuring events.
- [VP≤13+] UHD XAVC Long renders are clipped at 16-235.
- [VP≤13+] The length of FX keyframe spline curve handles has no effect on the shape of the curve.
- [VP≤13+] Interpolation of an FX keyframe can only be adjusted manually using the spline curve handle to the left of the keyframe if the preceding keyframe is also set to "Manual" or "Split Manual".
- Documentation/Help Errors:
- [VP17+] The "?" button on the Slow Motion FX opens neither Help, nor a notification that there is no Help.
- [VP17+] The "?" button on the Color Grading Video Event FX window incorrectly opens the help for the LUT Filter.
- [VP17+] A font used in the PDF manual does not display correctly in Adobe Reader in some versions of Windows 10.
OFFICIAL KNOWN ISSUES
Below are the official known issues listed in the Release Notes at C:/Program Files/VEGAS/VEGAS Pro 18.0/readme/Vegas_readme.htm
- Some video effects may exhibit incorrect behavior when running on NAVI based AMD GPUs. Turning off GPU acceleration in the Video preferences can allow these effects to run properly. A future driver update for these GPUs may fix this problem.
- If you are printing a rendered file to HDV tape, the file must precisely conform to the target HDV device and file type requirements, or the print-to-tape operation will fail. Rendering using the provided HDV MPEG-2 render templates—unmodified in any way—is required to successfully print to HDV tape.
- VEGAS Pro templates for rendering multichannel audio in .wav/.wav64, .avi, and .mxf formats may be visible in other VEGAS applications that do not support multichannel audio. Using these templates in other applications will not produce the desired result and should be avoided.
- Under some uncommon conditions on multiprocessor machines, you may encounter stability problems when using some Waves 5.2 plug-ins. In most cases, the stability issues can be resolved by clearing the Enable track buffering check box in VEGAS Pro (Options > Preferences > Audio Device).
- You may not be able to render files larger than 4 GB using some combinations of settings in the Sony AVC encoder.
- If you have multiple VEGAS or MAGIX applications (such as ACID, Sound Forge, CD Architect, etc.) installed, uninstalling other applications may cause your audio plug-ins to be removed from VEGAS Pro. To restore your audio plug-ins, uninstall and reinstall VEGAS Pro.
- When the Show Video Monitor button in the Trimmer window is selected, video that you preview from the VEGAS Explorer and Media Manager windows is played back in the Trimmer. Because the Trimmer is placed in the same window dock as the Explorer and Media Manager, you will not see your video preview. To preview Explorer and Media Manager video, you can drag the Trimmer to a new dock group, or you can turn off the Show Video Monitor button to preview in the Video Preview window.
- The Step Forward and Step Backward buttons in the Capture window are not supported by all HDV devices.
- If your project contains still-image sequences, segmented .r3d files, or P2 MXF files, do not select the Copy media with project check box in the Save As dialog. Some frames or segments may not be saved when this check box is selected.
- Installing driver 2.21 for the PDW-UI XDCAM drive can prevent VEGAS from starting. Uninstalling the driver or upgrading to version 2.3 will resolve the issue.
- If you're running two instances of VEGAS Pro, external control devices are available only to the first instance of the software.
- When using the Stereoscopic 3D Graphic Card as your preview device with an nVidia 3D Vision for Quadro or 3D Vision Pro setup on a Windows Vista machine, the 3D output may stop when opening another window (such as a video FX property page). If this occurs, please make sure you have the latest graphic card driver and 3D Vision USB driver installed. If installing the latest drivers does not fix the problem, try switching the primary and secondary monitors. There is also a known issue where content on the main window will flicker. This can be fixed by moving another window over the portions of the window that are flickering and then closing the overlapping window.
- We recommend Windows 7 for nVidia 3D Vision for Quadro setups.
- Rendering CineForm Neo3D files requires CineForm NeoHD, Neo4K, or Neo3D 5.1 (or newer) or GoPro-CineForm Studio, Studio Premium or Studio Professional. The CineForm Neo Player is not compatible with other CineForm products. Do not install Neo Player if you have another CineForm product installed.
- CEA608 and CEA708 closed captions are supported over HD-SDI on AJA cards only. Line 21 captions are supported on AJA and DeckLink cards.
- Right-clicking a media file and choosing Edit Source Project fails to load the project path saved in the media file for media rendered using the following settings: MainConcept AVC/AAC and Sony AVC (Memory Stick templates only).
- In order for some devices to appear in the Device Explorer window, you may need to change the device’s USB Connect setting from Automatic or MTP to Mass Storage.
- The Tools > Burn Disc > DVD with Menus and Tools > Burn Disc > Blu-ray Disc with Menus commands are unavailable if DVD Architect Pro is not installed.
- If you want to use RAW camera files in your project, the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack will allow you to view RAW camera files and add them to the timeline.
- When previewing through an SDI video preview device, audio and video quality issues may occur when previewing 720p video.
- When using an AJA SDI device, AJA driver version 10.1 is required for audio and video preview. Do not use driver version 10.3.
- For best results when previewing audio through an SDI video preview device, please turn off Video Preview on External Monitor before loading a project or changing project formats.
- 24p pulldown removal is not currently available for Panasonic P2 files.
- Some MOV files recorded by devices running Apple iOS 6 may fail to read correctly when using QuickTime 7.7.2. Updating to QuickTime 7.7.3 resolves the issue.
- When using some source files with highly saturated colors, you may notice color variations after rendering when the Project Properties > Video > Pixel Format is set to 8-bit. Change the setting to 32-bit floating point (video levels) to prevent IRE levels from clipping.
- When using AMD Catalyst 13.4, Video Preview on External Monitor does not work correctly when using a display that is rotated into portrait mode.
- Shot marks are not read correctly when copying DVCAM clips directly from an XDCAM Station. The shot marks are displayed correctly when you use the VEGAS XDCAM Explorer to import clips.
- Only 4:2:0 10-bit HEVC rendering is supported.
- Storyboards do not handle multiple instances of the same media.
- Replacing a piece of media in a storyboard does not replace it on the timeline.
- Using import media function to import media directly main timeline storyboard does not update the main timeline.
- Auto-scrolling does not work within the storyboard.
- Reordering media in the storyboard resets the in/out points to beginning/end.
- Checkerboard artifacts may be visible in HDR external preview when preview quality is set to "Best" with certain kinds of footage; please switch to "Good" quality in such scenarios; this does not affect the actual rendered output